(Book Spoilers) Jon Snow's Ability

TheNorth's1stKnight

I see it most likely going down one of two ways: either through Jojen or Bloodraven.

To individually introduce warging in either Jon or Arya might take up too much time in the show, or it could confuse Unsullied audiences who arent aware that warging can be an inherited trait. As book readers, we know the importance of the blood in the Starks and their connection to their direwolves, but Unsullied might not exactly to jump to that conclusion. It makes more sense, to me at least, that D&D will want to somehow include in the narrative that Bran's warging into Summer isn't completely unique, and it fits the pacing of the show better to have an explanation to Jon/Arya's abilities before they actually mature into their power.

So to me, it seems more likely that either Jojen or Bloodraven will inform Bran more in-depth about the origins of his powers before we see Arya and Jon use them. Since the finale is titled the Children, I'm assuming we meet Bloodraven and the CotF there, which means after the escape from Craster's Keep we have episodes 6,7, and 8 (9 I think will be strictly reserved for the Battle at the Wall) of possible traveling time for Bran and Co to do nothing but talk. It would be a perfect opportunity for Jojen to inform Bran that warging comes from his blood. However, if this doesn't happen, and assuming D&D don't choose to cut Jon/Arya abilities (which I don't think they will, theyre too important), then this information will likely be presented to audiences through Bloodravens tutelage in Season 5.

It just seems to fit the pacing of the show IMO to already have Unsullied audiences prepared for the possibility that the other Starks are magical before hitting them with a oh-what-the-fuck-Jon's-eyes-are-white-what-is-happening-omg-magic that could confuse them

Nothing to add. Well said.

I think maybe Jon will get reunited with Ghost next episode (or later) and, as he seems to be growing into himself very nicely this season, will learn that saying an oath doesn't un-make who you are. You can't "lock up" your identity without consequence; that foresaking your claim to lands, titles, and not fathering children doesn't negate the lessons you learned from your family or your childhood experiences. That sort of legalistic interpretation of the NW vows is pretty immature, but very much in line with an angry, bastard, adolescent Jon Snow. But now he's growing up. We may (again only visually) see Jon accept his childhood and Stark-ness (through the Wildlings' seeing Jon as "The Ned's" bastard) and realize it only makes him more complete. So when Stannis offers him Winterfell, he can deny it for the right reasons, with a full understanding of the offer and the reasons for his decision.

I like what you're saying there.

I see it most likely going down one of two ways: either through Jojen or Bloodraven.

[[snip]

So to me, it seems more likely that either Jojen or Bloodraven will inform Bran more in-depth about the origins of his powers before we see Arya and Jon use them. Since the finale is titled the Children, I'm assuming we meet Bloodraven and the CotF there, which means after the escape from Craster's Keep we have episodes 6,7, and 8 (9 I think will be strictly reserved for the Battle at the Wall) of possible traveling time for Bran and Co to do nothing but talk. It would be a perfect opportunity for Jojen to inform Bran that warging comes from his blood.

Oh I see. I'm not a big fan of that dialogue option, but yeah, that could definitely work too.

It just seems to fit the pacing of the show IMO to already have Unsullied audiences prepared for the possibility that the other Starks are magical before hitting them with a oh-what-the-fuck-Jon's-eyes-are-white-what-is-happening-omg-magic that could confuse them

It could happen the way you say, but I don't think that they have to set up anything before they show it. Actually, I can't see why surprising the audience like that is a bad thing.

It could happen the way you say, but I don't think that they have to set up anything before they show it. Actually, I can't see why surprising the audience like that is a bad thing.

Personally, I don't think its a bad thing. I would love to see Unsullied audiences go wait-what-the-fuck. And before last weeks episode, I wouldn't have thought that they needed to set up anything for audiences to realize what might be happening to the Starks could be related. However, after Oathkeeper aired, I read comments here on the forum, and on other places like WinterisComing, etc., where the Unsullied were still confused about Olenna's involvement in Joff's death. Even after all the connections that were made, some people still just didn't get it, which surprised the hell out of me. To me, at least as a book reader, there has been plenty of material in the show for Jon or Arya to start warging. But if people can be confused by Olenna's involvement, it doesn't make me overly optomistic that they can tie all of the Stark kids' magical abilities to their bloodline.

Also, maybe them introducing it slowly in dialogue could benefit other areas of future material too. Having actual narrative proof of the fact that Starks are definitely not normal (supernatural attachments/connections) opens the door for Unsullied audiences to be more accepting/not as confused when the show gets around to possibly hitting us with things like the Nights King, Bran the Builder, etc.

Archived