Reading in August

Multaniette

A brief description of what you are reading and/or your thoughts about it will be very helpful to a lot of people looking for recommendations based on similiar taste. :)

I am currently reading through the Monarchies of God saga by Paul Kearney.

It is one of the most brilliant fantasy series I have ever read. Fast paced, action packed with memorable characters in an exotic backdrop of epic battles, political intrigue and voyages of discovery. Kearney is an author who does not shy away from depicting the hard and fast realities of a world on the verge of industrialization, suitably tempered with magic and the arcane.

I find his prose to be rich in its brevity, except for certain portions where he gets a bit carried away with the naval slang. The world is contructed such that you can find obvious parallel's in human history without the series turning into historical or AU fiction.

For comparison, I will put Kearney on the same level as Tad Williams/R. Scott Bakker and above Keyes, Erikson, Hobb, West, Marillier and Carey.

I'm reading A Feast for Crows at the moment, I've only discovered ASoIaF in the last month. After that it's on to the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. After that, maybe next month I'll read the Sword of Truth series even after all the bad reviews. I've read the first book, and it was decent, and I have the first six in total just sitting here for a year now since they were given to me last summer.

I plan on starting out the month by reading Vellum. I've heard so much about the damn book I decided to see what all the hub-bub was about... after that I think I'll pick up either Salvatore or Erickson... it all depends on the price of the books and their length. The longer the better.

I've finished the first 5 books of Amber, which I liked very much, although I now have the slight suspicion that my beloved Neil Gaiman inspired himself quite a bit there when he started writing.

I've started the sixth book of Amber. I've heard people say that the last 5 books aren't as good as the first series, but so far it looks decent.

Still stuck in the middle of Shadowmarch, Tailchaser's Song, Dreamquest [...] and The Golden Bough.

Still queued: Fevre Dream, Dying of the Light, HP and the Halfblood Prince.

At the moment, I'm reading Dark Tower series by Stephen King, and I'm near the end of The Waste Lands. It's great so far. Next on my reading list is The Cell, also by King, and after that, I'll probably try Tad Williams.

At the moment, I'm reading Dark Tower series by Stephen King, and I'm near the end of The Waste Lands. It's great so far. Next on my reading list is The Cell, also by King, and after that, I'll probably try Tad Williams.
The Dark Tower series is one of my favorites. I love reading about Mid-World,
SPOILER: Minor
though not so much of reading about variations of our own world.
It was an excellent story, and of course Roland is an awesome character.

I also liked the concept behind The Cell, it was a decent read.

I just finished Sundiver and The Warrior-Prophet. Currently reading The Thousandfold Thought. Sundiver was good, though I hear it's a little different from the rest of the Uplift books. Looking forward to reading the rest. The Prince of Nothing books are good, but the whole prophet thing is starting to get on a my nerves a bit.

Guest Raidne

I'm finally starting Anansi Boys, and then I'm going to read Kim Stanley Robinson's The Memory of Whiteness (against my better judgment). Then I'm going to finish Bakker's Prince of Nothing series.

I finished Kay's Last Light of the Sun and started the Gardens of the Moon - the first book I am reading by Erikson.

So far it is a mess of short POVs jumping in time overloaded with batallions, regiments, half-introduced characters and all I could get was: Empress is Bad, she killed Good Emperor before her; Mages without Licence are outlaws; mages presumably with licences are evil as well; there are lots of wars going on in differenty places.

After I either manage to figure out what's what in Erikson's book or drop it, I'm planning to read one of McKillip's books (something about the Stone Tower or Wood?), then hopefully either Locke Lamora or Forest Mage will show up in the library.

I am also getting the Thousandfold Thought if it is available in the store for signing, so it is another alternative.

Oberoll, I am not very happy with what I am going to read, I hope that Erikson will prove better as he progresses, that Lynch is better than Bakker or that Hobb's book will actually be not as bad as some tell.

I've read "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" by Charles Dickens. :)

At first I've thought, It isn't a very good idea, to read an unfinished book. But then I've decided to try.

Well. I didn't know, it was SO unfinished.

Now I'm losing myself in conjectures and living in obscurity :rolleyes:

I'm reading Eldest.

Don't judge me. I have my reasons. ^_^;;

I've also got The Picture of Dorian Grey in the to-read pile. Must be man of weight and substance. Must learn to appreciate the classics.

Finally, I hope that I might get around to reading Cryptonomicon this month. I've only gotten to page 50 so far, and I'm told that the action doesn't pick up until around page 200. Oh well, at least Stephenson's way of writing is a bit amusing.

So this month, I'm reading one book because I promised a friend, another book because I want to improve my taste, and a third book because I'm told it eventually gets better? Hmm. This is turning out to be a rather bleak month, reading-wise...

Empress is Bad, she killed Good Emperor before her

Oh, she's not that bad. And he wasn't that good. And she didn't really kill him. It's complicated.

I hope that Erikson will prove better as he progresses..

Erikson gets better each book. GoTM was a task to finish as far as I was concerned.. it suffered from first time writer and bad editor syndrome. I'm about 60% done with Memories of Ice and I'm quite enjoying it as I enjoyed Deadhouse Gates. Erikson knows he has 10 books to complete the story and is making use of it. He doesn't seem to be in any hurry to go to indepth into any one character too fast. Over all it's progressing pretty well though... if you can make it through book one.

Finished The Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield, and I enjoyed it a lot. His best since Tides of war.

Probably will move onto War and Peace. Haven't read some Russian lit in a while and I'm suffering withdrawal.

On the non-fiction front, I'm about a hundred pages into I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be An Atheist By Norm Geisler and Frank Turek. So far it is really exellent apologetics. I am a Christian, but I'm trying to read the book critically, and so far I can't see any holes in their arguments.

Archived