Marriage Consummation? (Book spoilers)

Whipsy

So, combined with the fact that they've aged Tommen up quite a bit and the Margaery (eye-fuck) Tyrell scene that we had in this episode, is it safe to assume that they are going to have Tommen consummate his marriage with her? Would that not throw off a certain dynamic with the Cersei/Margaery trial later? Cersei uses claims that Margaery's marriage is invalid with Tommen since she is no longer a virgin and Tommen isn't old enough to consummate their marriage yet. Plus, all of the infidelity accusations with various singers and the like. Will Cersei instead use a different track in her quest to dethrone and behead Marg? Or will they still try to post-pone consummation?

Maybe they will claim she had slept with people prior to the mariage and use the moontea as evidence since it can be easily be claimed to have been consumed prior to the mariage? But I was thinking the same thing actually.

Surely he cant be that old though? He is still Joffery's younger brother and Joffery was meant to be 15-16 in the show wasnt he? Making Tommen 13-14?

I have the feeling Margaery kissing him on the forhead already gave a pretty good indication, how they wanna play it.

On screen I actually like this "OMG there is a girl in my room and she's sort of hot" shyness of Tommen and Margaery using it. The books concerning age especially still feel a little more cruel, so I don't know if it would have worked there, but for the show I almost prefer it over the younger Tommen who doesn't have any clue.

I asume Margaery will keep it at the "You are the king and we do just what you feel you really want to and we don't have to tell the others, if you don't want it yet, it's gonna be our secret" level and Tommen is too shy to "make a move" on her and I think this can work out just fine.

The prospect of consummation should be there only for the Unsullied, no? Once Tywin's dead, no-one is going to order this kid to make babies. There's nothing to indicate that the sweet little Tommen at the age of 8, admirer or kittens, will be all about pussy and weed once he hits puberty. Personality-wise, with an over-protective mother and a hyper-intimidating grandfather and an erratic, sadistic big brother (who also gets all the attention all the time), the table could be set for him to be sweet little Tommen for the rest of his life. Margaery might try and fail, this is easy enough to accomplish with Cersei's wrath

Knowing 14/15 year old boys it will be Tommen telling anybody who will listen that he nailed her....even if he hasn't.

His friends (if he had any) probably, but I doubt he would tell it to Tywin like this and if he does I can't wait to see it. :D

When Tommen was recast older, I was still sure that there wouldn't be any consummation, but after the scene with Tywin where he drags Tommen off to go explain the birds and the bees, I'm not so sure :dunno:

Yeah me too. But I'm pretty sure the "birds and bees" talk was done intentionally to lead the viewers into the bedroom scene. Everyone now knows what's going through Tommen's head (or something) while he's sitting there under the covers and a hot chick sneaks into his room to tell him "This will be OUR little secret.... " with a whole lot of big eyed suggestiveness. So if they don't consummate it will be even more dramatic for viewers because they've been led to believe in two scenes now it's going to happen. Also, Margaery's been a Queen non-consummated THREE times now. That's sort of the running joke. They can't do away with that! :bawl:

I think they will postpone it still, he cant be any older than 14. But they will probably keep up the tension so tomnen is under marg's thumb and still despised by cersei

I thought that TV-Tommen is supposed to be 12; which is a little young for even a Westerosi boy-king to be consummating a marriage, I believe.

Are they going to even have Marg marry him? I don't think having that marriage is necessary for the plot. I suspect they will just announce it as a betrothal until Tommen comes of age. Then carry on as usual. The populace will still think of Marg as their Queen, even if she's just the Queen in waiting and Cersei will still be trying to wrest control away from her.

Are they going to even have Marg marry him? I don't think having that marriage is necessary for the plot. I suspect they will just announce it as a betrothal until Tommen comes of age. Then carry on as usual. The populace will still think of Marg as their Queen, even if she's just the Queen in waiting and Cersei will still be trying to wrest control away from her.

I think this is possible but unlikely. They did show Tommen's coronation in the previews but there's been no hint of a wedding and Margaery's even quoted asking her Grandmother if it's even going to happen because "no one tells me anything" or something like that. Olenna doesn't really confirm it either. However, if she stays his 'betrothed' it gives Cersei way too much power and that's not going to work for the story arc at all. We're supposed to see the power struggle and her downward spiral out of control. If she's still the 'defacto' Queen and Margaery's reduced to 'fiance'' then she can easily be gotten rid of whereas a truly married Queen cannot.

I think this is possible but unlikely. They did show Tommen's coronation in the previews but there's been no hint of a wedding and Margaery's even quoted asking her Grandmother if it's even going to happen because "no one tells me anything" or something like that. Olenna doesn't really confirm it either. However, if she stays his 'betrothed' it gives Cersei way too much power and that's not going to work for the story arc at all. We're supposed to see the power struggle and her downward spiral out of control. If she's still the 'defacto' Queen and Margaery's reduced to 'fiance'' then she can easily be gotten rid of whereas a truly married Queen cannot.

Why/How does that give Cersei any more power?

Cersei automatically has less power due to the simple fact that Tommen is older and can be expected to make some amount of decisions on his own. Marg's power always came from being the popular choice for the smallfolk and her influence on Tommen.

How does Cersei have more influence than in the book, under this circumstance?

When Tommen was recast older, I was still sure that there wouldn't be any consummation, but after the scene with Tywin where he drags Tommen off to go explain the birds and the bees, I'm not so sure :dunno:

I think thats there to tease us, and that Tommen learns about such things, but doesnt necessarily understand them.

is it safe to assume that they are going to have Tommen consummate his marriage with her?

Highly, highly doubt it. In fact, i think Marg is going to take on the whole Cool Big Sis role because poor Tommen is too young to manipulate in that way. Marg realized that during their chat. Its "oh this kid is nothing like his brother. Omg. Hes just a kid, literally. Welp..shift gears here.."

So..

No.

This.

Why/How does that give Cersei any more power?

Cersei automatically has less power due to the simple fact that Tommen is older and can be expected to make some amount of decisions on his own. Marg's power always came from being the popular choice for the smallfolk and her influence on Tommen.

How does Cersei have more influence than in the book, under this circumstance?

Cersei still had plenty of power even when it was Joffrey and Sansa was his intended bride instead of Queen... she influenced a lot of his opinion and treatment of Sansa and it made Sansa easily disposable. Margaery is a much different kettle of fish, obviously because the Tyrells and Lannisters have forged an alliance (thus the marriage and power are more implicit) but it still gives Cersei the upper hand until the day Margaery is married and becomes the 'official' queen. That power struggle between them was very important in the books. I doubt they'll want to change it and NOT have Margaery and Tommen marry. It doesn't really make any sense.

Margaery is a much different kettle of fish, obviously because the Tyrells and Lannisters have forged an alliance (thus the marriage and power are more implicit) but it still gives Cersei the upper hand until the day Margaery is married and becomes the 'official' queen. That power struggle between them was very important in the books. I doubt they'll want to change it and NOT have Margaery and Tommen marry. It doesn't really make any sense.

:agree: It would be stupid of the showrunners not to have this particular power dynamic between Cersei and Marg in the show as it becomes extremely relevant to Cersei's loss of sanity. Margaery just doesn't weild the same kind of power and doesnt threaten Cersei's influence if she remains unmarried to the current King. So yes they'll most likely marry but remain unbedded because that would be a major risk by D&D (unless they know something further down the line that we don't).

Archived