what's everyones views on jon connington

Im a few chapters away from the end of ADWD and Ive found it to be quite intense and lengthy but a brilliant read. Anyways I was just wondering what peoples views were on jon connington in his POV. I found that I liked Jon and thought that he is one of the few old squires and knights in this novel that actually seem to be really honorable. I find that his chapters are full of nostalgia and that the well being of the taraygen house was one of the top priorities he has always had. As far as I know he hasn't usurped or betrayed anyone and he just seems like quite a loyal old man. Very proud too. Well I like jon anyways. Also I read up on his history and there's also a theory that he may have been in love with prince rhaegar, because of his dislike of the mans wife and the fact he just always seemed to be at his beck and call. He also always seemed to call him his 'silver prince' and he just seems to reminisce like he was talking about somebody he loved romantically. So do you agree with the theory that he may have been gay? And what are your general thoughts on this old hand?

I do apologise sincerely if anything in this topic has been brought up before :)

Jon Connington was so infatuated with Rheagar, he completely ingnored the crimes of Aerys the Mad King and joined the hunt to kill Robert Baratheon for no apparent reason than Aerys wanted it so. Jon Connington was Robert's bannerman no less. Jon Connington was a love sick "fool". For Rheagar.

Yeah I think From that POV he didn't do such a great job and let his infatuation Get on top of his true duty but I still think compared to most of robert baretheon counsel and guards he was know where near as crooked. For me although aerys was mad and needed to be taken care of his family and the youth shouldn't have been crushed by a man who thought he was a hero. Even tywin lannister noted that a hero could never be a kid killer. I think there were much more corrupt people around the taraygen court than jon. He was just at times an utter fool. I think tywin although honourable in his duty at the beginning was harsh and backstabbing towards the mad king and his family but I know that had a lot to do with the fact aerys had lusted after his wife. And offended his family in Cersei's rejected marriage betrothal.

But I do think he still did what was his duty or at least tried. It seems many kings hands and squires will just go along with the kings duties until the going gets tough. And jon stood by his duties which i respect him for. What im saying is my opinion has changed slightly of him but he is still a respectful character to me so far. But yeah he was a fool in love. I like your showcasing of your opinion :)

Hahaha need I say more joncon you have a username dedicated to the man. Yeah there's definitely something about Jon connington that I like and respect. I think he's entertaining to read about and I sort of liked the nostalgic feeling he gave when you read his chapters. Awesome :D. I know they're two totally different characters but if you can remember ser dontos hollard from a clash of kings, well he reminds me of jon. Not because they're anything alike, just because I had the same sort of likeness towards dontos, he was slightly stupid and annoying but none the less he seemed to be a very respectful man in his past. Sort of like he was a forgotten soul just like I think some people forget about the might and the warrior side that was in Jon when he was younger. I get the sort or some respectful feel I had towards him. I just have a thing for some of the old champion knights, I just wanna hug some of them :)

Jorah and JonCon have rather a lot in common, don't they? Grim and gritty Westerosi knight types full of nostalgia for homes they were exiled from, hopelessly in love with a Targaryen, mentors for a Targaryen (so that their hopes for returning home are completely entangled with a Targaryed conquest), at some point filing their days away in a sellsword company. Oh and they treat Tyrion with nearly identical surly, suspicious contempt.

For some reason Jorah is more sympathetic for me, which is probably terribly unfair, but whatever. I can respect JonCon, but not like him. With Jorah it's the other way around.

Yeah In fact I was thinking about the same thing how similar Jon con and Jorah's pasts have been. They've almost paralleled in the areas you mentioned. For me I like Jon cons chapters and I do find some aspects of his personality to be likeable, but at the same time, like you I empathise more for Ser Jorah. I remember feeling almost heartbroken for Jorah when Dany bluntly put that she was never gonna be interested in him and shot him down for being honourable to her. Because as we of course know when he first accompanied Dany he was ordered to betray her in certain ways, but of course he fell in love.

I do respect Jon con in many ways and like some of his characteristics but yeah Jorah for me, is just that little bit more my type of person. I would probably get along with Jorah than I would jon because Jon I think is almost too opinionated at times.

But it's a tough one and unfair to choose because GRRMs characters are or-so flawed and beautifully human. But yeah I see where your coming from and I find your views interesting :).

As a side note I friggin love Tyrion but I do love the brutality in which both knights treat him because I know that Tyrion can take it and that it's just part of both knights personalitys.

Yeah In fact I was thinking about the same thing how similar Jon con and Jorah's pasts have been. They've almost paralleled in the areas you mentioned. For me I like Jon cons chapters and I do find some aspects of his personality to be likeable, but at the same time, like you I empathise more for Ser Jorah. I remember feeling almost heartbroken for Jorah when Dany bluntly put that she was never gonna be interested in him and shot him down for being honourable to her. Because as we of course know when he first accompanied Dany he was ordered to betray her in certain ways, but of course he fell in love.

I do respect Jon con in many ways and like some of his characteristics but yeah Jorah for me, is just that little bit more my type of person. I would probably get along with Jorah than I would jon because Jon I think is almost too opinionated at times.

But it's a tough one and unfair to choose because GRRMs characters are or-so flawed and beautifully human. But yeah I see where your coming from and I find your views interesting :).

As a side note I friggin love Tyrion but I do love the brutality in which both knights treat him because I know that Tyrion can take it and that it's just part of both knights personalitys.

Yeah, Jorah is generally more approachable and friendlier - or at least he used to be! But he has that can't-spell-sympathetic-without-pathetic thing going on (Silver haired whores, really? REALLY?). OTOH, Jon is a lot further down the same story arc - If Dany died, I can see Jorah turning just as bitter. Not convinced he would handle himself half so well, even with a secret Targ baby to raise.

Another similarity between them - they were both agents of Varys, whom they despise. Which also brings in mind their attitude towards Tyrion: how much of it was because of WHO he was and how much was his appearance/reputation?

Not sure if it's significant at all - either of them as a plenty of reason to mistrust a Lannister - but having the characters react to the likes of Tyrion, Varys and Brienne is a good shorthand for the author to raise and lower the sympathy levels.

Yeah I still don't get why he is still so hung up about Dany, yeah I do like Dany as a character and for me she's one of the most strongest (for her age) female roles in the book. I like her 'I don't take any shit' attitude and she sort of reminds me of Elizabeth the 1st in the movie about her life. When the Spanish duke tells Elizabeth he can control the wind and it's direction (he's talking about his ships and them coming to England) basically threatening her. She's all like oh-no-you-didn't and replies 'Queen Elizabeth I: I, too, can command the wind, sir! I have a hurricane in me that will strip Spain bare if you dare to try me!

Bit off-topic but in her most noble and determined moments Dany reminds me in some of the things she dares to say to noble lords and kings, of queen Elizabeth the 1st in that moment. I like some of danys qualities but I found in ADWD near the end she was very much being very immature and never really listening to counsel which was and always is foolish when your in foreign land I believe. Even though she's been there quite a while, still. Yeah but when she's had some of her much horribly stupid moments in these books I don't get why Jorah is in love with her. But then again didn't he say she reminded him of his lady who he was once with? I can't remember exactly what he said :/ it's a long time ago.

But yeah I do agree Jorah and joncon have a lot in common but at the same time you are able to distinguish ever so much what way Jon would react to certain news, and what way Jorah would. You know. I think GRRM basically deliberately made Jorah and joncon to through similar things in their past-so that the reader could understand and visualise how two (once great, still great knights. Could be argued at times) went in life because of similar events they went through. He sort of wanted to show similarities and contrast with those two characters I think. I find them both oh-so interesting :). While we're on the top of old knights I find Barristan Selmy AKA Barristan the Bold equally as interesting.

Yeah I really like how they both can't stand Varys and I think that both of them were basically at that time bitter about where their reputations landed them. You know people not really caring in kings landing and the courts whether they had a particularly brilliant plan or not. People just thinking they could treat them as push overs at times. They especially have a gut hate for the lannisters so I think that's why they (in a moment of madness) thought they'd join forces with Varys because he had promised them great things, you know. Well of what I can remember. Sorry my memory of some of the things that's happened between those two and Varys is a little hazy.

Yeah and I believe basically they both didn't take too well to Tyrion and didn't really take the time to get to know him at first because of his reputation and the fact that his appearance (to them) made him look equally suspicious. It also didn't help that Tyrion was so much of his father When he ever got the chance to converse with the loyal knights. Both the knights from what I have gathered very much hated the bones of Tywin lannister lol. So no at times Tyrions reputation certainly doesn't help him. Especially when it ever came to jon con and Ser Jorah haha.

Archived