Will the rest of Westeros ever realize how much they owe Stannis Baratheon?

King's landing is a port, he could have built the armada he needed. he could have also dealt with Robb Stark by seizing Winterfell and trapping him in Riverlands and let lions and wolves destroy each other.

By the time he built it, it would be too late. The crown is already in massive debt and guess who just inherited it? Tywin ain't going to be loaning him any gold either. Capturing Winterfell and MC is going to beat Robb? Is that not exactly what the Greyjoys did? Robb didn't throw down his sword and surrender then, he won't if Stannis does it. Just face it, Stannis had to lose Blackwater for him to go North in time.

By the time he built it, it would be too late. The crown is already in massive debt and guess who just inherited it? Tywin ain't going to be loaning him any gold either. Capturing Winterfell and MC is going to beat Robb? Is that not exactly what the Greyjoys did? Robb didn't throw down his sword and surrender then, he won't if Stannis does it. Just face it, Stannis had to lose Blackwater for him to go North in time.

The only reason they beat Stannis is cause they knew he was the only man for the job come wall time. By combining their vast resources and defeating him they hoped he would see the light, reevaluate his situation and sail north which he did. So you're right dude we owe them a great debt. #365grateful

Still dead #letitgo #letitgoooooooooo

LOL, yep. Tywin was shot on the crapper by his estranged son, his legacy and power damaged and doesn't look like it will be repaired in the hands of his sons or daughter.

Btw, help I hear this song way to much in my house. Help, my children need an intervention.

The only reason they beat Stannis is cause they knew he was the only man for the job come wall time. By combining their vast resources and defeating him they hoped he would see the light, reevaluate his situation and sail north which he did. So you're right dude we owe them a great debt. #365grateful

I doubt that were their motivation but there you have it. Without Tywin and Mace the realm was doomed.

I've been thinking about this. Stannis was never really given his proper due for his heroic and gallant intervention at the Battle of the Wall. The details of the battle are really only known to the Watch, Stannis' men, the Wildlings, and maybe some Northmen here or there. But the rest of the country never knew how close Westeros was to being completely overrun by a Wildling horde of 100,000. The Watch was on the brink of collapse and was going to lose that battle. Should the wall fall the already war-torn North and ravaged Riverlands at the time of AFFC would have almost certainly been completely overrun. Whose to say how far the Wildlings would have gotten? Gathering deserters, vandals, brigands, and all manner of opportunists to their cause along the way.

Stannis saved Westeros. He saved a country that wouldn't recognize him as the rightful king yet rescued it all the same. And yet the country remains relatively ungrateful. My hope is that his legend will spread south eventually and people will realize just how much he sacrificed for them. Otherwise they deserve the awful Lannister/Tyrell hodge-podge they've got and not the King who fucking cared.

I think your hope may yet come true. (Whoever thought we'd say that in this series?) To an extent. There are enough lords, maesters, merchants, septons, and knights that are informed enough and capable enough to understand and appreciate what Stannis has done at the Wall. I assume (without being able to point to an explicit passage of text) that Stannis's arrival at the Wall has helped him with the northerners already.

Hoping that "the country" recognizes Stannis may be a stretch though. We have seen how there is a considerable difference in knowledge between the "high born" and the "small folk" in Westeros. The high born may come to appreciate his fight at the Wall. The small folk likely will never know of it, or if they know of it may not appreciate it. Remember, some of them think the sky is blue because they live in the eye of a blue eyed giant. That's a good example of the barriers to "the country" appreciating Stannis Baratheon. Fortunately, he doesn't need their appreciation. Only their loyalty and their arms.

*Edited for some unfortunate auto corrects.

Wow! Stannis love taken to a new level. Congratulations! #100%eyeroll

I've always thought of Tywin as a sphincter so...yass!

Nice.

(also i missed you, UVA)

History is written by the winners. If Stannis sits the IT for a little while or takes Winterfell back for the Starks, he'll get songs written about him. If not, he's probably going to be forgotten about.

There will always be someone to sing the song of Stannis.

The 100k horde would have looted and pillaged for a limited amount of time... but it did not really amount to anything. I mean, an army of 1.5k men was successful in defeating them and routing 90000 people. I mean, I was glad this book is a fantasy because that requires a huge suspension of disbelief. If anything, Stannis prevented Roose from settling the legitimacy of his rule, because if he had not stopped the wildlings, Roose with his far better army would have.

Archived