A Character you don't understand why the fandom/forum likes and hates?

TheBadboy

It's funny how similar the situation is in the series. Many don't like Stannis, but those who do are some of the most loyal people in the series (Davos, Ned, Rolland Storm...).

The King's Men ;)

But yeah speaks really for GRRM that he creates characters that draw a certain kind of people.

I find it difficult to understand how one could hate people like Bran, Dany, Sansa or Arya. The letter is a genuine survivor. If you truly have to hate someone, hate the people who wronged her.

Also, I don't understand how one can hate Rhaegar and love Catelyn at the same time.

I don't get the love for Robert, Olenna, Varys and Tyrion.

The hipster love for Roose. I do not get it. I mean did you hear his tale about how he raped Ramsay's mother?? Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic character, but come on. And the dude is just plain creepy.

I will never understand the over the top hatred for Dany and Cat.

I can understand why people like pretty much all the characters as most of them are so great. That being said, I don't think GRRM really wrote Stannis to be so well liked, and I have a suspicion it's probably similar to how Alan Moore was so surprised by people liking Rorschach.

Name a character you don't get why the forum(majority or minority) loves and hates. And why.

Mine - Jaime. ( I don't get all the love for him).

I get he is a bit better than how he started off. But still to hail him him as a fan favourite amuses me.

I always found Tyrion to be far more enjoyable and less despicable than Jaime.

But I guess being attractive and saving a girl ( Brienne) always trumps being a dwarf and saving a girl ( Sansa)

Saving a girl?

You mean, marrying a girl against her will?

Tyrion saved Sansa once, when she was being abused by Joffrey - when he was the only person other than Cersei who had the power to do that, and when doing it posed no danger to his life, wellbeing or social and political position. That makes him a person with basic human decency and common sense (anyone could have seen it was stupid and dangerous of a king to publicly abuse his betrothed and a valuable hostage), it doesn't make him a hero.

He never tried to free Sansa and save her from his family. She was first and foremost important to him as a guarantee his brother wouldn't be killed, not because he cared for her beyond basic human decency.

The hipster love for Roose. I do not get it. I mean did you hear his tale about how he raped Ramsay's mother?? Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic character, but come on. And the dude is just plain creepy.

I think you can still enjoy a character or find him fascinating or interesting but still consider him and his actions loathsome.

I don't understand why anyone can like Dany, or anyone from the poorly written Essos freak show for that matter. Especially when right next to Westeros and it's great plot (most of the time) and characters.

I don't understand the Stannis hate, well actually I do, most of his haters get their impression of him off of HBO, and those few that don't are Dany and Renly fans. Doesn't make sence to me why he gets hate, but I don't mind it, because I have a hard time liking a character that everyone likes. I think this is why I was never really into Tyrion and why I'm having a slightly harder time liking Arya.

Dont let fandoms put you off, I find the independent North brigade appalling but still love the Starks, and Daenerys fans are as bad as Stannis/sansa/arya fans except they're everywhere and completely incapable of being tongue in cheek like most other groups, and all fanbases are blockheaded regarding character flaws but Danys come off worse because of how many there are.

Just enjoy the story and do your thing and ignore Boarsbane.

And dont let people tell you you're wrong for liking a character, especially if they say shit like "the author didnt intend" fuck off mind-reader.

I wanted to say Daenerys, but I feel I know why people like her: Dragons, HBO Khaleesi, etc.

So Ill say Arya Stark. Altough she was once a rebellious girl everybody should love, she is been a socipat for to long now.

About hate, I thiink Sansa gots more than she diserves. Perhaps Book 1 Sansa did to some degree, but after this she is a poor girl that tries to do her best with the awful hand she was given.

I love Brans chapters through out the novels and don't understand why people think they are boring.

His first 2 ADWD chapters are both exciting I think.

He's lacking in personality, which made his chapters quite dull, at first. On re-reads, though, he's one of the most interesting POVs, because of all the mysteries and foreshadowing.

I don't understand why anyone can like Dany, or anyone from the poorly written Essos freak show for that matter. Especially when right next to Westeros and it's great plot (most of the time) and characters.

I don't understand the Stannis hate, well actually I do, most of his haters get their impression of him off of HBO, and those few that don't are Dany and Renly fans. Doesn't make sence to me why he gets hate, but I don't mind it, because I have a hard time liking a character that everyone likes. I think this is why I was never really into Tyrion and why I'm having a slightly harder time liking Arya.

Well, I mostly like Stannis due to his portrayal on the HBO show (really didn't like him before). I think Stephen Dillane does a fantastic job and he gives Stannis humanity that he lacks in the books (at least earlier).

I still very much like Renly and am somewhat neutral towards Danny. Sorry to be pointing fingers, but I believe, that it is mostly the Stannis fans who have the most bipolar view (like Melisandre :-)) and tend to steer most threads into the worship/hate territory.

As much as I love Sansa and as much as I consider Sansa lovers to be very insightful posters, I noticed that they often get "blinded" by their love for the little bird when it comes to Tyrion. Insisting that Tyrion is an evil and horrible scumbag, because he didn't want to betray his family and endanger his brother by smuggling Sansa out of King's Landing.

And dont let people tell you you're wrong for liking a character, especially if they say shit like "the author didnt intend" fuck off mind-reader.

YES! So much this. It's like you read my mind. What sort of arrogant clown tries to speak for what the author did and did not intend with his characters? GTFO.

I agree with the rest of your post as well, but that part was the best.

I think you can still enjoy a character or find him fascinating or interesting but still consider him and his actions loathsome.

Agreed, but we're talking about loving a character. I love Bran, I love Arya, I love Manderly's granddaughter, I loved Robb and I love Stannis.

I find Jaime, Cersei and LF all interesting and enjoy them, I wouldn't call it love.

I only hate Ramsay, Joffrey and anything Tyrell.

YES! So much this. It's like you read my mind. What sort of arrogant clown tries to speak for what the author did and did not intend with his characters? GTFO.

I have seen people compare Stannis to Rorschach, Alan Moore publicly said he was surprised people liked Rorschach, that's all I said. Get over it.

Archived