GOODKIND IX - Killer Queen

MinDonner

aaaaargh! :bang:

:ack: you rotten swein!

on topic - are there any Psychoanalysts out there? I'd love to hear a professional evaluation of these works!

Didn't mystar claim to be a professional therapist? perhaps he will drop by to render his professional opinion.

Worry not, Bran, for psychological help is closer than you think. As mystar tells us on the Wiki page:

Terry Goodkind worked for a short time as a clinical therapist, which included the application s of Hypnotism as therapy.

Naturally,

I will be adding the proper references shortly

Also, in that old interview from the last thread, it was mentioned that it took Goodkind 150 hours to draw the border for his map in the books. I assume it's in Wizard's First Rule, could anyone scan the map so we can all enjoy the border that Goodkind spent 150 hours on?

Terry Goodkind worked for a short time as a clinical therapist, which included the application s of Hypnotism as therapy.

sorry, don't see how that fits with Objectionism - how can some one with such beliefs cope with actually listening to people... let alone helping them?

(there again, maybe the therapists I met were Objectionists too....)

The more I learn of him the more convinced I am that Terry Goodkind is a real Renaissance Man: painter, carpenter, clinical therapist, hipnotist, formula 1 driver, writer, etc.

Of course in XV century Italy there were many types of men but surely Terry Goodkind would fit in one of these types.

She gets saved every time. Previously she got saved by her power suddenly coming back to her. Actually, I think that happened twice. She keeps losing her power just as a bunch of thugs want to fuck her, and getting her power back seconds before they actually do.

Do you think your stomach is up for getting us an exact figure? I know it was 4 times in Stone of Tears (once during the naked-whitewash attack (saved by her power), twice in her tent immediately afterwards (saved once by power, once by someone else killing the potential rapist) and again in the dungeons (saved by her power, which she magically reacquired in the nick of time) - if 4 per book is the norm, then that's, what, 40 times she's been nearly raped?

Okay, MinDonner, Mountain Goat, and Mad Moose, what have you guys been drinking? This is great, we start the thread with a song!

Great posts, btw.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

This latest QOTD...I don't know why TG has to linger so exquisitely on a rape scene. Of course he can argue that this helps showing more of the characters of Emperor Jagang and of Kahlan and character development, but for godsakes, why? A few well-written sentences and dialogue would have done the trick. Yes, rape is horrible, and Jagang is a horrible, horrible man, stop hitting us with the head with it.

“Now, the rest of it,†he said in a thick whisper. “Take off those underthings.â€

Underthings? What is it about Terry and things? And traveling pants? :o

She shifted her gaze to meet his nightmare eyes. “No, I can’t. So just get on with it and spare me a speech that means nothing to me, since I have no idea what you’re talking about.â€

I wish she'd say this to Richard more often, it would spare a lot of people the pain.

"She was better then he was. He was only stronger. He could only have her by force. That knowledge gave her a thread of power over him, and he knew it. He could never have her willingly because she was better than he was, and she deserved better by far. He could never have a woman like her except by force because he was weak and worthless as a man."

So, er, this almost-rape is supposed to be empowering for Kahlan or something?

Do you think your stomach is up for getting us an exact figure? I know it was 4 times in Stone of Tears (once during the naked-whitewash attack (saved by her power), twice in her tent immediately afterwards (saved once by power, once by someone else killing the potential rapist) and again in the dungeons (saved by her power, which she magically reacquired in the nick of time) - if 4 per book is the norm, then that's, what, 40 times she's been nearly raped?

No, my stomach is not up to the task. Just going from memory, its only twice in the first book, three or four like you said in the second, after that she manages to stay away from rapists for a while. I think there are two attempts in Phantom. So there are probably at least eight times that she is rescued at the last minute from being raped. There may have been another one at the beginning of Faith of the Fallen, its hard to remember if someone was just going to kill her, or have a go at her as well. Temple of the winds is another, I'm not sure if it was just her life at stake in the beginning (with Marlin) or her "virtue" as well.

"She was better then he was. He was only stronger. He could only have her by force. That knowledge gave her a thread of power over him, and he knew it. He could never have her willingly because she was better than he was, and she deserved better by far. He could never have a woman like her except by force because he was weak and worthless as a man."

In a way, it is. Kahlan's trying to empower herself by deducing that the only reason Jagang can have her is through force and rape so that means he doesn't really 'own' her becasue there is no free will involeved in Kahlan's side.

This passage almost makes sense, but having it included up in the scene just ruined it.

Well, it could have been "Take off that under-outfit," take your pick :lol:

undershirt

underskirt

underpants

underclothes

underdress

undergarb

undergown

undershort

There must be a better word for the unmentionables (I love the term GRRM uses, smallclothes). Like using more specific words, like shift, or petticoats. Good grief, why must it be...underthings?

Well, it could have been "Take off that under-outfit," take your pick :lol:

At least "thing" wasn't used to describe all her clothes.

Jagang: "Now, take those things off. No, not those things, the other things. The things on your legs, those things. Yeah, now the other thing. No, not that thing, the top thing. The thing that covers your things. I want to take a good look at your things. Now take off the rest of your things. All your things. Don't make me tear the things off you! I want to see you without any things covering all your things. Yeah, thats right, show Jagang your things."

I can see the plot threads coming together now, Kahlan is going to be the prize for the IO's best Maj-jong player, and sex with Richard will cause Kahlan to remember who she is, then she and Richard(acting seperately, as individuals) will destroy the entire army.

I think G-K-D(BBHN) tries to show that someone suffused with moral celery simply will come through rape as a better and stronger human being, or possibly that all that celery will turn the would-be rapists off.

Am I the only one who wonders what goes through the minds of the people at TOR? I understand that they are a company and will sell anything that make them money but really, what do they think when they put G-K-D:s latest opus together? Some of Mouse latest quotes simply looks out of this world.

BTW Min, it' was fascinating to see Shakespear's Julius Caesar beside Tarrys Sword of Truth.

The most basic rule of rhetoric’s is that you show the audience respect. If you don't respect people's opinions it's all but impossible to change them.

Marc Anthony uses every trick in the bag to reach the audience, too make them see what he wants them too see. Richard basically says fuck you, if you don't buy my poorly made straw men, you lack morale celery and deserve to be killed by the IO.

Jagang: "Now, take those things off. No, not those things, the other things. The things on your legs, those things. Yeah, now the other thing. No, not that thing, the top thing. The thing that covers your things. I want to take a good look at your things. Now take off the rest of your things. All your things. Don't make me tear the things off you! I want to see you without any things covering all your things. Yeah, thats right, show Jagang your things."

*dies*

That's a lot of things.

I can see the plot threads coming together now, Kahlan is going to be the prize for the IO's best Maj-jong player, and sex with Richard will cause Kahlan to remember who she is, then she and Richard(acting seperately, as individuals) will destroy the entire army.

Nonono. Kahlan doesn't remember who she is until Jagang can't hold his obsession over her anymore and decides to try to rape her again. When Jagang's almost able to do it, that's when Richard will burst in with his sword and kill Jagang.

Because of this, Kahlan will immediately recognizes him and all her memories will come flooding back and they will have sex then and there, just near Jagang's twitching corpse.

Terry Goodkind is the Redundant Head leader in charge of the Redundant Institute for Redundancy.

a) “you are mine, now,â€

B) “You belong to me" (see a)

c) "to no one else."

d) "To me alone." (see c)

e) "I can do whatever I wish with you."

f) “You belong to me, now." (see a, B)

g) "Your fate is what I choose for you." (see e)

h) "You have no choice in what happens to you." (see e,g)

i) "None." (just to clarify, no choice means none, see h)

j) "Everything that happens to you is by my choice alone.†(see e, g and h)

k) "She was better then he was. He was only stronger. He could only have her by force."

l) "He could never have her willingly because she was better than he was" (see k),

m) "He could never have a woman like her except by force" (see k, l)

n) “I want you to know who you are when I do this."

o) "you have to know who you are, first." (see n)

p) “You have to know. You have to remember who you are, you have to know everything" (see n, o)

GOOD GRIEF!!

Archived