Why was Stannis gathering swords around him while Robert was still alive?

Bael's Bastard

In the conversation Arya overhears between Varys and Illyrio, Varys says the whispers say Stannis Baratheon and Lysa Arryn are gathering swords around them.

This takes place on page 344 in my paperback copy. While plenty has happened by then, it is still over 100 pages before Robert dies.

If the whispers were true, why might Stannis have been gathering swords around him while Robert was still alive?

Did he suspect Robert was going to be assassinated, and this was him planning for when that day came? Did he intend to act against Robert himself?

And what of Lysa? It doesn't necessarily require a complicated answer to explain why she gathered swords around her (and kept them there) considering her state of mind.

But it is interesting that Jon's death seemed to trigger both Stannis and Lysa fleeing KL and doing essentially the same thing. Could Jon and Stannis have planned together, to go back to their places and gather swords toward some purpose?

In the conversation Arya overhears between Varys and Illyrio, Varys says the whispers say Stannis Baratheon and Lysa Arryn are gathering swords around them.

This takes place on page 344 in my paperback copy. While plenty has happened by then, it is still over 100 pages before Robert dies.

If the whispers were true, why might Stannis have been gathering swords around him while Robert was still alive?

Did he suspect Robert was going to be assassinated, and this was him planning for when that day came? Did he intend to act against Robert himself?

And what of Lysa? It doesn't necessarily require a complicated answer to explain why she gathered swords around her (and kept them there) considering her state of mind.

But it is interesting that Jon's death seemed to trigger both Stannis and Lysa fleeing KL and doing essentially the same thing. Could Jon and Stannis have planned together, to go back to their places and gather swords toward some purpose?

Stannis already knew Jon was investigating the children. It was him who suggested it I believe but wasn't sure how Robert would take it if he brought him the knowledge personally. So preparing for the worst I guess. Tywin was going to be ready for a fight when the news came out.

Well, both Jon and Stannis knew that what they discovered could very well lead to war. Had Jon Arryn not been murdered, he would have probably gathered some troops before going to Robert, too.

At that point, Stannis must be pretty convinced the Lannisters murdered Jon Arryn. They know that he knows, so gathering swords around him seems like a pretty smart move.

Besides, he knew that if Bob were to die, he would have to go to war to get his Throne.

I don't think he would have ever attacked his brother, though.

He suspected him and his brother were in danger, after Jon Arryn's death. He was gathering swords around him so he could go to KL in force and bring his evidence before the Bob while the Lannisters were relatively unprepared.

because he figured that once Jon Arryn, the only person who knew of the twincest and would be willing to tell robert was him, and robert would never believe him, so it was only a matter of time before the Lannisters offed Robert, and he was best served by going to dragonstone and preparing to stake his claim, as he thought the lannisters murdered jon arryn, so logically he would be next, and if he were killed then the truth would die with him

He left when he suspected the truth about the incest, when Jon Arryn died I seem to remember him ranting about Robert should have made him Hand but Robert wanted Ned. (cant find the passages sorry)

Its just a hunch but I think he saw the writing on the wall that Robert might also 'accidently' die & was trying to put plans in place. He had no reason to trust Ned.

He was also harbouring a long standing grudge against Robert who awarded him Dragonstone after winning it during RR's rebellion. Renly was awarded Storms End which has far greater wealth & lords to swear fealty.

It's all specuation really. I was just searching through "AGoT" yesterday looking to see if this was explained, and couldn't find anything other than several passages from Ned as to how frustrated he was pursuing the Jon Arryn mystery with Stannis and Lysa being absent. They were of course his best potential sources of information.

These twin premises you always hear from Stanstans are not supported in the text so far as I have found:
1) That Stannis fled KL in fear of his life. (thinking that the Lannisters had had Arryn killed.)

Really? When Robert was leaving with Cersei and most of her Red Cloaks accompanying them? When the Small Council had been reduced to just Littlefinger, Pycelle and Varys? REALLY?!?

2) That Robert would never have accepted Stannis' word that Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella were the products of twincest between Cersei and Jaime.

-When Robert absolutely loathed Cersei and said of Joffrey, "How could I have made a son like that, Ned?.... "

-With the obvious evidence (such as it could be without the science of genetics) of Renly, Edric and Gendry? (all of whom at one time or another are said either to look just like a young Robert or just like each other.)

Really? REALLY?!?

There isn't a single word in AGoT about why exactly Stannis 'fled' (a prejudicial word, but the one most often used on this forum) to Dragonstone. Not a word.

Archived