Highest Rated Episode

canguru

More than any season final or the red wedding...

did all the show-avoiders tune in to see the NK?

Apparently, when reviewers said "OMG WINTER IS COMING - LOOKIT THE WHITE WALKERS!" everyone freaked out and ratings blew through the roof.

The Starks had it right all along. Who knew!

Apparently people thought that scene was good or exciting somehow. To me, it was incredibly depressing.

"Oh, that's where White Walkers come from. Ohhhh."

Like, keeping it mysterious is what makes supernatural things supernatural. When you explain it, its no longer supernatural.

Also, all White Walkers being frozen shirtless old guys is kinda meh.

And the stupid make-up job ruined it!

Compare this episode to the same number last series 03.04 and there is no comparison Dany's first liberation with all the unsullied joining her army, Arya and the brothers without banners and the hound. Theon torture scenes. Varys tells the story of losing his balls. And Mutiny at crasters keep. Man that episode was awesome. 04.04 well.... nothing much happened and it was basically just setting up some new story lines. A disappointing episode. When we all have our complete box sets and we want to watch one stand alone episode I highly doubt that the one we pick will be oathkeeper.

More people watching only means that the series as a whole is picking up more viewers. I don't think it says much to the quality of the individual episode.

I thought it was the firestorm of controversy that happened after the rape scene in 4x03 that might have resulted in the viewership bump. A lot of free publicity for the show right there.

I am a little surprised that the highest-rated episode was not the episode after 4x02 (the PW) but rather 4x03. The ratings bump after 4x03 (460,000) was significantly higher than the ratings bump after 4x02 (280,000), impressive in of itself.

It will be interesting to see if the show sustains or even tops these ratings later in the season. The numbers in past season have typically climbed on average throughout the season as it airs (although GOT maxed out in Season 3 with 3x06 and took a big ratings hit afterwards, to climb up to the similar levels by the finale). I bet 4x10's going to have some pretty gangbusters numbers.

Compare this episode to the same number last series 03.04 and there is no comparison Dany's first liberation with all the unsullied joining her army, Arya and the brothers without banners and the hound. Theon torture scenes. Varys tells the story of losing his balls. And Mutiny at crasters keep. Man that episode was awesome. 04.04 well.... nothing much happened and it was basically just setting up some new story lines. A disappointing episode. When we all have our complete box sets and we want to watch one stand alone episode I highly doubt that the one we pick will be oathkeeper.

More people watching only means that the series as a whole is picking up more viewers. I don't think it says much to the quality of the individual episode.

It was not disappointing- it was a very solid episode of the show, with many incredible scenes like the last one and all the Jaime scenes. Yes, it was slightly worse (still top 10 worthy so far, though), but that's because every episode in Season 4 has been amazing, whereas the Season 3 had 3 average episodes (DWDW is probably the 2nd worst Thrones episode after the Night Lands) that built up to And Now His Watch Is Ended. Even then, The Lion and the Rose was equal to the 03.04.

So no, while it has nothing to do with the quality of individual episodes, it does have something to do with the quality of the overall season so far- people are obviously enjoying it immensely.

I thought it was the firestorm of controversy that happened after the rape scene in 4x03 that might have resulted in the viewership bump. A lot of free publicity for the show right there.

I am a little surprised that the highest-rated episode was not the episode after 4x02 (the PW) but rather 4x03. The ratings bump after 4x03 (460,000) was significantly higher than the ratings bump after 4x02 (280,000), impressive in of itself.

It will be interesting to see if the show sustains or even tops these ratings later in the season. The numbers in past season have typically climbed on average throughout the season as it airs (although GOT maxed out in Season 3 with 3x06 and took a big ratings hit afterwards, to climb up to the similar levels by the finale). I bet 4x10's going to have some pretty gangbusters numbers.

You're right about the ratings climbing as the season progresses. I think a lot of viewers (Unsullied type) may not even watch the first couple of episodes with a 'wait and see' attitude especially with how the last season ended for many. There were a lot of rage-quit posts, reviews, etc that I saw so it's entirely possible the fans are creeping back in slowly because this season is turning out to be pretty amazing. Every single episode has had some jaw dropping moments and revelations for viewers. Once they watched Joffrey die - enthusiasm rebounded full force and the fallout from the red wedding has recovered / re-stabilized. People now have something to cheer about which they desperately wanted. The story is getting super good for Arya, Dany, Jon, all the fan favorites. This season will probably have the highest ratings overall for sure.

I agree 4x10 could have huge numbers. The last 3 episodes are setting up to be the best stretch in the series to date. After viewers see oberyn vs the mountain, the battle at the wall with Stannis saving the day, possibly only cat, amongst other crazy plot changing moments I'm sure they will be dying to tune in for the finale. Then the finale will possibly be even bigger than the previous episodes and I think it will have viewers interest really peaking for season 5. Jeez just talking about it gets me so excited for those last 3 episodes. :drool:

Apparently people thought that scene was good or exciting somehow. To me, it was incredibly depressing.

"Oh, that's where White Walkers come from. Ohhhh."

Like, keeping it mysterious is what makes supernatural things supernatural. When you explain it, its no longer supernatural.

Also, all White Walkers being frozen shirtless old guys is kinda meh.

And the stupid make-up job ruined it!

I disagree. I loved that scene, it sent me as a fellow book reader, through the roof!! It saved the worst episode of the season and their west episode #4 ever.

It was not disappointing- it was a very solid episode of the show, with many incredible scenes like the last one and all the Jaime scenes. Yes, it was slightly worse (still top 10 worthy so far, though), but that's because every episode in Season 4 has been amazing, whereas the Season 3 had 3 average episodes (DWDW is probably the 2nd worst Thrones episode after the Night Lands) that built up to And Now His Watch Is Ended. Even then, The Lion and the Rose was equal to the 03.04.

So no, while it has nothing to do with the quality of individual episodes, it does have something to do with the quality of the overall season so far- people are obviously enjoying it immensely.

Welp it is of course entirely subjective opinion. A lot of it is going to be with which characters you like and stuff like that. For example If someone was a Tyrion fan they might be disappointed that he only had one minor scene. If like me you're an Arya fan you'll be disappointed that she had 0 scenes. However, I couldn't disagree more about this series so far I think this has been the worst series. But that's ok still a lot more to go, I'm not worried yet next episode will probably be killer.

This was posted in another thread which articulates most of my views better than I can. http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2014/05/01-review-oathkeeper/index.html

This series as a whole has been slow. But then again it kind of has to be. Story arcs have to peak and then dip. After the Red wedding and then the purple wedding which itself could have been a season finale. There has to be time for new plots to be built. and gain momentum unfortunately they have done this better in previous seasons where different story lines peaked at different times.so you might have a 'filler' episode which built other major story lines but you would have a minor plot line peaking in the meantime. Unfortunately this episode was entirely comprised of 'filler'.

I think this says it all

From the link I posted

[spolier]Okay, That Scene: The idea that Craster's sons, left out in the cold as offerings to the Others, have become white walkers themselves is not exactly a new one; in A Storm of Swords, Sam is told as much by Craster's wives before fleeing the keep with Gilly. As a result, I don't consider the final scene a spoiler for the next book, regardless of how significant the credited name of "Night's King" turns out to be. That's a discussion in which I have little interest in participating, at least until it's actually relevant.

I am interested in wondering what business that scene had in taking up precious screen time. Was it thrown in because the writers felt they needed a strong ending? I'll admit that it was creepy and visually compelling, and when that baby's eyes went blue I felt a definite chill go down my spine. That's great; it only lasted for a few seconds before I asked where that scene could be going in the near future, and answered myself, "Nowhere, really." Does anyone think Season 4 is going to start spending significant amounts of time with the white walkers in their ice fortress, watching the evil baby learn to walk? After the initial, superficial thrill of horror wears off, this week's closing scene reveals itself as the laziest trick of all; a cheap, cynical shock ploy that says nothing and means nothing aside from expressing the writers' desperate desire for continued viewership. In terms of endings followed by silent credits, it wasn't exactly the Red Wedding.

My guess when ratings are high for an episode is that the previous episode was a killer... and it was, especially the last scene, lots of viewers found that epic. Doesn't speak to the quality of the actual episode, though, so we might see the ratings go down for next ep. Who knows? :dunno:

Doubt it. A lot of non-readers are pretty hyped about the White Walkers finally getting some screentime again. Plus the Tyrion, Jon Snow/Bran storylines are getting pretty juicy.

Highest rated as in 'most viewers', not as in 'most highly reviewed'.

There's a difference between "good" and "memorable" - especially when it comes to GoT. I thought many Season 3 episodes sucked out loud until they came to the final scenes, which were often extremely memorable. Does 45 minutes of absolute garbage followed by 5 minutes of complete awesomeness make a 'good' episode? I dunno...

3.09 was both amazing and memorable. 4.04 was good but pretty forgettable.

I'll be curious about the ratings for the all-Wall episode in 4x09. It will be a good measure of how popular that particular storyline is with the TV viewership.

This side of the story has garnered a lot of interest this season. The Jon/Ygritte stuff, the Wildlings, Craster's, and now the White Walkers. It's the main spotlight along with the trial in KL, which makes me happy because it's my favorite part of the books and it's gotten fucked over since S2.

Welp it is of course entirely subjective opinion. A lot of it is going to be with which characters you like and stuff like that. For example If someone was a Tyrion fan they might be disappointed that he only had one minor scene. If like me you're an Arya fan you'll be disappointed that she had 0 scenes. However, I couldn't disagree more about this series so far I think this has been the worst series. But that's ok still a lot more to go, I'm not worried yet next episode will probably be killer.

This was posted in another thread which articulates most of my views better than I can. http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2014/05/01-review-oathkeeper/index.html

This series as a whole has been slow. But then again it kind of has to be. Story arcs have to peak and then dip. After the Red wedding and then the purple wedding which itself could have been a season finale. There has to be time for new plots to be built. and gain momentum unfortunately they have done this better in previous seasons where different story lines peaked at different times.so you might have a 'filler' episode which built other major story lines but you would have a minor plot line peaking in the meantime. Unfortunately this episode was entirely comprised of 'filler'.

I understand and respect that you might not like it, but, from what I've seen on the message boards and in real life, the overwhelming response has been extremely positive. I've heard people comment that this season has been faster paced than any other season. You may be bored by Dany conquering the slave cities, many people aren't, and the two scenes of her in Breaker of Chains and Oathkeeper were extremely well done. After a long time, Bran is having interesting scenes and is involved in the action, making him relevant for the first time since 2. Also, the storyline in the north has been better than ever, and, of course, we have witnessed the glorious purple wedding, white walker scene, and the fight in the pubs.

No story arc should peak at the very beginning of the season (it happened to Dany last season, and the entire arc ended on whimper). However, there have been many minor peaks, and I think they've handled those incredibly well this season. First, we had a King's Landing climax in Episode 2, then a Danaerys one in Episode 3/4, and it looks like we're getting a Bran/Jon one in Episode 5. In my opinion, they are very well spaced out.

Archived