The revenge of Maelys

Wmarshal

Doom is coming, with Barry likely allying with Dany in the DD2 I see a prefect time for the GC to gain revenge.

Small Crackpot of mine is that Barry will fall as his rose, leading the nine penny kings rebirth against the GC who act as the " heroes of Westeros".

I think Barristan will die before Dany comes back to Meereen. I think Connington would try to sway Barristan, as he is the only KG remaining from Aerys's reign and he is a good PR symbol. It is known Barristan is an honorable knight, and if it is widely known he believes Dany's claim that Aegon is fake, it would lend it more credibility, but again I don't think Barristan will be there when Dany lands.

I think Barristan will die before Dany comes back to Meereen. I think Connington would try to sway Barristan, as he is the only KG remaining from Aerys's reign and he is a good PR symbol. It is known Barristan is an honorable knight, and if it is widely known he believes Dany's claim that Aegon is fake, it would lend it more credibility, but again I don't think Barristan will be there when Dany lands.

But they're in different continents now. And I don't know if in Westeros is known where Barristan is. OTOH, he might feel little respect for him now, because he knelt before the Usurper.

The GC would not have it, the bastard killed old man Maelys.

The GC would not have it, the bastard killed old man Maelys.

Maelys has been dead for four decades, and the GC is preoccupied with Aegon, thinking him to be a Targaryen, and many of the captains likely weren't with the GC yet when Maelys died, and were likely still children or not even born yet. Let sleeping dogs lie, so to speak.

But they're in different continents now. And I don't know if in Westeros is known where Barristan is. OTOH, he might feel little respect for him now, because he knelt before the Usurper.

Connington would respect him, and Barristan left for who he believed to be the true Targaryen heir, so he was a Targaryen man in the end.

Personally, I think Barristan will be one of Dany's three betrayals. I think he'll find out Ashara Dayne is still alive and is Septa Lemore, and his love for her will lead him to betray Dany and join up with Aegon. Technically, Aegon would be his rightful king anyway (if real, of course), but it will be the love for Ashara that makes him actually go through with it.

Personally, I think Barristan will be one of Dany's three betrayals. I think he'll find out Ashara Dayne is still alive and is Septa Lemore, and his love for her will lead him to betray Dany and join up with Aegon. Technically, Aegon would be his rightful king anyway (if real, of course), but it will be the love for Ashara that makes him actually go through with it.

Props, that's a good prediction,

Fire Eater, there words aren't " Beneath the gold, the bitter steel." for nothing. Vengeance is coming, and soon all dogs of the falseborn most pay their do's.

Fire Eater, there words aren't " Beneath the gold, the bitter steel." for nothing. Vengeance is coming, and soon all dogs of the falseborn most pay their do's.

Except all the dogs of the falseborn are the majority of lords in Westeros. Daeron was trueborn, Daemon spread those rumors of him being Aemon's bastard since he wasnt exactly going to say "I'm a royal bastard trying t overthrow my trueborn brother for personal reasons."

They would accomplish nothing by killing Barristan for something he did before they were born or were kids, and before they even joined the GC. Especially sinc ethey believe they are supporting a Targaryen. I think they would rather have Barristan join them given his PR status, and have him with Aegon, being seen as a continuation of the Targaryen regime. Neither Connington nor Aegon would want him dead.

I don't think they'll get the chance as Barristan may die before getting to Westeros.

This is what I think also.

This has always been my favorite theory.

Getting men like Brynden Tully or Barristan Selmy, heroes of the War of the Ninepenny Kings, would be a coup for the Golden Company, not something to discourage. If they can get people like that on their side, it helps to flip the stigma of the old Blackfyre days, true or not. They're heroes, respected by the whole of the realm for decades of duty and honor. Daemon Blackfyre and Bittersteel raised an army around heroes, they're a powerful force.

Getting men like Brynden Tully or Barristan Selmy, heroes of the War of the Ninepenny Kings, would be a coup for the Golden Company, not something to discourage. If they can get people like that on their side, it helps to flip the stigma of the old Blackfyre days, true or not. They're heroes, respected by the whole of the realm for decades of duty and honor. Daemon Blackfyre and Bittersteel raised an army around heroes, they're a powerful force.

Except the Blackfyre days are not over, their general goal has never died, and Barristan and Brynden would never ever ever fight for the same reasons they do.

Except the Blackfyre days are not over, their general goal has never died, and Barristan and Brynden would never ever ever fight for the same reasons they do.

Honest men can fight for a lie so long as they believe it, and liars can fight for honest causes. As far as the Golden Company is concerned, they're backing the trueborn Targaryen heir, and that's what they're going to tell everyone everywhere. If the truth is different, only the top captains are going to know, and they're going to bury it very deeply, because it's a truth that they don't need.

If it is a front, it's still a front the Golden Company needs. Which is why they would seek out men like that instead of denying them as age-old enemies.- whether they'd accept or not is irrelevant to that fact.

Honest men can fight for a lie so long as they believe it, and liars can fight for honest causes. As far as the Golden Company is concerned, they're backing the trueborn Targaryen heir, and that's what they're going to tell everyone everywhere. If the truth is different, only the top captains are going to know, and they're going to bury it very deeply, because it's a truth that they don't need.

If it is a front, it's still a front the Golden Company needs. Which is why they would seek out men like that instead of denying them as age-old enemies.- whether they'd accept or not is irrelevant to that fact.

True

Archived