The experience of Meereen

Wmarshal

The experience in Meereen taught Dany that conquest and ruling are two different things.

Incidentally, this oversight is a flaw that she shares with her cousin Robert.

I think we are going to see a darker Daenerys as of her last chapter. She is going to harden her heart and significantly reduce her desire to protect innocent life. I think she will stave off improvement in court political skills, because who needs to learn to do that when she has Tyrion.

I feel like too many monarchs make the mistake of assuming that having talented advisers means that you can goof off and stop paying attention. The classic example is... er... Robert again. Jon Arryn was basically the actual king for 15 years, and as soon as he died (I mean as soon as he died) the entire continent basically imploded. Even if Tyrion is perfectly loyal to Daenerys -- which I won't believe since he clearly has his own agenda and it is completely unrelated to Dany's -- she still has to learn statecraft and courtly politics if she wants to be queen of anything. She can't just hope that someone smarter comes along and takes care of it since that never really works in Westeros. Chances are, if your whole regime relies on one smart person, that person will either turn out to be treacherous or they'll die before you do. Dany already lives in fear of betrayal and realistically as a young teenage girl she doesn't expect her older advisers to outlive her.

Would you as a reader say Dany's "adventures" makes her a good candidate for the throne, or not? Please explain your reasoning.

The question is irrelevant. Dany will never get to Westeros. By book 7 she'll probably be around Asshai "freeing slaves" and stuff. Who knows, maybe we even get a spinoff series of Dany explores the Shadow Lands, The adventures of Dany in Yi Ti, Dany goes on vacation to the Summer Isles, ...

She seems a good deal better than the other contenders, yes. I haven't noticed any other character show so much as a passing interest in actual governing and looking after a kingdom. The rest seem mostly fixated on gaining power for it's own sake.

Her last chapter certainly did come of as “well, this ruling thing is hard, so I am just going to throw a tantrum and start burning shit down.”

I don't think so.

The last chapter is simply about Dany overcoming her fear of using dragons and what they are, which she had throughout ADWD after Drogon ate Hazzea. There is nothing in the text that indicates that she was throwing a tantrum and is just going to burn things down.

I don't think so.

The last chapter is simply about Dany overcoming her fear of using dragons and what they are, which she had throughout ADWD after Drogon ate Hazzea. There is nothing in the text that indicates that she was throwing a tantrum and is just going to burn things down.

"Dragons plant no trees."

How do you read that, exactly? "Tantrum" might not be the accurate word, but I'm not sure how you don't get "destruction" out that that. And it's not talking (just) about the literal dragons. If Dany thinks of herself as a dragon, it means she doesn't plant trees, either.

If she had more of Tyrion's brains and less of Khal Drogo's.

If she had more of Twyin's phlegm and less of Viserys' paroxysm.

Then maybe she would have gained from the "adventure" (OP words), the right set of skills for the IT.

In Essos shouting at your opponents is fearsome, mighty, and makes you monarch. In Westeros, not so much.

So she has her work cut out for her.

She'll be a contender at any rate.

Surf or fight, she'll love the smell of dracarys in the morning... (if only...)

"Dragons plant no trees."

How do you read that, exactly? "Tantrum" might not be the accurate word, but I'm not sure how you don't get "destruction" out that that.

She never said that. Jorah said it to her in a vision in response to her stating why she stayed in Meereen, in other words Dany's subconscious was telling her what Jorah would have said.

She never said that. Jorah said it to her in a vision in response to her stating why she stayed in Meereen, in other words Dany's subconscious was telling her what Jorah would have said.

You said it yourself, it's Dany's subconscious. It's a projection in her own mind. You say she never said that, except that she did, via her own subconscious. For whatever reason, what it is she thinks she needs to "hear" comes from a projection of Jorah. Jorah isn't actually there saying anything, it's all in Dany's mind. She's basically saying it to herself. Which is the point. "Dragons plant no trees. Remember who you are ..."

If Dany is a dragon, she's not planting trees. Meaning, the benevolent shtick is now over, if she ends up going down the path her subconscious proposed.

Dany can either be everyone's mommy, or she can be a conqueror. She can't be both, and being a conqueror, the one thing she actually excels at, does not make her a good ruler. It just means she's good at burning shit down. I'll give her that much.

I think with her initial decision to stay in Meereen so she can learn to rule proves that she doesn't even think she's a good enough candidate. And all events that have unfolded have only made things worse for her. So in the long run the answer is definitely NOT, but it still won't stop her from trying I guess...

I dont think ruling Meereen is like ruling Westeros. In Meereen she was surrounded by hostile forces, and was required to seek out new allies, a new economy, balance new and old, deal with the fallout of abolishing an age old practice (slavery. We know that irl this is no easy task) etc. etc. Whereas in Westeros she would be ruling a land with well established traditions, institutions and a diverse economy that she doesn't need to replace. I dont think ruling in those two situations is quite the same.

That said, it would depend on the circumstances in which she ascended the Iron Throne as to whether I believe Meereen would help

ETA: it also depends how the Meereen storyline concludes too imo.

I think there still will be a bit of change to be done in the current situation Westeros is in. My prediction is that by the time Dany FINALLY decides to go to Westeros. She will have been converted (by Moqorro or some other Red Priest) to the R'hllor faith, so her main goal when she sits the IT would most likely to establish the faith as one of the main religions in Westeros. Sounds like a pretty big change if you ask me.

Not to mention eradicating any remaining Lannister supporters within her Court, with the exception of Varys (maybe....)

Could still be a useful role player in a ruling body of Targs, tho, where she doesn't have to carry the entire conversation.

Aegon could give speeches to thundering applause, Jon could do the..... ranging, or trade his black cloak for a gold one and still protect the realm but from closer to its heart, and Daenerys could play the Bruce Banner part when diplomacy has failed and it's time to send in the heavy negotiator.

And if Daenerys shows up R'hlloring and Stannis R'holls up on her and they're both Red Godders, how strange could that get?????

And if Daenerys shows up R'hlloring and Stannis R'holls up on her and they're both Red Godders, how strange could that get?????

I would love that. And I have a feeling that it's going to happen.

Dany: "A religion that thinks I'm its savior? SIGN ME UP."

People always compared Jon and Dany, but man, Dany and Stannis are alike in a lot of ways.

Red God association destroyed any bit of chance left for the common folk to accept Stannis as their king. He is a "demon-worshipper" in the eyes of common people. After Dany takes Volantis, Benerro will boost her already swollen ego to messianic proportions. That will end up very bad for Dany in Westeros.

Benerro jabbed a finger at the moon, made a fist, spread his hands wide. When his voice rose in a crescendo, flames leapt from his fingers with a sudden whoosh and made the crowd gasp. The priest could trace fiery letters in the air as well. Valyrian glyphs. Tyrion recognized perhaps two in ten; one was Doom, the other Darkness.

Shouts erupted from the crowd. Women were weeping and men were shaking their fists. I have a bad feeling about this. The dwarf was reminded of the day Myrcella sailed for Dorne and the riot that boiled up as they made their way back to the Red Keep.

Haldon Halfmaester had spoken of using the red priest to Young Griff’s advantage, Tyrion recalled. Now that he had seen and heard the man himself, that struck him as a very bad idea. He hoped that Griff had better sense. Some allies are more dangerous than enemies.

I dont think ruling Meereen is like ruling Westeros. In Meereen she was surrounded by hostile forces, and was required to seek out new allies, a new economy, balance new and old, deal with the fallout of abolishing an age old practice (slavery. We know that irl this is no easy task) etc. etc. Whereas in Westeros she would be ruling a land with well established traditions, institutions and a diverse economy that she doesn't need to replace. I dont think ruling in those two situations is quite the same.

That said, it would depend on the circumstances in which she ascended the Iron Throne as to whether I believe Meereen would help

ETA: it also depends how the Meereen storyline concludes too imo.

This. Meereen is full of hurtles that Westeros simply wouldn't have. In Westeros she'll mostly just have to conquer it and the ruling will be pretty straight forward.

I for one found it intersting that she did not run away, from the situation but stayed to gain the experience necessary. However in some ways I feel she is not direct enough in her assertiveness and that turns alot of readers off from her.After she learns that in order to make an omlet you have to crack some eggs she will be fine.

I would love that. And I have a feeling that it's going to happen.

Dany: "A religion that thinks I'm its savior? SIGN ME UP."

People always compared Jon and Dany, but man, Dany and Stannis are alike in a lot of ways.

Exacly: alot of people do not realize Stannis and Mel worship fire, and Dragons are fire made flesh. So if Dany is the mother of dragons hHHMMMMMM?

Yeah, I think Dany went from being the Mhysa to being a Targaryen Dragonlord. And Targaryen Dragonlords don't give a shit about their people. Her rule wasn't very good, she was inexperienced, but through her mistakes she actually stumbled into what she wanted: Peace with Yunkai (even if temporary) and the end to the Harpy. It was only when she left that all this collapsed (due to the Shavepate's intrigues and the collapse of any competent leadership on the Yunkish side).

Archived