Moody Murder Mysteries

Datepalm

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Gods he looks even more ridiculous in that mustache.

The bit where he's shaving and you think he's going to get rid of it... But it fits with the times I guess.

I like the sartorial sense of Box, the 'more worried about being cool, than doing any work' lead investigator. Very Bodie and Doyle. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2017 at 3:53 AM, Myshkin said:

How has no one in this thread yet mentioned Happy Valley

Good news, season 3 is confirmed:

It’s been a slow-moving saga, and it still might be, but screenwriter Sally Wainwright has now confirmed that series three of Happy Valley has now been greenlit.

Series two of the internationally acclaimed crime drama aired in the UK three years ago and speculation has taken place ever since as to when a third series might emerge.

Now, appearing at a TV festival and interviewed by Line Of Duty’s Jed Mercurio, no less, Wainwright said a third series WILL happen.

However, TBI reports:

However, she adds that scripts will only get going once she has completed the already-commissioned second series of HBO/BBC One co-production Gentleman Jack, which recently wrapped its first series to stellar ratings.

We missed the start of Endeavor S6 here on PBS, but the early episodes are not offered On Demand by Comcast.  Usually they are for a TV show in it’s current season.  That’s really frustrating.  No point in starting to watch at episode 4.  We’ll just have to wait ages until Amazon offers it for streaming.

• 7 months later...

Also, Midsomer Murders grew on me. They're goofy rather than gloomy but they'll do.

Unforgotten - might be my most anticipated show now. Love how well they're put together.

Dublin Murders - eh, not bad but not really my genre, I think. The supernatural stuff and the story always revolving around the cops own dark emo pasts was a bit much.

Deadwater Fell was pretty good.

Guilt - very dark humor, good variation.

The Loch - god help me if I can remember any details, but it was a perfectly fine example of the type: small town, check. Overworked cop, check. Lavish shots of Scottish landscape, check. What more do you need? 

Traces -  set in Aberdeen, I think. Some dodgy characterization, but the ho-humness of the lab and the investigation was a nice change.

(Its amazing anyone in Scotland hasn't been murdered yet, really.)

(My brain has been pretty fried lately, I've been binging these pretty hard.)

20 hours ago, Datepalm said:

(Its amazing anyone in Scotland hasn't been murdered yet, really.)

I'm not sure the rest of the British Isles are any safer judging by what we see on TV.

It does make me wonder which is the most dangerous part of Britain according to murder mysteries. I'd think Glasgow (Taggart), Oxford (Morse, Lewis, Endeavour) and Midsomer might be the top contenders.

29 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I'm not sure the rest of the British Isles are any safer judging by what we see on TV.

It does make me wonder which is the most dangerous part of Britain according to murder mysteries. I'd think Glasgow (Taggart), Oxford (Morse, Lewis, Endeavour) and Midsomer might be the top contenders.

I have to assume its Midsomer, what with the ever more unlikely murders at assorted village fetes, obstacle courses, gardening shows, cricket matches, contested inheritances of moderately sized houses, local-school-gym ballroom dances, etc.

Though there's probably some Scottish ur-village on a cliff somewhere where the population was only 30 people to start with and literally everyone has been murdered now.

Being quasi in academia, the notion that Oxford is a seething hotbed of murderous impulses does not seem unlikely.

16 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Though there's probably some Scottish ur-village on a cliff somewhere where the population was only 30 people to start with and literally everyone has been murdered now.

Hamish Macbeth!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamish_Macbeth_(TV_series)

Hamish is also dingbat, but not in the same way Midsomer Murders was.  I say was because it's clearly reached its sell-by date by now, even for me.  Still, I persist.

Back to Hamish though -- there is one episode, maybe in the third series?, in which everyone gets involved with a pirate radio station (staffed by locals) reading on air and reading club.  The pub goes nuts because sit in it all day reading and discussing and inevitably fighting over the books they are reading.  It's just bonkers, in the most jaw-dropping, ever increasing level of delight way.  Hilarious too.

21 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Being quasi in academia, the notion that Oxford is a seething hotbed of murderous impulses does not seem unlikely.

It does make me wonder why Cambridge seems to have a much lower fictional murder rate (even taking into account Granchester).

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Hamish Macbeth!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamish_Macbeth_(TV_series)

Hamish is also dingbat, but not in the same way Midsomer Murders was.  I say was because it's clearly reached its sell-by date by now, even for me.  Still, I persist.

Back to Hamish though -- there is one episode, maybe in the third series?, in which everyone gets involved with a pirate radio station (staffed by locals) reading on air and reading club.  The pub goes nuts because sit in it all day reading and discussing and inevitably fighting over the books they are reading.  It's just bonkers, in the most jaw-dropping, ever increasing level of delight way.  Hilarious too.

OK, that sounds excellent.

I also sort of enjoyed Monarch of the Glen way more than it probably deserved, mainly because it was that rare show devoted extensively to rural landuse regulation conflicts. There was a whole episode about moving a village bus stop, if I recall correctly, an one with an extended local public participation in planning process meeting on some sort of heritage preservation question. These are my people.

Midsomer also has an episode that revolves around low grade corruption in the progressive erosion of developer concessions on a commercial brownfield development, and that may have also been the episode with a sort of slinky, suspicious county planning officer and some outrage over a modernist residential house in a traditional village landscape. (Also, I assume someone was murdered at some point in the episode, but at that point, who cares?)

6 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

(Also, I assume someone was murdered at some point in the episode, but at that point, who cares?)

Exactly!  Which is why I adored it, at least during the first Barnaby.  The actor just got that stuff down perfectly -- and other moments too, such as the episode that rather centers the woman who raises raptors from eggs, and how Barnaby felt about her.

The new Barnaby, his cousin, just isn't Nettles.  He began as the driver for the most useless person who ever existed -- a Mrs. Bates or something like that -- and he just doesn't have that range of from loveable to unfair to real understanding and compassion that Nettles' Barnaby seemed to do effortlessly.  Plus Nettle's Barnaby's wife was so much more interesting too!  They had the greatest ensemble.

But! Monarch of the Glen -- Susan Hampshire -- there was nothing not to love!

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Exactly!  Which is why I adored it, at least during the first Barnaby.  The actor just got that stuff down perfectly -- and other moments too, such as the episode that rather centers the woman who raises raptors from eggs, and how Barnaby felt about her.

The new Barnaby, his cousin, just isn't Nettles.  He began as the driver for the most useless person who ever existed -- a Mrs. Bates or something like that -- and he just doesn't have that range of from loveable to unfair to real understanding and compassion that Nettles' Barnaby seemed to do effortlessly.  Plus Nettle's Barnaby's wife was so much more interesting too!  They had the greatest ensemble. 

Midsomer is an odd show, with the weirdest tonal range - everything from almost slapstick comedy to almost psychological horror. There's like one episode somewhere that is like a creepy gothinc incest house, complete with nuns that Barnaby is barely in. WHAT was happening there?

Archived