Moody Murder Mysteries

Datepalm

10 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Inspector George Gently and trusty sidekick Bacchus return for the final time to solve more mysterious crimes in a two-part series.The eighth and final season of Inspector George Gently will premiere on BBC One on Sunday May 21st at 8:30pm

I thought the series had ended already.  Yay, one more.  Excellent.  George Gently is someone I could have fallen in love with back in his day.

Bosch is pretty good, although more ensemble character-driven, like The Wire, than moody or atmospheric.  The central crime arc extends through all ten episodes of a season, with three seasons available on Amazon so far. 

There is another thread dedicated just to Bosch.  

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thread Necro!  I don't remember who suggested Endeavor, but it's my new favorite.  Sometimes I leave work too tired even to read and love to crash out to a good mystery.  I finished all of Midsomer and Endeavor has been a wonderful replacement.  The music is wonderful.

Has the series Killing Eve already aired on BBC? I see it premieres this month on BBC America, and with the atrocious promotion of its series, I've heard and seen next to nothing about it. However, the little I have discovered has me interested.

1 hour ago, Lily Valley said:

NEW SEASON OF DEATH IN PARADISE IS OUT!  WOOT!  NETFLIX!

I watched the whole thing this weekend!  It is different in some subtle but important ways than the previous seasons.  Without any spoilers, it felt just a tad darker than the previous seasons.  Oddly, one of the reasons  for this, for me, is that, unlike in previous seasons, one can see the characters sweating -- sometimes one can even see damp spots on shirts.  (There are other reasons too, but not saying anything now.)

Having spent significant time on Guadalupe where the series is shot, I always wondered why on the show, nobody sweated, even after running or other prolonged exertion, or even perspired -- that is one humid island, you know.  I found even the thinnest of Indian cotton sleeved shirts were too much to wear.  No sleeves on Guadalupe!

In a Radio Times piece about the series last month, Kris Marshall, the actor who plays Inspector Humphrey Goodman, went on, at length, about the deep discomfort of shooting in the heat and humidity.

On 2018-04-01 at 2:13 PM, Isis said:

I don't know who said it first but I've said it A LOT. And it just gets better with each series. I was listening to the OST earlier. 

I came across Inspector Morse right towards the end of it’s existence, and it pretty much became my favourite show. Lewis was a nice continuation, and though it would have been irritating to have followed Morse with a crappy sequel, I didn’t feel too concerned as it was an after-the-fact continuation that wouldn’t have tarnished the original. But when I heard they were making Endeavour, I was really, worried. I mean, excited, but mostly ‘oh, fuck, no...please don’t’.

I cannot tell how joyous my relief had been with the caring and brilliant handling of the character in Endeavour, how it’s gone so far beyond being happy they didn't fuck it up to loving what they’re adding while maintaining ideas like literary allegory plots (Lion in Winter, Gatsby, et al as nods to Morse’s opening Oedipal fuck-up...Lewis did it too, with Hamlet for e ample) but it’s more important with the character himself because it’s his particular romantic/wanting-the-world-to-be-redeemed mind that sees similarities in pattern and therefore makes leaps, often wrongly. 

And, rare for episodic mystery series, I can’t think of any episodes which were clearly sub-standard, and I have a hard time picking the ‘best’ episode. Probably Girl because of when/what it was...pilot was more waiting to exhale...or Rocket/Gatsby one because they happily chose personal favourites of mine to reflect. Anyways, I have yet to start watching latest season...always been the ‘enjoy the anticipation’ type rather than rushing to open the present type, but just the series as a whole is an almost perfect joy for me.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

I watched the whole thing this weekend!  It is different in some subtle but important ways than the previous seasons.  Without any spoilers, it felt just a tad darker than the previous seasons.  Oddly, one of the reasons  for this, for me, is that, unlike in previous seasons, one can see the characters sweating -- sometimes one can even see damp spots on shirts.  (There are other reasons too, but not saying anything now.)

Having spent significant time on Guadalupe where the series is shot, I always wondered why on the show, nobody sweated, even after running or other prolonged exertion, or even perspired -- that is one humid island, you know.  I found even the thinnest of Indian cotton sleeved shirts were too much to wear.  No sleeves on Guadalupe!

In a Radio Times piece about the series last month, Kris Marshall, the actor who plays Inspector Humphrey Goodman, went on, at length, about the deep discomfort of shooting in the heat and humidity.

The DCI from the first season in his wool suits KILLED ME.  He sweated constantly and it was hilarious.  The weather here is similar in the summer and I about died laughing over those suits.

6 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

The DCI from the first season in his wool suits KILLED ME.  He sweated constantly and it was hilarious.  The weather here is similar in the summer and I about died laughing over those suits.

Yah, that was such a white person in the tropics thing to do -- James Michener goes on about the missionaries changing into wool on September 1st in Hawaii, despite the temperatures always staying hot.  So it was kinda hard to suspend disbelief on that one, but the actor made the character pull it off.  But nobody else sweated, and by golly I knew they would be, despite shorts, backless, sleeveless, etc.  But this season is different -- not too much so, because it remains totally comfort viewing -- and I have no shame saying how much I like my dependable comfort viewing.

This isn't a spoiler but guess what?  Speaking of dependable comfort tv: Jason Hughes who played Ben Jones for so long on Midsomer Murders, and still comes back for an episode now and again that he's an undercover, is in one of the episodes this season.  It always warms my heart to see Hughes - Ben!

21 hours ago, Zorral said:

Yah, that was such a white person in the tropics thing to do -- James Michener goes on about the missionaries changing into wool on September 1st in Hawaii, despite the temperatures always staying hot.  So it was kinda hard to suspend disbelief on that one, but the actor made the character pull it off.  But nobody else sweated, and by golly I knew they would be, despite shorts, backless, sleeveless, etc.  But this season is different -- not too much so, because it remains totally comfort viewing -- and I have no shame saying how much I like my dependable comfort viewing.

This isn't a spoiler but guess what?  Speaking of dependable comfort tv: Jason Hughes who played Ben Jones for so long on Midsomer Murders, and still comes back for an episode now and again that he's an undercover, is in one of the episodes this season.  It always warms my heart to see Hughes - Ben!

BEN!!!  I can't wait to get to that one!  Work has been so crazy this week I'm getting about 15 minutes into an episode and crashing out, which is what I LOVE about my mysteries.  I'm still on ep 3.  Hoping to have a nice binge this weekend, no plans except vacuuming and catboxes!  I'm always very happy to put that off for a good couch TV bender.

• 2 weeks later...

The most recent Agatha Christie adaptation on the BBC (Ordeal by Innocence) was very good. Highly recommend it if you can catch it on iplayer on something. It's a three parter and it's very modern and dark for a BBC show. Great performances all round but Bill Nighy, Matthew Goode and Anna Chancellor were especially good.

There's a Guardian piece here about how the effin and blindin in the show got some people people a little upset.

Sweary Agatha Christie

• 9 months later...

We need some new detective series that are enthralling without being so very grim and ghastly.  Endeavour never did much for me to start with.  All the ones we've mentioned are no longer even broadcast.  Remakes of Christie's brilliant material has been tavestied to such an extent that they aren't even Christie, much less Poirot -- ABC Murders I am looking at you.

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

We need some new detective series that are enthralling without being so very grim and ghastly.  Endeavour never did much for me to start with.  All the ones we've mentioned are no longer even broadcast.  Remakes of Christie's brilliant material has been tavestied to such an extent that they aren't even Christie, much less Poirot -- ABC Murders I am looking at you.

You are dead inside. I'm sorry for you.

Archived