How would you rate episode 405?

Ran

How would you rate episode 405?  

576 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I would give it 4 out of 5 goblets of Dornish wine. I didn't this episode was too slow. I found myself paying very close attention,especially with Lysa and Littlefinger. I enjoyed the action scenes. Everything seems to be building up to somethimg bigger this season ( i did read the books), but i think the show does a pretty good job with the build up.

Oh, i should mention that i do love Brianne and think Gwendoline Christie plays her well. She portrays her how insae her in the books. She's a bit saucy.

108 votes in, 7.53 average, 7 median, 7.57 normalized average.

Gave it a 7, myself. The stuff beyond the Wall kind of ended in a whimper, while the King's Landing stuff highlighted how much softer and less compelling I find Cersei on the show. That said, folks, Cersei was not just being nice -- she was working on each of the three judges -- and it says something about the way the show-runners have decided to do things, that Margaery is the obvious stand-in for the judges rather than, you know, Mace Tyrell who's actually THERE and has hardly been used at all despite being played by a distinguished actor; couldn't he have at least been a part of the conversation? -- to subtly, more or less, influence them on Tyrion's trial.

Kate Dickie is fantastic, though, and the Arya-Hound stuff was pretty good, I thought. Oh, and whether it's spoilery or not, I thought Thomas Brodie-Sangster's performance as Jojen touched on Bran's destiny and his own fate suitably creepy; well performed, on his part, and well-written by the writers. I do think they missed some opportunities with the Night's Watch attack on Craster's, though, and maybe finished up using Locke too quickly.

Edited by Ran

The Jon and Ghost reunion was everything! Interesting play between Tywin and Cersei. Is there mention of Westerland gold mines in the books? I don't recall. I wonder if non book folk even realize at this point who Jon Arryn is and how much Littlefinger owns everyone!!!

The Casterly Rock thing is for the show. No danger of the mines running out in the novels. The reason Tywin doesn't just buy the crown out all its debts in the books is that there _are_ limits to how much wealth he has on hand (he's already a substantial debt holder as it is) and he's not going to cripple the house by tying up all of its wealth with the crown. The reason Cersei doesn't do the same is likely in emulation of that, with the added bonus that she well-and-truly believes that she can tell the Iron Bank to go hang.

Are you guys nuts? Weakest episode of the bunch? IT was great!

Everything Vale/Arya/Jon/Oberyn was pretty fantastic.

I was thinking the same thing. And boy they did a great job with Cersi manipulating her Dad, Margery, and O (the judges).

And I had a fun time watching Pod and Brianne.

Then there was Arya and the Hound, with Arya getting another lesson about life&death and a nice little slap for her to remember.

So with great things happening for some of my favorite characters... I thought it was an awesome episode. I'm giving it an 8 out of 10.

Though I hate that they made Pod so useless... C'mon he is smart enough to know that a rabbit isn't cooked with its fur. Yeah I'm nitpicking about that.

Pod should be on next seasons 'Worst Cook in Westros'.

Edited by Fagatron

I gave it an 8 because I like the changes they are making from the books. Cercei sending a ship to Myrcella and getting close to Oberyn; Tywin discussing financial vulnerability and how everything belongs to the bank; Craster's women acting all rebel; Cercei not being so evil (frst time she's not behaving like she's got her period in a long time); Brienne being so STYLISH...

I loved this episode and gave it a 10. I thought it was fabulous that Locke got what was coming to him, Jon and the NW got rid of those vipers at Crasters, Bran/Hodor/Summer/Meera and Jojen were on their way.....and the "good guys" finally won something. It was nice to finally see the good guys win at Crasters. HODOR!!! That was a great scene with him killing Locke.

I get so tired of evil winning over good in this series. I really liked this episode.

HODOR!!!

Hodor, HorDOr, HODoR!

Solid 8. Great job by Lena Headey this episode. "Everywhere in the world they hurt little girls." So much packed into that, and Oberyon with his eight daughters gets it. An unlikely pair to be actually talking to each other instead of past or around each other like most Kings Landing conversations.

Loved Arya creeping the Hound out and then the Hound schooling Arya the next morning. Also, they're really building the Mountain back up this season, really looking forward to the character's return.

They also did a surprisingly nuanced job of showing Hodor's confusion and dismay after the warging.

Even good ole' King Cleon got a mention.

I would give it 4 out of 5 goblets of Dornish wine. I didn't this episode was too slow. I found myself paying very close attention,especially with Lysa and Littlefinger. I enjoyed the action scenes. Everything seems to be building up to somethimg bigger this season ( i did read the books), but i think the show does a pretty good job with the build up.

Oh, i should mention that i do love Brianne and think Gwendoline Christie plays her well. She portrays her how insae her in the books. She's a bit saucy.

Yes a Saucy minx indeed. And she has the strapping 'hung' Pod to help her out of her Armor at night.

Thought it was a good episode.

I was a little conflicted with the way the Jon Snow/Karl Tanner showdown went. On one hand, I thought it was awesome when that girl stabbed Karl in the back, he definitely had that coming. On the other hand, I dislike that Jon was seconds away from being killed by that Gin Alley scum.

My humble opinion is that they should have had Jon outclass him, he's a scumbag assassin who's been doing nothing but drinking for who knows how long. Overall I'm disappointed in how that went down. Loved when he punched Longclaw through the back of his head though.

I liked that when Arya added some names to her "prayers," she seemed to consider whether to include the Hound. It was pretty clutch the way she let him hear his name.

And although the show seems to be taking a different tack with their story (the inn scene from a couple episodes ago) I have to say, I thought she definitely stabbed him, that was unexpected for reader's.

I want the series to be respectful of the books, as it seems to be thus far, but I enjoy it when they change things up a little; they even seem to elaborate occasionally on some things.

An all around interesting episode, a little slow, but a lot of info that moved the plot along. Most interesting tidbit was that the Lannister gold mines are not producing anymore. Interesting, I wonder if this diverges from the books or if the same factor is at work as well? Sort of backs my thoery that the Lannister incomes are dependent on the throne repaying the loans Tywin made to it. Never understood Tywins all or nothing attitude but if the base of Lannister power has failed it makes sense. I gave it a 7.

The gold mines comment was an interesting little moment in the show. It gave me cause, as a book reader, to contemplate the meaning of it.

Besides that point I'm a 6 for the episode. Overall the episode felt pretty flat in my opinion. Craster's Keep battle went pretty much exactly as I thought it was going to with Bran not meeting Jon and Locke dying. Cersei is plotting and scheming again and took up way too much screen time doing it. The writing for show Tywin seems to get worse and worse every episode. Overall just a meh episode.

Cersei was working the judges to make them vote against Tyrion. She wasn't trying to be friendly. People complain when the show isn't subtle, but when it is subtle, they don't get it haha

I loved the subtle touches with Cersi. Though of course they go and ruin it with Tywin telling her out right that he can't be manipulated by her because he is a judge.

Though they did recover with her jab about what punishment he was going to give tyrion. Since he has already disowned Jamie and all he did was refuse his duty to his father and family.

It it were me I would have left Tywin for last in the manipulation scenes.

Yeah that was clutch what Cersei said about what Tywin thought Tyrion deserved if he would shun/disown Jaime for not being quite a good enough Team Lannister Player, and Tywin didn't look like he thought Tyrion would avoid punishment; rather the look on his face seemed to imply that he didn't relish what he thought he may likely have to do with Tyrion...It was an interesting moment.

The Gold Mines comment was interesting, though for some reason, though I was shocked, I thought he was likely lying to Cersei to rein in her extravagance and make her more responsible and forward-thinking regarding House Lannister's future. I didn't remember it from the books, and I thought it would stand out to me if it was in the novels but it made me wonder nonetheless.

Great dialogue all around I think. Tywin/Cersei, Oberyn/Cersei. I thought the concerns of the Lanisters was interesting. The reveal that Arya wished Hound dead. The resolution of Daenerys.

9/10