How would you rate episode 405?

Ran

How would you rate episode 405?  

576 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I was torn between a 7 and an 8. The part in the Vale certainly deserved the 8, as did Cersei's conversation with Oberyn. I didn't enjoyed the other parts as much, though. Today I was feeling generous, so an 8 it is.

So far, my ratings had been: 7, 8, 5 and 6. *

*As I alway say, it'd be cool if everyone shared their past votes in the season and not only the current episode, to give persepective. It's very different a 10 from a a poster who has voted every season's episode a 9 or a 10, than a 10 from someone who was giving sixes or sevens.

..... Mace Tyrell who's actually THERE and has hardly been used at all despite being played by a distinguished actor; couldn't he have at least been a part of the conversation? -- to subtly, more or less, influence them on Tyrion's trial.

It's passing odd D&D were quite pleased about getting Roger Ashton-Griffiths and I don't think he's had more that two sentences.

Odd.

I also noticed, at least I think I did, either a stand in or a maybe a visual cameo by Dianna Rigg , hard to tell, for Olenna, would not minded having seen Rigg get one last parting scene.

Edited by boojam

No, it's was at the last chapter of ASOS, right before the epilogue. Lysa is already dead in AFFC.

That is right. The last chapter in ASOS is when we learn about all the plotting Littlefinger did with the help of Lysa and when he shoves her through the Moon Door.

NORTH: I'm usually not a purist when it comes to creating alternative plot lines in the show. Hence, I had high hopes for Locke and his new arc. So, this was anti-climatic. Why on Earth was he introduced into the NW plot-line only to be killed in the next episode? So, that was badly done.

Another northern irrationality in this episode was Jon's behaviour at Craster's keep. He never even asked the women if Bran and his group were there? So, he suspected Bran could be there, but he never asked. Also, after burning the CK none of the brothers of the NW gathered any intelligence from the women. Lame. However, Carl's death was awesome. Jon/Ghost reunion could have been more emotional. Bran the killer! A very interesting development there.

DAENERYS: What the hell is going on with Emilia Clarke's acting? Does she have a speech impediment and has to say everything so artificially and in such a slow pace?

THE VALE: The plot there was too rushed. Way too rushed. And a lot of foreshadowing in this and the previous episodes. The Moongate scene was too obviously filmed in the same gorge where we met the Thenns, so not a good work there. And I expected Lysa to change after her wedding night. I would have liked to see the Fingers. I liked Sweetrobin though.

KING'S LANDING: It was difficult to follow all invented plot-lines. Show Cersei differs so much from the book Cersei and, try as I might, I can see no point in that. Suddenly, Tywin and Cersei are on the same page in everything. What about what we saw last season? Another not so logical development. OK. One could argue she wants to sway all the judges, but still ... Lannisters have no golden cow to milk? That's an important novelty. Ties well with the introduction of the Iron Bank, but I am not sure how cannon is that. I have to trust D&D on this. Still no Kattleblacks. Why? And pls do not say it's a budget thing. They kept Locke in for half a season for no reason.

BRIENNE/POD: Funny filler.

ARYA/HOUND: Pointless filer. We know all the points they made. No need to hammer them again.

I love this show and I hope this trend does not continue. 5/10 (the worst mark I've ever given).

Edited by Modesty Lannister

The Casterly Rock thing is for the show. No danger of the mines running out in the novels. The reason Tywin doesn't just buy the crown out all its debts in the books is that there _are_ limits to how much wealth he has on hand (he's already a substantial debt holder as it is) and he's not going to cripple the house by tying up all of its wealth with the crown. The reason Cersei doesn't do the same is likely in emulation of that, with the added bonus that she well-and-truly believes that she can tell the Iron Bank to go hang.

I might be misremembering but seems , in the books, we don't have in quantitative knowledge about Casterly Rock's mines.

I always figured mines running or not they had a 'Fort Knox' type of deal and drew on that, but we don't have any knowledge of that either.

I think you are right , it's kind of fuzzy , Tywin has the means but does not want to bankrupt the Lannisters.

I remember vaguely that House Tyrells' wealth is from having a large taxable population.

They have a large 'middle class'? Doesn't anybody get wealth in Westeros by trade commerce?

The Iron Bank of Braavos again!

We even go there this season.

I don't think it's a spoiler because GRRM has brought the IB into play in the story already, but they start to seem be a bigger player more early on the show's story.

The Casterly Rock thing is for the show. No danger of the mines running out in the novels. The reason Tywin doesn't just buy the crown out all its debts in the books is that there _are_ limits to how much wealth he has on hand (he's already a substantial debt holder as it is) and he's not going to cripple the house by tying up all of its wealth with the crown. The reason Cersei doesn't do the same is likely in emulation of that, with the added bonus that she well-and-truly believes that she can tell the Iron Bank to go hang.

So in other words, what your saying is she's insane. Is there a reason why so many people seem to be mentioning The Iron Bank on the show. From what I recall, we don't really hear much about these guys until A Feast for Crows.

I gave it an 8, some of it was a little slow. Did not like Cersei / Marg conversation, just felt out of place. You can however see how Cersei is trying to "play nice" with everyone so she can get what she wants, Tyrion dead!

Vale seemed fine to me, except the very first spot where the soldiers are all ready to kill them. I mean if LF was there recently they should know who he is since Lyssa loves him so much. Liked Lyssa scene with Sansa, and is it just me or was Lyssa hair darker before, like a lot darker?

Crasters keep.... I would have preferred Jon and Bran met but Bran was able to show Jon why he has to keep going. Definitely figured on Bran skinchanging Hodor, nice Boss kill!

I rated this episode a 6. Not sure why but the show feels like it's losing its momentum with these last two.

I'm positive now that hbo will carry the show for only two more seasons, so basically next season will explode with spoilers and set the stage for the end.

Damn. 5/10 for me. This season has been about struggling to string together consecutive great episodes. So many things fell very flat this episode. But as always I'll start with the positives:

Positives

- Lysa/Sansa: Lysa was just as unhinged as i hoped she would be. The reason i really enjoyed that scene was how good Sophie played it though. From finally feeling almost as ease, to being put on the back foot, to panic, to the final shot of her sobbing where you can just see she is thinking "i'm not sure i'm any better off here". Great acting.

- Cersei: I liked how we saw pretty much all sides of her tonight. Sensible Cersei keeping her Tyrell enemy close, Clueless Cersei despite being in power for 20 years not knowing how anything is run and being schooled by Tywin, and Mother Cersei showing genuine concern for Myrcella.

- Pod/Brienne: I think they got the intended outcome right here. Brienne thinks Pod is useless and should go, Pod casually explains through his Blackwater story that his loyalty means he will do anything for his Lord/Knight. Respect from Brienne.

Negatives

- Dany/Jorah: Emilia's delivery in the same way every time is really starting to annoy me. Also, guess Jorah isn't going anywhere any time soon?

- Hound/Arya: Their scenes just screamed out that D&D have nothing left for these two until they part ways. Nothing new added at all with their screen time. Also, The Hounds make-up looked terrible! His burns were a weird yellow colour and looked so much faker than it ever has.

- Craster's: So many things wrong here. Even the Unsullied knew Night's Watch would prevail, and they treated that battle just that way. The show has no idea how to show 'the sight', Jojen's visions were messy. They've wasted Bran warging Hodor to fight now, would have been much better if they used that for when they have to fight wights(if that still happens). So much promise they could have had with the Locke character, now he's gone.

- Lysa/LF: I know it played that way in the books, but, gross.

Maybe because I have read all of the books multiple times this episode was the one I enjoyed the most this season (well, after seeing Joffrey die). Maybe for non-book readers it was harder to follow. I already posted my vote (a 10) and cannot believe all of the negative reviews here. This episode moved things along nicely and the Iron Bank is going to play a major role in the future so they have to keep mentioning it so people know the power it holds.

I am reading these reviews and shaking my head; I think this has been the best season of the show so far. I wonder if the difference it that it is harder for unsullied to follow since they have not read the books. Whatever, I guess we all have our own opinons.........

Now thats a little more like it. Pacing was a little better as was the dialog and acting except of course for Emilia. (Does she REALLY think she is the star of the show and a REAL Queen?) Im in with an 8.

I also now have higher hopes for the confrontation between The Mountain and The Viper. After the nonchalant way they presented the dispatching of the Champion of the City I was quite concerned. Karls demise allayed that fear.

Line of the episode goes to The Hound again. What he said about Meryn Trant was classic IMHO.