How would you rate episode 405?

Ran

How would you rate episode 405?  

576 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Liked:

Every line from Hound's mouth is pure gold.

Crazy aunt is beautifully crazy.

Not a fan of new Daario, but his part made me laugh in an otherwise weak storyline.

All about Jojen.

Bran and Co part as a whole (you can burn me as infidel, I don't care)

Not so much:

Locke's abrupt death. Come on, he deserved more time.

Daenerys storyline. At least they are now putting it to the beginning of the ep.

I gave this episode an 8/10 -- seems like even so-so episodes have something that redeems it for me. Last week it was Ser Pounce, this week Arya's water dancing and mention of Syrio Forel! My daughter fences and although she can't watch the show for obvious reasons, I do pick out scenes of Arya's sword-skills for inspiration that she can watch. This week was just amazing. I think the Hound's dismissal of water dancing is going to come back to bite him (at least I hope so, I was not happy when he smacked Arya).

I wasn't crazy about Cercei's portrayal. I get that she's trying to sway the judges but I think she'd be acting a bit more unhinged -- she was too calm and "normal".

Dany's scene was just meh.

I liked that one of Craster's wives/daughters got a chance to stab Karl (in retribution for the abuse) and essentially save Jon.

Ya gotta just love Tommen

8/10.

It was alright.

I liked:

- Pod and Brienne

- the inauguration

- the scenes in the Vale

- Oberyn and Cersei

- Tywin and Cersei

- the fight at Craster's

- Bran and his "gang".

I was a bit disappointed in that scene with Danaerys.

EDith adds her say: And I liked Arya and The Hound.

Edited by Lord_Tyrion

I'm not sure how I feel about this episode yet! Love/hate feeling so far.

I am one of the nitpickers regarding Sansa's use of "virgin" though. So we've got "kill the masters" in english, Olenna saying "all the rage!", virgin vs. maiden.... what's next, Dora the Explorer popping up when Dany yells dracarys? "Say it again! Dra-car-ys!

I mean c'mon, I think most people watching the show know how to figure out maiden means virgin within the context. Little things like that are what make the show awesome.

ETA: Also pretty sure maiden has been used several times already? In reference to Marg most likely.

Edited by three eyed korben

Weakest of the season... maybe, but its been an amazing season so not that weak relative to the entire series. Hence a solid 8 rating from me.

The Good:

- The Eyrie scenes. My wife, the non-book reader, had the reaction I hoped for upon hearing the Jon Arryn reveal! Although, I didn't think it wasn't going to be revealed until ep. 7.

- Casters Keep: Was worried about them veering the Bran/Jon story line off the rails after last weeks ep. but its back on track. It did give us a nice visualization of Bran making that decision between reuniting with Jon or continuing the mission. Also, Hodor's possesion, although predictable, was still good to see happen. His disgust after being let go and seeing the blood on his hands was noteworthy too.

- Liked the unexpected twist with the interaction between Margery and Cersei.

The Bad:

- No scenes I truly disliked. The rest filler but good filler with character development.

I happen to agree with the book-reading slant against our current genius-of-manipulation, Cersei. Lena Headey is excellent, and I'm not downgrading the episode because I really enjoyed all her scenes in it. But let's get it straight: book Cersei is an idiot. She is, like, truly superstupid, and transparently insane,. Her cosying up to Oberyn is actually in character, because the Martells dislike the Tyrells and it's the better alliance she's been offered by her father in the novels considering Loras being a Tyrell and being unquestionably gay. Among the wondrous prospects she gets given in the novels are marriage to either Balon or Theon Greyjoy, despite the fact that neither has yet been asked. In the novels and the series, Oberyn is someone Cersei has no personal prejudice against, and apart from the fact he's not a Robert-style drunkard, he's intelligent, and also an attractive man. It's Oberyn himself who has no interest in the arrangement, which Cersei is perfectly content with, because he sees it rightly as a sweetener to stop him pursuing justice against Tywin, Gregor and anyone else involved in the death of his sister. The writers are quite rightly explicating material that happens offscreen in the books.

Her subtlety in attempting to manipulate others strikes a somewhat false note in line with the fact the Cersei we know and laugh at is not a very intelligent person, whose motives are always easy to read. I really feel that the writers have been reluctant to have too much of book Cersei's character on display in order to placate PC-style feminists who have already complained about Martin's purported bias against female leader figures in the novels (based on Cersei, but ignoring the fact that Dany is one of the most able leaders in the series), so they're not trying to go too far down that road. But it is a bit frustrating, especially since it gives them less to work on with the AFfC adaptation. The consistent zaniness of her chapters is by some distance the most interesting thing in that book.

Edited by The Killer Snark

Beautiful episode, again nothing that really bothered me (much). Liked each scene and interaction. Especially Arya/Hound and the Eyrie.

And I even don't know whether I like show Dany or book Dany more any longer. That is about the greatest compliment I can give to the show, since I love the books.

The writers clearly have different ideas about some characters (Cersei a lot this episode), but I can't really expect them to see everything like I do.

All in all, it was a very strong episode especially because it was good without interruption: 9/10. Not a 10 because there was no killer moment like in: big thing happened, or: really emotional thing happened. Kind of like an LP from which you like to listen to every song, you don't want to skip one, but no single one stands out either. Over the years, that are the albums I listen to most often.

Thank you for the statistics.

Do we have anywhere an overview over all season/episode votes (vote count and average) for convenient comparison?

I was just wondering the same. Ran's last post in each rating thread for season 4 has the following:

Ep 1 "Two swords" - 626 votes, 8.16 average. 8 median, 8.28 normalized average.

Ep 2 "The Lion and the Rose" - 545 votes in, average of 8.33, median of 9, normalized average of 8.48

Ep 3 "Breaker of Chains" - 549 votes in, 6.97 average, 8 median, 7.08 normalized average

Ep 4 "Oathkeeper" - 614 votes, 7.66 average, 9 median, 7.86 normalized average.

ETA: Of course we still need all the UK etc. viewers to vote for this episode. :)

Edited by Turinqui-Calima

I rate with an 8 cause i generally enjoyed it.As others have mentioned it was a somewhat predictable episode.If you look at other posts you'll see that a lot of people predicted Hodor's warging and the almost there reunion of the Starks

Now to my complains

First of all the whole Jon knows thing and the part of Locke were completely unnecessary.They made that huge change with Sam spitting it all out, they send Locke up the Wall for what reason?So he may grab Bran and start running???What was the point of that?Most reasonable thing would have been to slit the throats of all 4 right there.Since the Starks didn't reunite anyway,Jon could have well been unaware of Bran's presence beyond the wall.And maybe Locke could have been replaced from one mutineer like Rast,for instance.It would make more sense for him or any other of the bad guys to grab Jon's brother and run when things went awfully bad for them,so that he could use him as a bargaining chip in case they find him.Also didn't all this bunch of women there realize that the mutineers had some people captured?The most reasonable thing again would have been to have a line of "Hey sir Crow there are some poor fellows captured" or something like that.This IMO is a proof that the butterfly effect is not a very good thing cause than you need to create plotholes and in order to fix the crap you brought up out of your mind.

Edited by Daenor

I'm not sure how I feel about this episode yet! Love/hate feeling so far.

I am one of the nitpickers regarding Sansa's use of "virgin" though. So we've got "kill the masters" in english, Olenna saying "all the rage!", virgin vs. maiden.... what's next, Dora the Explorer popping up when Dany yells dracarys? "Say it again! Dra-car-ys!

I mean c'mon, I think most people watching the show know how to figure out maiden means virgin within the context. Little things like that are what make the show awesome.

ETA: Also pretty sure maiden has been used several times already? In reference to Marg most likely.

What are you talking about? GRRM even uses the term virgin a few times, interchangeably with maiden. This is a textbook case of complaining about nothing.

So he may grab Bran and start running???What was the point of that?Most reasonable thing would have been

Also didn't all this bunch of women there realize that the mutineers had some people captured?The most reasonable thing again

Yes, lots of little things like that ... still that doesn't ruin the fun for me. It's just TV. ;-)

Edited by I love Cersei