How would you rate episode 405?

Ran

How would you rate episode 405?  

576 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

8/10 It was a really good episode and it would have been great if it hadn't been for a few minor points:

- Robin knows about Sansa?

- Dany being cringe-worthily bland

- a little too much time spent in KL

(- a few others I don't remember now)

Yes, lots of little things like that ... still that doesn't ruin the fun for me. It's just TV. ;-)

That's why i rated with an 8 and said that i enjoyed.It's was like the last part of the Batman trilogy for me.Really loved it but lots of WTF after i start thinking about it.

I rate with an 8 cause i generally enjoyed it.As others have mentioned it was a somewhat predictable episode.If you look at other posts you'll see that a lot of people predicted Hodor's warging and the almost there reunion of the Starks

Now to my complains

First of all the whole Jon knows thing and the part of Locke were completely unnecessary.They made that huge change with Sam spitting it all out, they send Locke up the Wall for what reason?So he may grab Bran and start running???What was the point of that?Most reasonable thing would have been to slit the throats of all 4 right there.

I thought the same thing. How exactly was Locke going to escape with Bran considering he can't walk and has to be carried around by Hodor? And if Locke were to go missing, wouldn't that raise suspicions among Jon and Co? What exactly was Locke's plan? To drag Bran all the way back to Bolton? And if we assume that Locke also kills Hodor, Jojen and Meera, wouldn't their bodies be found the Jon and Co.? The whole thing makes no sense to me.

Locke could have slit all their throats and everyone would have thought it was the mutineers. Could have sauntered back to Castle Black with the rest of them and been gone riding for the Dreadfort the next day.

My thoughts too.Except that the writers also had him "warn" Jon to avoid that specific hut and obviously the dead bodies there would have pinpoint him as the killer.So with this "brilliant" trick they justify the fact that Locke had to run away.Now where would he go it's a completely different matter.The whole plan doesn't seem to have been the brightest

Edited by Daenor

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the best episode and didn't keep up with all the others which is to be expected. Doesn't deserve an 8 or 9, but it is good television. Got a 7 from me.

My biggest personal complaints are that Jon should have split that dude in half, straight through his two blades and into his skull. Show the value of that sword, please. Plus, Jon is no slacker with the sword. I'm glad the one girl/victim/craster's wife got her revenge, but I'd have rather Jon taken him out.

I had a feeling he was going to warg into Hodor, but the scene was a little forced/sloppy. I had a feeling they were going to make sure Jon and Bran did not see each other, but this was....I don't know, just sloppy.

Lady Arryn's jealousy was pretty fun to watch. And LF's awkward disgust toward Lady Arryn. Too bad boy Robin Arryn doesn't get to see his mommy fly...

Edited by Steve Stark

10/10.

Well, this was a directional masterpiece. There were moments when I felt like looking at a Lord of the Rings illustration by Alan Lee. It was an episode that established so much without being boring or dragging and interpreted certain book moments incredibly. I loved the Eyrie scenes, Kate Dickie was stunning, as was Sophie Turner. The final showdown at Craster's was done very well, considering they had to finish some characters' story lines and move the plot forward (even if it was very different from what happened in the books). There were subtleties that set up the characters and plot for episodes that can be expected next season, what I consider to be a great decision (Daenerys', Cersei's and Oberyn's scenes).

Top-notch acting, great photography and exceptional directing made this episode for me.

Episodes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5: 7;10;8;9;10/10.

I almost swore I was going to stop watching the show during the tail end of this episode. Depictions of rape make me ill. And I will give the show some credit, by turning Jaime and Cersei's encounter in the sept into an unambiguous rape scene, I now think all bets are off when it comes to show versus book. When Karl entered the hutch, I was in fear I was about to bear witness to another rape scene. I literally put the DVR on pause and got up to do some things around the house before sitting back down and grinding it out. I found what happened next well rewarding. Bad guys die, Bran takes action, and the blood on Hodor's hands is excellent "show, not tell" for the loss of innocence or something.

Beyond that, I think the episode was Sophie Turner's best performance to date. She does tears very well. The transition she goes through from thinking she's found family and safety, to realizing her aunt loves/fears/hates her, an innocent man is going to die (Tyrion), and she is being forced into another marriage was a great scene. Of course, Lysa Arryn does even more to sell that scene, I am very glad they got the same actress back. Altogether, the Vale was great, including the visual depiction of the Bloody Gate. This makes no sense with the geography of Westeros, but still looked cool.

However, on the other side of the world, Emilia Clarke gave her worst performance to date. I honestly think she was on drugs when her scenes were filmed. The close ups on her face showed bored bemusement. She just found out her work in ending slavery in two cities has been reversed. How does she respond when alone with her oldest and most trusted councilor? Annoyance. "Things aren't going to plan? What a bother, I guess I must be a queen and rule here."

Contrast her to Lena Headley, who gave some very interesting scenes. Cersei appears to be acting the grown up. She makes her peace with Margaery, and spends time bonding with Oberyn over the one thing they have in common, daughters. She also appears to stop fighting her marriage to Loras. I am sure on one level it is an act. On the otherhand, Cersei thinks she can better secure her objectives by working with people than against them.

Finally, I loved Tommen's coronation scene. I half expected a Tommen to just keel over and die the moment the Septon said "long may he reign." However, it had all the pomp and circumstance a coronation should have. The hall was packed full. Everyone was wearing their best clothes. The King's Guard stood in attendance with their fancy armor. Two lines of ceremonial goldcloaks. Tommen looking scared that he might screw up having a crown put on his head.

9/10

Very solid episode, and a step up from last week's, which was more of an ok/goodish ep.

-Seeing the Eyrie was great, and they did well with Lysa. I can imagine the reactions from the Unsullied going from "Aww, it's nice to see her among family again!" to "Oh right, this was the crazy lady".

-Cersei scenes were good as well. She's been pretty evil this season so far, so it was good to show some whitewashing to contrast it. ;) I was expecting ultimate bitchiness especially with Marg, so it's nice to see they don't always take the obvious route.

-I think this was the first episode not to feature Tyrion?

Sry but Cersei and Marg saying to each other they both knew Joff was an asshole and then Cersei telling Marg that Tommen is going to need a politically savvy strong queen when they are supposed to be enemies is just straight bs. The way Locke was supposed to kill Bran for Bolton but starts to carry him off before Hodor kills him is dumb. Why do that when he could've just cut all their throats and blamed it on the mutineers. The only thing that saved the episode was the funny oh petyr which I'm glad they kept and Karl showing up pretty boy Kit, though Jon Snow should've owned him, in Cqc I can see why 2 knives are better than a bastard sword.

What are you talking about? GRRM even uses the term virgin a few times, interchangeably with maiden. This is a textbook case of complaining about nothing

It sounded wrong as virgin is not the commonly used term. I cringed when I heard it, like when Olenna said "all the rage". It's not like I started a thread about some blasphemy :rolleyes:

Twatbeard's...Yeah, I voted with a 9, but I'll give you that much. The only person who bests Jon at swordplay in the books is Mance, disguised as Rattleshirt, who is simply really well skilled. Book Jon would have slaughtered Karl within seconds while using his wrong hand.

Edited by The Killer Snark

The only person who bests Jon at swordplay in the books is Mance, disguised as Rattleshirt, who is simply really well skilled. Book Jon would have slaughtered Karl within seconds while using his wrong hand.

I agree. Still bugs me, not the type of revenge Mormont deserved. :bang:

The knife through the mouth and slow removal was good.

It sounded wrong as virgin is not the commonly used term. I cringed when I heard it, like when Olenna said "all the rage". It's not like I started a thread about some blasphemy :rolleyes:

if you have a digital copy of the ASoIaF books then look up virgin and see how many times it's written. I only have aDwD and searching it brought up multiple times when it's said in dialogue and in thought. It doesn't sound weird if you're a fan of the series because you know that the term is used interchangeably with maiden, hence my comment about complaining about nothing. It makes perfect sense to use it in this instance, it's not like she said "No he didn't pop my cherry."

I thought the same thing. How exactly was Locke going to escape with Bran considering he can't walk and has to be carried around by Hodor? And if Locke were to go missing, wouldn't that raise suspicions among Jon and Co? What exactly was Locke's plan? To drag Bran all the way back to Bolton? And if we assume that Locke also kills Hodor, Jojen and Meera, wouldn't their bodies be found the Jon and Co.? The whole thing makes no sense to me.

The best thing I've been able to come up with is that he meant to question Bran about Rickon, kill him and then get ahead of the others and try to pick them off on the way back and then make out like he was the sole survivor when he got to the Wall. He seemed to have a very high opinion of his abilities and the only way it works is if he kills off all of them