How would you rate episode 405?

Ran

How would you rate episode 405?  

576 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

MizasterJ - Oberyn still does favour Tyrion, but they're showing something that actually happens offscreen in the novels, Tywin's attempt to foist Cersei off on Oberyn if it means he'll stop whatever plans he has against the Lannisters: plus Cersei's acquiescence in the scheme, and Oberyn deciding that although he'd like a threesome featuring Cersei and Ellaria, he sees through what the Lannisters are up to and still decides to help out Tyrion. He understands that part of the reason he's being offered the Cerster as wife is because The Mountain is set as her champion, and to forestall him taking Tyrion's side in the trial.

Some bits seemed very 6 (Dany, Pod/Brienne, Cersei/Margaery) and some bits seemed very 8 (Lysa/Sansa, Cersei/Oberon, Arya/Hound) so I've gone for a compromise at 7.

I'm glad that I've read the books so I understand why Dany doesn't want to go to Westeros right away, I'm sure I'd be lost without that because it seemed like such a snap decision on screen.

While I didn't like the Cersei/Margaery scene, I did like Cersei with the Viper. "Everywhere in the world they hurt little girls" - one of my favorite lines so far on the show.

I liked the episode, gotta say like everyone the ending was way better, Karl was a good little villain for a while, liked him because I'm a fan of Burn Gorman so I'm sad to see him go, Karl Tanner.....not so much, probably was killed in the best way possible.....ya know because he was a "Fookin Legend" i'll give it an 8. Also weird that Daenerys JUST got word of Joffrey's death, since it happened like 3 episodes ago.....guess word travels VERY slowly

Tyrion's trail was set for 'a fortnight' from when Pod visited him. I think it safe to assume that Pod's visit was very soon after he was imprisoned (a couple of days). The fact Dany knew within two weeks of his death actually suggests word travels VERY quickly.

Episode 5: I ended up giving this a 7. None of the segments was as bad as the crypt scene in episode 3, but none was as good as Tywin/Tommen in the same episode; so it averaged out the same. I find the stuff invented for the show to be rather hit or miss; and the episode seemed to me to have too much whispering.

I did find the Vale segment quite well done, however; particularly Lysa switching between being kind to Sansa and becoming insanely jealous. I prefer Martin's timing of the bombshell about JA's murder. Not fussed about niece vs. bastard, but Donald Duck did come to mind.

Daenerys was also pretty good, albeit rather rushed. She appears to be very well informed about events in Westeros, though.

Did the news come from SJ, indicating that he still has contacts in

Westeros? Are they going to have him revealed as an informer after all?

Those were the highlights. I guess there weren't any screaming lowlights, as such. I did wonder why Westeros seemed so unscathed, even bucolic. And OB bonding with Cersei and forgetting to be sarcastic? Now that I mention it, Cersei and Margaery are getting along pretty well too; of course they're not supposed to be openly hostile yet, but wasn't Cersei nasty to Margaery just a few episodes ago when the latter presumed to call her sister? For some reason, the Tywin scene didn't grab me as much as one would have expected, either. Anyway, that's enough nitpicking for now.

Not sure what your "nonsense" refers to, but if it's about the LF being behind everything big reveal, it should really have been left for way later in the season (ideally ep.10) : in the books it marks a milestone in plot advancement (arguably the biggest reveal at that point), here it will just be overlooked and probably forgotten by most Unsullied.

Plus, this means Only Cat in ep.7, and I happen to very much like that scene, was hoping they would keep it for ep.10.

I read on another thread that quite possibly, the reveal was done early EXACTLY SO the Unsullied would hear it loudly & clearly, & not have to recall it among the MANY more exciting reveals which will captivate all of us in the season final. I don't recall which genius poster said it, but that made enormous sense to me. My Unsullied BF will remember it now, & not have to try to recall it later, when his head will be exploding from the season end action. It may be rendered less important if combined with other events which will shock far more greatly. Kudos to the originator of this splendid theory!

And definitely a solid 8 rating from me, for "subtle" Cersei (Lena trying not to KILL Margaery for calling her 'Sis' or 'Mum' was exquisite--the lump Cersei swallowed must have been enormous!), for loony Lysa and her wicked talons nearly drawing blood from Sansa's hands, for Arya Needling (& being needled by) the Hound, & for the poignant, lingering looks given to Jon by his little brother, before Bran steels himself to forge on.

I gave this one an 8. A recap episode but nevertheless with much to admire and enjoy. Lena Headey is doing sterling work this year. I was slightly underwhelmed by the Jon Arryn reveal, but I am sure that is because in the books it was such a WOW moment and I'd never even suspected it. However, the scene between Kate Dickie and Sophie Turner was intense and a joy to watch - if only to see how far Sophie has come since Season 1. She paced her descent into fear perfectly throughout mad Lysa's speech.

I'm sure I'm not alone, however, in being slightly disappointed that the show have killed off Locke. I realise that as soon as he became involved in the added Bran story, his days were numbered, but I think he would have added an extra dimension of tension at the Wall for Jon in future episodes. I guess we'll just have to make do with Sir Alliser and Janos. Get ready, Edd.......

Yep, nothing much to complain about. A few pacing issues with the Hound/Arya and Brienne/Pod scenes being sort of 'thrown in' just so we could keep up with them, but as I enjoy both couples I wasn't too distraught.

ETA: Longclaw searing through Karl's mouth was effin' awesome!

Edited by Drogon's Personal Trainer

3 of 10 -- A bit better than last week, but the same major problems dragging it down -- weak Dany/Mereen scene, and the North scene was brutally horrible (although fortunately only 15 or so minutes this week instead of last weeks 20). My issue isn't that the material isn't in the books, it's that these scenes were so utterly horrible -- bad writing, bad acting, bad directing. The North scenes were two long blobs of material that just screamed filler -- everything set up and resolved in two episodes. The assault on Craster's Keep did not look like 9 NW taking on 11 drunk deserters by surprise. And the special effects (Jojen's hand burning, Karl Silvertongue & corpse) were pretty cheesy -- seriously, I'd rate them as "on par" with 80's slasher movies (Friday the 13th, et al).

Hoping not to see the North again until Stannis shows up.

If less time had been spent on the Craster's Keep nonsense and more time had been devoted to the things that actually matter, I probably would have given the episode a 9. But the Craster's Keep material and the extremely limited, rushed Meereen scene really brought it down some for me. So...8.

Do NOT get:

Bran leaving before saying hi to Jon.

Forget about my homeland which is my right, I will rule some random city where the other cities are coming to get me.

"Where are my Dragons?" Have not seen Dragons since 1st episode.

Lysas odd 'wedding' wouldn't she want a massive wedding with at least her son and neice present?

No Greyjoys.

No Tryion

I did like:

Lysa being so nice to Sansa and she knew who she was and was like "of course I know who you are, oh my beautiful neice we are all going to live happy in this odd castle, you, me, my son who still feeds of me and the owner of the brothel" and of course she did a 360 in such crazy lady fashion.

Pod and Brienne of Tarth 'adventure'

Oberyn FINALLY mentioning his daughters

I liked the episode, gotta say like everyone the ending was way better, Karl was a good little villain for a while, liked him because I'm a fan of Burn Gorman so I'm sad to see him go, Karl Tanner.....not so much, probably was killed in the best way possible.....ya know because he was a "Fookin Legend" i'll give it an 8. Also weird that Daenerys JUST got word of Joffrey's death, since it happened like 3 episodes ago.....guess word travels VERY slowly

Yep-like how long does it take to send a text to like Mereen or wherever?So totes fifteenth century.

solid stuff but nothing really breathtaking, gave it a 7

As could have been seen in every good crystal ball before, the Jon and Bran meeting did not take place (otherwise it would have been impossible for Bran to go further north and meet the 3eyed crow)

Interesting: Tywins revelation to Cersei that the Lannister gold wells have run dry and that she has to look for other gold wells (marry Loras) and be careful with the Iron bank

Scene I liked best: I like the couple Brienne and Pod...pretty funny!!

I do agree that the North stuff should have been curtailed in this season in order to make more room for our beloved Khaleesi, Mother of Eyebrows, who has been getting some pretty short shrift of late, but these problems reached their definite head in last week's episode, where the North scenes went on for longer going nowhere without timing than a Saturday Night Live sketch. By getting them out the way fast here, this confirms my view that sometimes the right hand in the writer's department disapproves of what the left hand has been doing. Hence the rather perfunctory death of scene-filler Locke with his completely puzzling non-novels arc. They did this in the last season by getting rid of Roz when they realized they'd hit a dead end with an invented character. I actually quite liked Roz; she had a habit of getting nakey. In the case of chucking Locke out the window, if it turns out that no-one indeed had an idea what to do with him, I think his disappointing death by Hodor was probably for the best.

Edited by The Killer Snark