How would you rate episode 405?

Ran

How would you rate episode 405?  

576 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 10. I love how the scenes are flowing much better this season. A couple of seasons ago it was a bit choppy.

I guess the one drawback was how small the dire wolf looked when Jon crouched down to great it. They were looking huge in previous episodes.

As an "unsullied" I would have to tell the book readers to not worry about us so much. The story is flowing very well. I thought the Cersei and Margaery scene was great as it would have to be such an awkward conversation between the two, with M trying to avoid any break in decorum under threat of death and C just wanting to do away with the pleasantries and slap her. Cersei was an A+ in this episode.

The bad-

Cersei's newfound ability to be nice to her enemies (Margaery especially). Where did she learn that sudden politeness?

The Wall-having read the books, it removed the tension of those scenes. I'm sure the Unsullied would find those scenes more exciting because of the suspense.

Arya water dancing. Painful to watch.

I usually love Daenerys, but the acting was off. Her scene felt melodramatic, like we were watching a soap opera.

The good-

Lysa. All the Unsullied I know immediately recognized her, which was great considering the last time she appeared was season 1. Everything at the Vale was great and I liked everyone's acting.

The Hound and all his dialogue.

So far my ratings have been 9, 10, 9, 8, and now 7.

Cersei's newfound ability to be nice to her enemies (Margaery especially). Where did she learn that sudden politeness?

I have seen this criticism a lot.

Especially in Cersei and Marge's exchange.

To me both sound like crafty Machiavellians , subtly disingenuous.

Politeness only a veneer.

Same with Cersei's other exchanges.

Edited by boojam

7/10 Good episode, but nothing really big happened.

My only complains are all small ones, like Rast death (I know all the CGI budget goes to the dragons, but we deserved to see some direwolf badassery) or Dany scene feels to rushed again, like they could have explain her reason to stay a bit better, and how the hell the news of Joff's death arrive so fast LOL

Joff's death news would spread really fast. I'm sure that was realistic. Agreed, Rast deserved to die better than in a blur of fur. At least show a limb getting bitten off! Considering this is the most popular show on earth at the moment, you'd think they'd have a bigger CGI budget. I sincerely hope this is pointing to them having a ridiculous amount of CGI medieval battling in the second half of the season.

Sandor Clegane's developing Tourets syndrome. He should be renamed Sandor Fucking Clegane. Still his point about armor and big swords was entertaining.

I thought the episode was good. I don't know why there are so many complaints. For a non-book reader, the reveal about Jon Arryn must have been pretty sensational - finally realizing how dangerous Littlefinger is and how the Lannisters aren't quite as evil as everyone thinks.

Seeing Hodor Unchained was definitely awesome! I just wish they'd have had him let off a HODOR roar in a fit of barely contained rage as he snapped through Locke's neck. I'm also still waiting on Bran to warg into Hodor and then start talking normally. That'd be trippy.

Though my score is about the same, this ep it was better than the last two because it didn't have absolutely let down/WTF scenes.

I'm happy the Craster-ol'-house arc was wrapped tidily. Nevertheless it was superfluous and predictable.

The scenes in the Vale gave the feeling of GoT returning to business. Lysa was great, though with nitpicking on the way Sansa is supposedly in incognito. "Sweetrobin, this is your cousin Sansa but when we're not alone don't call her that." - sounds a solid plan to only mention the name the kid should not use and not the name he should use. The Jon Arryn reveal was underwhelming... it should have had a dramatic music cue: tan tan taaaan! ;P

Brienne/Pod cheesy writing. Oh look, Brienne can't untie a strap...

Last week I liked Jaime's téte á téte scenes. This week, Cersei was doing the rounds. Her tone was unclear, I wouldn't expect her to pity herself around strangers, even if it's to butter up the judges. I thought it the wrong way to do it; admitting to Marge that Joffrey was a monster would actually make a judge more sympathetic toward the killer...

Couple of things:
- Why does Locke need to spy and learn the numbers, when Edd and Green, as former prisoners, should already know how many mutineers there are? Moreover, wouldn't they know if there were any hounds chained in the hut? Locke's risking too much here.

This. And I've never heard Craster or the NW having hounds in the first place.

Somebody wondered about LF and Sansa walking up the mountain instaed of mules and horses. I guess it's a budget and animal security thing, the less they're used the better.

It's a 7 for me. Crasters I thought was handled a little poorly - Bran's decisioning, the Snow fight. Hodors incredible healing skills; I liked much of the Vale but thought some things were a change for the poorer (niece v daughter, Robins relationship with LF)

I liked that Cersei was trying to play the game but was frankly see through in her efforts.

Better then last week!
I agree with a lot of people that the pacing this season has been noticeably better!

Cersei making the rounds on the judges was good; I like that she is trying to manipulate them but just getting worked over herself. Margery pissing her off with the "mother" comment, Tywin securing her participation in her marriage to Loras, Oberyn reminding her of Dorne's hold on her daughter. All good stuff and placed well throughout the episode. I just wish we could get some dialogue from Mace Tyrell! Maybe they're saving him for comic relief next episode at the trial.

Arya & The Hound stuff was good once again. The Hound's face/reaction when Arya stabbed him and he realized she really tried to gut him was great! He made her rethink her training and what makes the strongest warriors. I hope their split is coming soon though; very eager to see how it plays out in the show and their discourse is just starting to get a bit old.

The Vale scenes stole the episode. Beautiful entrance shot at the bloody gate and the character dynamic between Lysa, Petyr and Sansa is super uncomfortable and unnerving. The true reveal of John Arynn's death was fine to me, I'm not sure how they could have done it any better. A very awkward re-introduction to the Vale gave it the right vibe considering where we're heading. Very good adaption from the books.

Brienne and Pod stuff was a bit cheese balls but necessary I suppose. I liked their dialogue. Brienne understands Podrick better now and has some respect for him after learning about the Blackwater. If their relationship evolves into more of a badass duo rather then a comic relief one I will be one happy Grumpkin. Like Arya and The Hound minus the one-liners and added mutual respect. Ok..maybe a few one-liners. Weakest part of the episode for me, but that's not saying much.

Alright! The Craster's scene! Predictable as it was, I'm glad they did it that way and didn't fuck around with the story that bad. Locke's death was great! Certainly taking away some of the predictability of Bran's escape without contacting Jon. Loved the thought provoking foreshadowing with Jojen and Bran pre raid.

Two things that confused me:
1. I forgot the Ghost was locked up!? When did that happen?
2. How did Longclaw not swipe through those knives? Jon was just kicking major ass outside when Bran was spying him.

I get that Jon "doesn't fight dirty" like Karl does, but come one, he must have picked up a trick or two with his time with the Wildlings. I dislike that Jon would have died had one of Craster's wives not been their for a good stabbing.

I gave it an 8.

I gave it a 8, pretty solid episode. It had a bit of everything, Action, Character bldg., & lots of foundation laying for the rest of the season. I do wish that we were able to see the Wolf brother's ( Ghost & Summer) reunion. That would have been nice, they hadn't see each other since they were puppies.. I can't believe that we 5 shows away from waiting another year this show to come back. They really need to up the budget & season for this show. Hell, other shows who don't have the Ratings of GOT or the acclaim get longer seasons.

So many plot holes in this episode!

Why did Jon leave without finding Rast? Wasn't the purpose of the whole mission to prevent any mutineers from talking to the wildlings, not to mention to avenge the old commander's death?

Rast killed the old guy, and Jon doesn't know Ghost killed him. So his mission should have been considered a failure!

Why didn't Locke just kill everyone while he had the chance? Or did he plan on carrying Bran to the wall? If he was trying to interrogate Bran, he should have done it while he was tied up!

Why isn't Dany worried about where her dragons are?

Little Finger telling Lysa to kill her husband and then telling Cat was totally unexpected. It doesn't make sense, since Jon's investigatino of incest is now a coincidence. Unless Cersei told Little Finger to kill Jon, but why would LF tell Lysa to tell Cat? Cersei ordering LF to kill Jon seems like the best explanation I think.

Maybe Lysa didnt help Cat with Robb's war because Lysa was still jealous of Cat?

Also, why did Arya stab the Hound? Did she really want to kill him? Why did the Hound let her stab him? A pointy thing can still hurt you through bendy armour, maybe not plate mail. Why doesn't she just kill Hound next time they sleep? If I were Hound, I would tie her up just in case!

Why did Jon leave without finding Rast? Wasn't the purpose of the whole mission to prevent any mutineers from talking to the wildlings, not to mention to avenge the old commander's death?

Rast killed the old guy, and Jon doesn't know Ghost killed him. So his mission should have been considered a failure!

Why didn't Locke just kill everyone while he had the chance? Or did he plan on carrying Bran to the wall? If he was trying to interrogate Bran, he should have done it while he was tied up!

Little Finger telling Lysa to kill her husband and then telling Cat was totally unexpected. It doesn't make sense, since Jon's investigatino of incest is now a coincidence. Unless Cersei told Little Finger to kill Jon, but why would LF tell Lysa to tell Cat? Cersei ordering LF to kill Jon seems like the best explanation I think.

Maybe Lysa didnt help Cat with Robb's war because Lysa was still jealous of Cat?

Also, why did Arya stab the Hound? Did she really want to kill him? Why did the Hound let her stab him? A pointy thing can still hurt you through bendy armour, maybe not plate mail. Why doesn't she just kill Hound next time they sleep? If I were Hound, I would tie her up just in case!

Not a book reader, eh?

With regards to Jon not knowing about Rast, it's implied that he knows. It's a technique often used in film making.

I have no idea what Locke was going to do with Bran, but you don't really need to tie up a cripple. Also Rickon is still alive, and maybe Locke was going to ask Bran about that.

As to the rest, especially LF and Lysa, I suggest you read the books. LF is quite the clever fellow.

Interesting , over at IMDB:

3003 votes:

Arithmetic mean = 8.8. Median = 9

Over at Rotten Tomatoes ~40 critics on balance reviews give it a 'rating' of 10.

At least all these reviews give , in most cases, an analysis, in some cases an extensive analysis.

After watching the episode again, not clear , to me, why it worked out to be 1 point less than I estimate it at.

I had given it a 10 but after reading this week's reactions I might subtract a point, but don't agree with the faults I have seen posted, so a puzzle as to why it did't wind up with a 9 or at minimum an average at 8.

Oddly scored episode.

O yes, for a lengthy review someone who is a reader Myles McNutt at Cultural Learnings is always a good read:

http://cultural-learnings.com/category/game-of-thrones/

Edited by boojam

Locke wasn't tasked to kill everyone, or anyone. Neither Ramsay nor Aroose wanted Theon dead yet either. I can't recall if he was supposed to kill all Starks himself but he couldn't very well kill either Bran or Jon right there. If he killed them he would have had to kill all the rangers and the guys at Crasters and find someway to escape south or live north. And he didn't know where Rickon was.

The dragons are where she put them.

Arya's tried and failed to kill him many times. Pretty sure she wasn't too surprised he was ready for her.

Oh another thing, if Bran was able to warg into Hodor, why didn't he do it sooner? He could have saved them all! There were times where no one was guarding them, as Locke found out.

Poor Locke, he was a good fellow. :(

It's hard. Books.