[Book Spoilers] EP405 Discussion

Ran

Meh. Underwhelmed by this episode. The Vale scenes were the best part, with cray cray Lysa and Sweetrobin, mention of Brandon Stark, and Sansa's face at the end. I love Oberyn. I don't like the Bran deviation at all. I guess now show watchers can begin to share in the misery that is Dany lollygagging in Slavers Bay. Also a big WTF on Cersei being all chummy with Marge.

Well they dun goofed with the statement that Casterly Rock is broke. The books suggest that while the Crown is in debt, the Lannisters were still in the black and unwilling to go into their own coffers for the Crown's debt...

The Lannisters are secretly BROKE????? How does that make any sense?

The Westerlings are a house almost as old or as old as the Lannister's and their mines went dry.

The Lannister's active wealth(from inheritances, taxes, and investments) has been loaned out to the kingdom. If they don't get payed back, they're *****.

Edited by TheNinjaDC

. . . with the exception of Jorah's banishment.

They will definitely waste an entire episode on that simply to kill time.

and you know which one it will be but i suppose you don't want that, right?

Actually, my own preference would be for him to disappear for episodes at a time. Better that than invented scenes that do not really work,

Well, Tyrion's going to be really surprised if he has to end up actually paying Brown Ben and the Second Sons.

Think of how many people got annoyed at Brienne's chapters in AFFC. The reader knew where Sansa was, so following Brienne around seemed pointless.

Aren't we now doing that very same thing with Tyrion? He'll move heaven and earth to become Lord of Casterly Rock while we roll our eyes knowing its broke as shit

Edited by Stannis-the-Mannis

I gotta say I feel bad for Hodor. I wish they could have escaped without Bran warging Hodor. Hodor with Locke's blood on his hand made me very sad for Hodor. That really was a violation of Hodor as a person, and it was so different from Bran accidentally warging him to calm him down at Queenscrown. :(

Besides Arya doing something with Needle, outside of poking things, other highlights unclude:

Brienne and Pod are my favorite odd couple in the book. Glad to see that's translating well to the show. Pod's been way too bland up until now, so I'm excited to see some of his character injected into the show, finally.

And, of course, crazy ass Lysa. I was not expecting them to reveal the master plan in this episode, though. I was betting on that happening in the season finale. This happening here felt like odd placement. I wonder if people are even going to feel the full impact of what the reveal means. It doesn't feel like a scene people will be talking about tomorrow.

Well they dun goofed with the statement that Casterly Rock is broke. The books suggest that while the Crown is in debt, the Lannisters were still in the black and unwilling to go into their own coffers for the Crown's debt...

ok, glad someone else is saying this. so is this a spoiler for what is really going on with the lannister mines? someone posted up thread that this is similar to the quarthian vault being empty. i wonder if that is indeed the case.

I gotta say I feel bad for Hodor. I wish they could have escaped without Bran warging Hodor. Hodor with Locke's blood on his hand made me very sad for Hodor. That really was a violation of Hodor as a person, and it was so different from Bran accidentally warging him to calm him down at Queenscrown. :(

Yeah it reminds me of how it's described in the books where Hodor "curls up and hides" in a corner of his brain when Bran enters

THIS. Cersei is a moron possessed of a certain low cunning. D and D softening her up hasn't done much for the character lately.

Show-Cersei is an ill-used long-suffering mother whose only crimes were the incest with brother Jaime, spoiling Joffrey, and killing Sansa's wolf. Not much resemblance to book-Cersei, who I find more interesting.

Besides Arya doing something with Needle, outside of poking things, other highlights unclude:

Brienne and Pod are my favorite odd couple in the book. Glad to see that's translating well to the show. Pod's been way too bland up until now, so I'm excited to see some of his character injected into the show, finally.

And, of course, crazy ass Lysa. I was not expecting them to reveal the master plan in this episode, though. I was betting on that happening in the season finale. This happening here felt like odd placement. I wonder if people are even going to feel the full impact of what the reveal means. It doesn't feel like a scene people will be talking about tomorrow.

I have a feeling all of the scenes have been overshadowed by a sword through the face.

Think of how many people got annoyed at Brienne's chapters in AFFC. The reader knew where Sansa was, so following Brienne around seemed pointless.

Aren't we now doing that very same thing with Tyrion? He'll move heaven and earth to become Lord of Casterly Rock while we roll our eyes knowing its broke as shit

That's another change btw. Brienne is heading to the Wall. Why not just take a boat to Eastwatch?