[Book Spoilers] EP405 Discussion

Ran

You juster layered her.. " woe is me" marred to a brute. I should have been married to Jamie or if not at least to R! My son is sick son of a bitch, how will I control him? My father sends an imp and he takes my power, or tries too, my son doesn't listen to me he takes my power, my father and Jamie come back and take the last visage of power I have, my sex. One by forcing me on a homosexual. The other by being a lamed man who doesn't complete me anymore and rapes me on my sons death altar.

So what is a mother to do???

Well first I need to get rid of the imp. I need those judges to give me that imp's head! Oh I'll play nice to be them and stroke them, and mold them into my executioners. Because I know that if the imp is left to defend himself he'll slip out of the noose!

Seems to me she isn't so one noted as you stated. But lets face the facts George doesn't give Cersi any love, well maybe a little. He did give her that awesome walk of shame.

Listing the ways she's been controlled by men doesn't make her complex. Its the same concept applied, just applied differently.

Having Cersei gain sympathy from the audience by being raped and abused by the men in her life over and over again is cheap. Its a simple and overused way to humanize female villains.

Edited by Ser Marlo the Black

Liked:

- Wait... Did we just go through a whole episode without any boobs? Is the world ending?

- The scene with Sophie listening to Lysa's screams. lol.

- Sweet Robin tossing Lord Petyr's gift.

- Revelation about Cleon and the Masters

- Jojen's prophesizing

- Ghost :wub:

- Lysa implying that Cat was fat.

- Cersei's comeback to Oberyn: "Everywhere in the world they hurt little girls." Check your privilege Oberyn!

Didn't like:

- The Bran, Meera, and Jojen at Craster's Keep plot. At least it's over. I would have rather seen them struggling against winter and starvation.

- Meera's almost-rape: "Wait, there's a female character we haven't sexualized or threatened with rape? I guess we'd better fix that."

- The early reveal about Jon Arryn's poisoning. This new placement really takes away from the importance of that information.

- The Saint Tyrion distortion field still affecting Sansa. Her defense of him was a bit much. Also, toss that ring.

Check your privilege Oberyn!

Why did you just type that?

Uhg...

seems like next episode the small counsel learns of dany's conquest. must be through jorah... this should be the set up of the betrayal and exile. might be fun.

Yes it should. Im on bated breath waiting for the Jorah bomb to hit. Should be nice and awkward.

- The Saint Tyrion distortion field still affecting Sansa. Her defense of him was a bit much. Also, toss that ring.

Yup.

Book Sansa, when asked about being made to marry Tyrion: "They made me marry him. I never wanted it."

TV Sansa, when asked pretty much the same question: "They did. They made us both. Lord Tyrion didn't want to."

What is she still doing with that ring? It wouldn't bother me so much were it not for the extended closeups on her hands in the Lysa/Sansa scene. She was even wearing the ring in bed when she was trying to ignore Lysa's screams. Maybe the ring will be gone in the next episode with no explanation and that will be that, but I don't get why Sansa hasn't ditched the ring already, and I really don't get why she wouldn't have ditched it the moment she adopted the Alayne identity.

Edited by Newstar

They will likely have Lysa give her something to wear so she can fully change out of that stuff.

In the preview images we've seen of later episodes she's still wearing KL clothes (a different dress, in fact, then the one she has now, making that at least two dresses she still has apart from the one she was wearing when she escaped). Not sure about the ring.

Edited by Colonel Green

What is she still doing with that ring? It wouldn't bother me so much were it not for the extended closeups on her hands in the Lysa/Sansa scene. She was even wearing the ring in bed when she was trying to ignore Lysa's screams. Maybe the ring will be gone in the next episode with no explanation and that will be that, but I don't get why Sansa hasn't ditched the ring already, and I really don't get why she wouldn't have ditched it the moment she adopted the Alayne identity.

Yup. I think someone else mentioned it, but it would have been nice to have a few seconds of Petyr explaining her new identity. It would have been natural to have her take off the ring then.

Greyness does not make a character interesting. This notion that for a story to be entertaining the heroes and villains must be nigh indistinguishable is simply wrong.

Cersei in the show is not multiply layered. She is very much one note from the first season onwards. "Woe is I. Marred to a brute, mother to a psychopath. Men take all my power."

Really? I thought that the hardest part of the battle between good and evil was to find who is which? Isin't the greyness the damn point of why this series is so well liked? Many people complain about Tyrion being white-washed, but when Cercei is made into something else than an Evil Queen straight out of a fairy tale (complete with Snow-White like prophecies about a younger and more beautiful queen) then she's suddendly not interesting? I just don't understand.

And Cercei in the show is hardly an angel. She's not supporting of Joff being a complete psycho, but she was still horrible to Tyrion and Sansa, as well as a ''villain'' by default for being against the Starks in the eyes of many, and several characters blast her for not being very smart. Hell, the very fact that she has conflicting opinions about her son (knows he was a cunt, still loved him) adds more layer than in the books where she seemed to live in a completely alternate reality where he was Jaehaerys I reborn.

Yup. I think someone else mentioned it, but it would have been nice to have a few seconds of Petyr explaining her new identity. It would have been natural to have her take off the ring then.

I could have bought her keeping the ring out of habit until Petyr explained her new identity, but after, when she's already supposedly masquerading as Alayne? Makes no sense.

I was really frackin' drunk but I'm pretty sure I would've enjoyed it a lot if sober.

- Cersei! I like the layers. A lot. Lena Headey does amazing things. Too often characters in rough situations become "stronger" for it, a la Dowager Sophia von Habsburg. Like the hardass Dowager, some become scary for it. Cerse is unique in terms of character; it's not a tragic backstory that giving her viciousness a softer light (though certainly more context). It's also her current situation combined with her having some unsavory traits to begin with. It's like she's the grand sum of utterly wasted potential--not someone who failed at being a Machiavellian villainess, but someone who was never trained to be as such even though they possessed the raw aptitude. You wouldn't fault 6-year-old Jaime for not defeating Gregor in a swordfight when he was new to sword fighting. Cersei's always had the dregs. And that makes her very cranky. Gah I feel so sorry for her, but only because we're separated by a TV screen. At the same time...she's a coldhearted bitch. Love her, but no apologizing.

- Tommen. Precious little bb boy needs some hugs and kittens.

- Margaery and Cersei. I compare their “getting along” to Mark Lawrence’s apt description two wildcats who’ve put their aggression aside for the moment. Cersei’s beaten down and regrouping, Margaery’s on cruise control until she re-establishes her lay of the land.

- Tywin. Is it just me or does he look a bit tired?

- Jon Snow. I GET IT. Fangirls, I get it. Fuckin' Jon went from a 6 to a 9 when he was drenched in blood, a bit cut up, and dropping the faux-hoarseness.

- LYSA!!! Her warmth balanced precariously with her crazy. So so so good!! Her scene with Sansa. Holy shit. It’s like how no one can make you weep like relatives. I adore everything about her performance.

- Sweet Robin. I was a bit perplexed at Uncle Baelish WEEEE! But, it’ll probably cast ambiguity on whose kid he is, which could be an interesting angle if Littlefinger’s clearly views him as nothing more than a meal ticket.

- Oh hey Dany. Even on a giggly vodka tear I was scoffing at her Slaver's Bay project crumbling around her. I can't help it. Daario's "I heard you liked ships" should be a new fan slogan.

- Bran/Brandor - whoa shit got real! I did NOT expect Brandor to strangle Locke. JFC. AWESOMESAUCE! At least Locke got some fun bits beforehand. Ye shall be missed. Poor ol' bear.

- Jojen - reminding me of a Feist book I read in my youth, Shards of a Broken Crown. Will not attempt to explain the reference suffice it to say one of my happy buttons is sick/wounded people rising to the badass occasion.

- Arya. Erm...going back and forth on the Hound cracking her in the face. I loved her sword not actually going through his armor. I KNOW he's a not a nice guy. But, he's never struck her, never struck Sansa. It kinda tweaked me. Then it didn't, 'cause I saw it as him giving her a relatively light (for him) smack to warn her how the next marauder she tries that on will probably break her jaw. Then I got confused again. I dunno. I didn't dislike it, I was just...ehhm....I dunno. Probably won't care in a week but I'm all swathed in feels.

Edited by PhoenixFlame