[Book Spoilers] EP405 Discussion

Ran

If I remeber correctly he was just about to stap Gregor in the eye with his own sword. I doubt he really thought he would get a confession since he was moments from making the kill. He underestimated Gregor's strength. The only way he coulda won was if he used instant poison, once in range of Gregor's sword or hands (even crippled and speared to the ground) anyone would be dead

Yes in close combat. The point is if Oberyn were only concerned with killing Gregor and not drawing a confession he could've finished him off without ever needing to get as close as he eventually did.

Im really interested to see D&D's interpretation of it...i've been reading up on Hafthor, he's so frking huge! definitely interested to see how he moves...fluid and graceful for his size or awkward and slow..ep 7 is probably when we'll get to see him chop a man in half!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9QtHgEoxDfY/Ukkf0v1PhLI/AAAAAAAApZk/ovS-mG8i-xk/s1600/got-season4-pic1.jpg

Interesting stuff! I QUITE liked this episode. I was on the edge of my seat wondering if Bran and Jon's paths were going to cross. (After the reveal in S4E04 who knows who far B&B will deviate from the books!)

Did anyone notice Cersei say she has been Queen for 19 years? That's a heck of a long time! And also remember Joffrey saying that his "uncle Jaime"

is a washed-up 40-year old? Well, Jaime and Cersei are twins so Cersei is also 40.

But I thought Cersei was a teen bride? There's some numbers that do not sem to be adding up there.

Also, what was up with Ser Jorah saying that they had been fighting "Joffrey's wars fo years" in Westeros? How long, exactly was King Joffrey's reign?

And whats up with crowning King Tommen when that has yet to officially happen in the books? I, myself, am looking forward to seeing the rise

to power of the High Septon and Cersei being hoist on her own petard.

Charles Dance needs an Emmy!

That is all.

In the books, Cersei and Jaime were 17 when he killed Aerys and 17 or maybe just turned 18 at the time of her marriage. In the show, they were probably a couple of years older. I don't believe the show mentions how young Jaime was when he killed the king.

I don't think that Joff reigned for more than 1.5 years. His 13th name day is the day that Tyrion returned to KL--no more than a few months after Robert's death and he's still 13 when he died. Also, Sansa goes from 11 when Robert visits winterfell to 12 when she has her first moon's blood to 13 when Joff died. That suggests 1 to 1.5 years of Joff's reign.

Just a thought that is with me now. Did Dany have ships at this point in the books, if so then forgive me and don't trash me too badly? I want to think she didn't, but now has 93 of them, which is a pretty healthy amount.

The real question I have is, could they now cut Victarion since she already has a decent sized fleet? Could they just cut the entire dragon binding horn and red priest? I hope not but you never know.

Just a thought that is with me now. Did Dany have ships at this point in the books, if so then forgive me and don't trash me too badly? I want to think she didn't, but now has 93 of them, which is a pretty healthy amount.

The real question I have is, could they now cut Victarion since she already has a decent sized fleet? Could they just cut the entire dragon binding horn and red priest? I hope not but you never know.

I think Dany picked up a few ships in Astapor (unless Drogon got carried away and torched them too :) ) but it wasn't enough to carry an invasion force to Westeros. Shortly after that she settles in to Slaver's Bay and acquisition of a Navy/Invading Westeros goes on her back burner. So no.

Daario did say he commandeered the Volantis fleet, which is the one showing up to blockade her in ADWD. I suppose in the show they'll join the coalition against her to get her fleet back. In this light it makes sense for Dany to be upset with Daario acting without her order, since he has made her another enemy by doing so, even if she didn't say this.

Still plenty of time for her to lose this fleet/have it burned down in the harbor. Maybe that'll be part of the resistance/terrorism the Sons Of The Harpy inflict on her.

In other words, yeah the possibility of them cutting Vic did cross my mind too but really it's too soon to tell. If they plan to include him Daario's insta-navy won't stop them from doing so. If they don't plan on it, they don't plan on it. [Of course, they also gave Vic's other important feature -- the fire hand -- to somebody else this week, so maybe he is cut :D]

I always pictured it as being about 2 years for the first two books, an 1.5-2 years for the 3rd. So Joffrey would've rained about 3 years in my opinion. The children did age quite a bit, just look at bran and arya, they changed alot from season 1-4

Well in the wiki they say that Joffrey's reign is from 298 to 300. He was to be married the 1st day of the century. Also we only get one of Joffrey's name-days in the books. His 13th. You'd think that a King's name-day would be celebrated and mentioned. A tourney would me made or something. So he's reign is barely a year: from 298 to 299 because he died on the first day of the 300. So you wouldn't say has been in war for years with one year and a bit..

Well in the wiki they say that Joffrey's reign is from 298 to 300. He was to be married the 1st day of the century. Also we only get one of Joffrey's name-days in the books. His 13th. You'd think that a King's name-day would be celebrated and mentioned. A tourney would me made or something. So he's reign is barely a year: from 298 to 299 because he died on the first day of the 300. So you wouldn't say has been in war for years with one year and a bit..

In the books, the timeline is indeed 2-3 years (including Dany's first chapter or so, which iirc is before the Bran POV that kicks us off). A Dance with Dragons ends midway through 300 AC I think

In the books, the timeline is indeed 2-3 years (including Dany's first chapter or so, which iirc is before the Bran POV that kicks us off). A Dance with Dragons ends midway through 300 AC I think

So that would mean Joffrey's reign lasted half of that or less wouldn't it?

So that would mean Joffrey's reign lasted half of that or less wouldn't it?

The Red Comet appears in 298 AC, shortly after Robert's death. Joffrey died on the first day of the new Century (300 AC). Obviously we don't know things down to the month, but Joffrey's reign would be about 1.5 years or so, yes, Joffrey reigned for approximately half the span of the novels

Jaime thinks when he arrives at Raventree that the Red Wedding was six months earlier, so yeah, about halfway through the year.

In the books, Cersei and Jaime were 17 when he killed Aerys and 17 or maybe just turned 18 at the time of her marriage. In the show, they were probably a couple of years older. I don't believe the show mentions how young Jaime was when he killed the king.

Tyrion said in 2x08 that Cersei became queen at the age of 19. In 1x05 Cersei stated that "17 years" was "quite a long time" for hate to hold their marriage together. And as of 4x01 Cersei and Jaime are both 40 years old, even though Sansa's only managed to age less than two years between 1x01 (when she gave her age as 13) and 3x08 (when she gave her age as 14). I also remember Dany stating in 3x08 "a year ago I had no dragons," implying that less than a year has passed in her storyline between 1x10 and 3x08.

TLDR, the show timeline is all over the place...but then we knew that.

Edited by Newstar

Show stealer definately crazy Lysa, will we see a snow castle soon?

She was good. The life of the party. I don't want her to die now. I am betting against the snow castle. They will make up some dialogue.

Edited by Le Cygne

Im really interested to see D&D's interpretation of it...i've been reading up on Hafthor, he's so frking huge! definitely interested to see how he moves...fluid and graceful for his size or awkward and slow..ep 7 is probably when we'll get to see him chop a man in half!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9QtHgEoxDfY/Ukkf0v1PhLI/AAAAAAAApZk/ovS-mG8i-xk/s1600/got-season4-pic1.jpg

I met him here in Melbourne at the FitX bodybuilding expo this year.

He is INSANE in person. Im personally 6'4" and he made me look like a dwarf.

He is quite athletic for a large man, how that translates to a man in armor is a different story though. Im pumped to see him and I am honestly shocked we havent been introduced to the Mountain yet seeing as his fight is what Episode 8 and this week is 6...

Loud and clear. But so many book readers here were too busy looking for "whitewashing/character assassination" opportunities so they could get their hate on towards the show some more, and clearly missed it.

I also think Tywin was (mostly) lying to Cersei, because he knows she's working him, so he worked her right back, that way she wouldn't fight him anymore about marrying Loras.

As far as the biggest OMFG moment of the episode for my unsullied friends who I watch with, was Lysa/LF being behind Jon Arryn's murder. Got to hand it to them, they pay attention.

Loved that Ghost ate Rast's face off. Loved Jon making Karl literally reverse eat his sword. Loved Bran warging Hodor, and killing Locke (giant cheer from our entire living room.) Loved Pod telling Brienne about how he killed a Kingsguard to save Tyrion at the Blackwater. (Burning bunny! YUM!) Loved Dany's self-awareness discovery. Loved Bran being given a wonderful grownup-decision about how he couldn't have a moment with Jon as much as he wanted to. Loved the Jon/Ghost reunion. Loved Arya and the Hound - every moment. Want the spinoff.

My wife got that also, she goes " wait didn't she tell Cat the Lannisters killed her husband?" I beamed :drunk:

What I liked about the Lysa Sansa second scene was Sansa saying her I'm a stupid girl with stupid dreams line, someone upthread was saying Sansa had a poor image of herself, but it was her outright lying to her aunt to extricate herself from that position I felt.