[Book Spoilers] EP405 Discussion

Ran

I'm old and bitter: How come, no "Nitpicking with Impunity" thread?

For me, it's getting to be there are so many nitpicks, it is easier to list the one or two things I like. I feel like I'm hanging in there to maybe see something I liked from the books, and once in a while I do.

No, I have also heard that she has shed some weight. I think she mentioned in some interview that she trains really hard and that she has become much more fit. I wouldn't call her looks "bony", just pretty athletic. Didn't she visit the forum once and was basically hounded out by the comments calling her pudgy or fat ...? i remember reading sth to that effect.

I'm old and bitter: How come, no "Nitpicking with Impunity" thread?

The venom spat in those threads...for once im pretty glad there isnt one.

For me, it's getting to be there are so many nitpicks, it is easier to list the one or two things I like. I feel like I'm hanging in there to maybe see something I liked from the books, and once in a while I do.

Yet you keep watching every single episode. >,> Why do you people do that to yourselves? Honestly.

someone upthread was saying Sansa had a poor image of herself, but it was her outright lying to her aunt to extricate herself from that position I felt.

Its both.

No, I have also heard that she has shed some weight. I think she mentioned in some interview that she trains really hard and that she has become much more fit. I wouldn't call her looks "bony", just pretty athletic. Didn't she visit the forum once and was basically hounded out by the comments calling her pudgy or fat ...? i remember reading sth to that effect.

She's probably prepping to become Sarah Connor, who, by all rights is an in-shape badass - not that she was out of shape before.

Beric & Thoros are in her prayer?

Why wouldn't they be? They kidnapped her on the road, which kept her from getting back to her family. That getting back wouldn't have been all that great for her is secondary. Then they didn't kill the Hound despite her testimony against him. And they took Gendry from her.

For some reason, Locke of all people is sent to scout Craster's Keep. The one guy on the mission who has never ever seen Craster's camp?!?! What the hell? He then super conveniently stumbles onto Team Bran and decides during the planned assault he is now going to kidnap Bran? To what end? He is going to take Bran south to the Boltons? Past Castle Black and rest of the Night's Watch? Even though, he was sent to kill off heirs?

It hurts my head....

Locke wanted to go and in fact had to sell the idea. I think it was to keep close to Jon who might know where Bran and Rickon were. He just got really lucky Bran was at Crasters.

Locke wanted to go and in fact had to sell the idea. I think it was to keep close to Jon who might know where Bran and Rickon were. He just got really lucky Bran was at Crasters.

Yes. As for the kidnapping of Bran, why wouldn't he? Bolton sent Locke to "hunt" for Bran and Rickon. I don't recall him saying to kill them. It fits in with the book Roose's MO by having a Stark to keep the north at bay. If he didn't need a live Stark then what was the whole fake Arya plot about? Having a live Bran and/or Rickon as hostages will keep the North from rallying behind someone else. Now about getting a crippled Bran over the wall, well maybe he hadn't thought that far ahead.

Edited by Wunhopkuendo

Didn't notice. She looked fine as hell in season 1.

Off to go watch the bath scene.

Im really interested to see D&D's interpretation of it...i've been reading up on Hafthor, he's so frking huge! definitely interested to see how he moves...fluid and graceful for his size or awkward and slow..ep 7 is probably when we'll get to see him chop a man in half!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9QtHgEoxDfY/Ukkf0v1PhLI/AAAAAAAApZk/ovS-mG8i-xk/s1600/got-season4-pic1.jpg

D'oh. I finally get what that pic is about. It's a prop being cut in half in mid-air.

A quick scan of the thread seems to suggest that no-one has picked up on the big piece of foreshadowing in this episode.

The Arya/Hound scene, where she is showing her water dancing skills. I picked up on the similarity between this and the Red Viper vs the Mountain, especially when he smacks her down at the end after she stabs him.

I just have to restate how in-conceived and poorly executed the entire Lock subplot was this season. I like the actor and his performance, but what a train wreck.

Let's recap. Locke is sent on an assassination mission to wipe out the remaining Stark heirs in the North. He miraculously moves from the Dreadfort to Castle Black in record time while the Wildling's mill about in the Reach eating and killing locals. He then ingratiates himself with Jon Snow, presumably to eventually kill him at an opportune moment. He, logically, then joins Jon's mission to kill the Night's Watch rapers at Craster's Keep.

For some reason, Locke of all people is sent to scout Craster's Keep. The one guy on the mission who has never ever seen Craster's camp?!?! What the hell? He then super conveniently stumbles onto Team Bran and decides during the planned assault he is now going to kidnap Bran? To what end? He is going to take Bran south to the Boltons? Past Castle Black and rest of the Night's Watch? Even though, he was sent to kill off heirs?

It hurts my head....

Locke was sent to kill Bran and Rickon. His whole plan was to get close to Snow to figure out if he knew where they were. He stumbled in on John and Sam talking about maybe Bran being at a Craster's Keep. So of course he volunteers for the mission. Thorne's whole goal is that anyone loyal to Lord Snow to die on the mission. So anyone who volunteered was assumed allied with John Snow. I think Locke knows he only has a short amount of time. He needs to get Bran out of there so he can interrogate him before he kills him. He needs to find out where Rickon has gone. I doubt he was thinking of taking a crippled boy back to Castle Black.

In the absence of a nitpick thread: Tywin's oh-so-dramatic talk about the Iron Bank wasn't great. It'd be better if they just lifted this passage from Jon's chapter.

Each of the Nine Free Cities had its bank, and some had more than one, fighting over every coin like dogs over a bone, but the Iron Bank was richer and more powerful than all the rest combined. When princes defaulted on their debts to lesser banks, ruined bankers sold their wives and children into slavery and opened their own veins. When princes failed to repay the Iron Bank, new princes sprang up from nowhere and took their thrones.

Or some variation of it.

Edited by The Drunkard