[Book Spoilers] EP405 Discussion

Ran

A ton of setup this episode. Pretty much everything was to setup future events; save for the Craster storyline. Next week should be amazing. Overall this episode was kinda meh. But that should be expected for this type of episode.

More like directly stating...I was rather alarmed

Yup. We really need to start a thread for the show spoiling the books, because this shit is getting out of control...in the best possible way as far as I'm concerned, but still.

...Also, maybe I'm desensitized, but what was the super-gory, disturbing death this episode the Director of Photography said they had to keep toning down? Locke's?

Edited by Newstar

Well Snow got his ass handed to him tbh

Fighting with a longsword in an enclosed place against someone with two daggers is pretty difficult. But Snow recovered in the end.

More like directly stating...I was rather alarmed

well yes, they clearly stated the lannisters are broke but what is the connection to the realm and the iron bank? there's nothing about that in the books, is there?

Yup. We really need to start a thread for the show spoiling the book, because this shit is getting out of control...in the best possible way as far as I'm concerned, but still.

That's not spoiling the book, though. We've got Lannister POVs, including Ser Kevan, who clearly know the state of their mining. They aren't short of funds.

Yup. We really need to start a thread for the show spoiling the books, because this shit is getting out of control...in the best possible way as far as I'm concerned, but still.

...Also, maybe I'm desensitized, but what was the super-gory, disturbing death this episode the Director of Photography said they had to keep toning down? Locke's?

Yeah, I think we were all bracing ourselves for it next season, and then this season started smacking us in the face with stuff. I don't mind myself, but it is interesting they're starting down that path so early. I'm taking this to mean that TWOW definitely won't be published before S5

he's due to meet bloodraven and the cotf this season, if i'm not mistaken.

They're obviously going into late ADwD/early TWoW territory next season because he meets BR in ep.10.

Problem is, they have exactly three chapters to cover until they catch up (one of them a meaningless travelogue) and fifteen episodes to do it in. Unless they plan on Bran being absent from the narrative multiple episodes at a time, they will either have to invent a whole lot of new material or draw heavily from his story in The Winds of Winter well ahead of the other characters.

Fighting with a longsword in an enclosed place against someone with two daggers is pretty difficult. But Snow recovered in the end.

Against sword and Dagger I would agree, but with a longsword against two daggers and no shield he should be able to hold him at a distance and get a few well placed thrusts in, but who cares really, it's only TV after all :P

was that fan theory?

is no one else interested in that tidbit? are they really implying that the realm is substantially funded directly by the lannisters and now they're broke?

Yes, it's been proposed several times that the Lannister mines are like that Quarth guys vault.

They are not poor, but their endless money pool dryed up and they survive as a bank of sorts and off Lannisport taxes.

As I recall there is also a bit in the Dance of Dragons war were a Lannister steals a big percentage of the realms wealth for "safe" keeping. That could be how they were holding on.