[Book Spoilers] EP405 Discussion

Ran

No. The stopping points are where it makes the most sense dramatically to end a season. It's not for the purpose of keeping behind the books.

I think it's PRIMARLY to keep it behind the books. The season finale's for this show tend to not be very dramatic. The most climactic episodes of the season tend to be one or two shows BEFORE the finale.

The conversations I've had with some Unsullied make me wonder if we're even watching the same show.

Get smarter friends.

Unsullied I know have trouble with names and relations but they keep track of the plots well enough. They seem like readers going through the series for the first time.

Yeah this. I know a few people who are unsullied but they rewatch, which is like rereading. They pick up on junk they missed and put the pieces together.

While Jon Arryn's killer is a big reveal in the books, it just doesn't seem all that important in the show at this point

The astute viewer is going to notice the impact and what it means as a part of Littlefinger's game.

Unsullied I know have trouble with names and relations but they keep track of the plots well enough. They seem like readers going through the series for the first time.

I don't mean to say that all unsullied can't keep track of the plot. I know that most of them are absolutely fine with everything. I'm just saying that some of them, especially with how suddenly that Lysa confession was thrown out there, probably had no idea what was happening and it's not like that's crazy to say.

Yes she was. That entire conversation was fishing. All of it. She was mostly aiming at Tommen, but dropping Joff in there to see Marg's reaction.

This is rubbish. My parents both made gasping, shocked noises at that. Yeah, even Dad. I really wish you people would give unsullied some freaking credit.

Yeah, I think a lot of people underestimate how much someone who hasn't read the books can 'understand' the show. I didn't read the books until after the first season of the show, and I wasn't lost when watching it. Some people may not follow it well, but many do- whether they've read the books or not.

I think I would have been fine with the Lannister gold mines revealed if they had used the war and Robb's raids as the reason their gold had run out.

Oh, I did like the mention of King Cleon the Butcher, of Astapor. I always kind of dug the idea of that character.

The worse thing is that GRRM will likely resurrect Jon. I have always felt that the resurrections permanently diminished the series. When Ned died it was like BAM the main character can die and really be dead and no silly fantasy resurrection, then GRRM blew it and made it commonplace.

I liked the resurrection of Donderion, because he was such a minor character and the whole thing seemed so creepy, sad, and bizarre. Didn't like Catelyn being resurrected at all-- it felt cheap somehow, I agree.

it was obviously a polite "fuck you" but also a fuck up from margaery imo. it wasnt exactly very subtle.........

Cersei has made her stance on Margaery perfectly clear before that point. There's really nothing to be lost in jabbing her.

also i don't think their white washing cersei, she's just trying to get people on her side against tyrion

I think that is obvious too, she's telling people things to make them feel for her and be on her side against Tyrion. I sort of wish they had done a little more to show her resistance to wanting to marry Loras, however.

I think I would have been fine with the Lannister gold mines revealed if they had used the war and Robb's raids as the reason their gold had run out.

Oh, I did like the mention of King Cleon the Butcher, of Astapor. I always kind of dug the idea of that character.

Cleon...yes. The viewership's opinion on Dany begins to change...i love it!

*bounces* i love it so much. (my father's almost disgruntled sound at her statement of staying really drove it all home.)

In this episode, we also got TV Arya's complete revenge list:

Joffrey

Cersei

Walder Frey

Meryn Trant

Tywin Lannister

The red woman (Melisandre)

Beric Dondarrion

Thoros of Myr

Ilyn Payne

The Mountain

The Hound

Edited by Newstar

I think it's PRIMARLY to keep it behind the books. The season finale's for this show tend to not be very dramatic. The most climactic episodes of the season tend to be one or two shows BEFORE the finale.

Why would they care about keeping the show behind the books when they have the rights to the story? They aren't on GRRM's schedule, nor should they be. They aren't padding the story to make it last longer, they are moving things around and adding in bits to make sure that all of the characters get the necessary screen time and don't end up disappearing for an entire season.

The season finale's for this show tend to not be very dramatic. The most climactic episodes of the season tend to be one or two shows BEFORE the finale.

What does that have to do with anything?

Each character's story has to have a seasonal arc, and they have to try and keep all the characters roughly in sync. Some characters went through most of their book 3 material last season, but still have good stopping points at the end of that book, so they have to have their remaining material spread out. Others are into the later books, or have so little material that stuff has to be invented to keep the stories loosely in sync.

Gonna miss Burn Gorman. Such a tremendous performance tucked into even an ultimately minor role.

Still, he's cleared away at just the right time: Iwan Rheon is back in action as Ramsay next week to keep the villain flag flying strong and [*sigh* one last time] THE FOOKING LEGEND OF GIN ALLEY was a more than suitable filler of the gap.

I think the primary reason for them having the Lannister mines run dry is to once again make the Iron Bank of Braavos prominent. But I can't tell what they're trying to set up with this. There have been so many mentions of the bank so far this season. I mean what are they planning to do, make the faceless men agents of the Bank or something?

The whole plot line of Bran being there, unknown to Jon, was reminiscent of a soap opera. The Days of our Game of Thrones Lives.

I assume that Jojen's burning hand had absolutely nothing to do with R'hllor, but a vision only he saw, of the way he was going to die.

After reading the prologue of got again today, I am leaning toward the opinion that the resurrection done by Mel and the Others have to be connected, so as much as I hate Stoneheart and Beric, they might be important foreshadowing for the end game. Jon has two options to live on, warming or Mel.