[Book Spoilers] EP405 Discussion

Ran

So the Lanisters are broke? This was added for the series correct?

Maybe, maybe not. We've never seen Casterly Rock or its mines.

So the mines very well might be dry, and the Lannister's are coasting off of taxes and investments (like their massive loan to the throne).

If they get payed back with interest, they will be rich again.

However, if they are forced to write off their debts as reparations.... well, their are ****ed, and will take decades to recover.

I think so. In the books the Lannisters are wealthy and have loaned a lot to the Crown but seem to have a problem forgiving that debt even though they ARE the crown. A little accounting shenanigans that even the threat of the Iron Bank can't seem to decode

They don't want to forgive the debt because it would weaken House Lannister as a separate entity. Kevan thinks near the end of his chapter that it may be necessary to do so anyway.

Hello forum. New poster here. Maidenhead voyage, may the gods protect me. This episode felt exceedingly lame to me. Lame for Sullied and Unsullied alike. I suppose Lady Lysa wins for most compelling character, but she seems to have graduated from the same Supervillain Finishing School as Littlefinger. Riverrun surely had a varied curriculum in Lord Hoster's day, and apparently a Fat Camp for teenaged Cat. The other usually engaging and often layered story lines felt trite and inconsequential this week, and didn't offer any of the historical world-building or effective table-setting that these sort of midseason transitional episodes are typical of.

Arya misses Syrio, the Hound tells her he died because he lacked armor and a big sword ( side note: Try to analyze the text, Sandor, and not make assumptions based on emotion! So frustrating!). Cersei misses her daughter and has commissioned a ship as a birthday present; she tells Oberyn that his House has been listed as the shipping address, please send a confirmation raven back when it arrives. Locke and Karl, HBO employees only, now their watch is ended and neither with any consequence to the season, unless either or both of Hodor, Bran, or Jon's wounds mortify (which they never do for roster guys).

I missed a few interactions in between, none terribly important, but this isn't a recap, only one Bastard's reaction. The most redeeming part of this episode was that D&D didn't try to slip another scene of uncharted canon in at the conclusion to make up for all the Michelle McLaren-ness; I'm hoping one metaphorical middle finger to book readers will suffice for Season 4. Let's keep up the extended travelogues, invented small talk between major characters, and drawn-out reveals when actually adhering to the terrific source material. Now who's playing Nimble Dick?

They don't want to forgive the debt because it would weaken House Lannister as a separate entity. Kevan thinks near the end of his chapter that it may be necessary to do so anyway.

He's thinking of using his individual money to essentially pay off the interest rates/minimum payment to keep the IB from backstabing them.

Only Tywin knows the state of the Lannister's finances. Well, knew.

I do think a fraction of what Cersei says/does is genuine, but she recognizes it and so she plays it up to be manipulative.I "teehee!"d when Margaery made her "sister" comment and Cersei just sorta looked poker-faced. Either a poker-face or stabbing Marg with a brooch.

The Lannister's aren't broke on account of their lands/taxes, but given these gold mines seem to have been around for thousands of years, it's no surprise they're drying up. Tywin looked, for him, really tired.

Hello forum. New poster here. Maidenhead voyage, may the gods protect me. This episode felt exceedingly lame to me. Lame for Sullied and Unsullied alike. I suppose Lady Lysa wins for most compelling character, but she seems to have graduated from the same Supervillain Finishing School as Littlefinger. Riverrun surely had a varied curriculum in Lord Hoster's day, and apparently a Fat Camp for teenaged Cat. The other usually engaging and often layered story lines felt trite and inconsequential this week, and didn't offer any of the historical world-building or effective table-setting that these sort of midseason transitional episodes are typical of.

I really liked Lysa's portrayal. There were moments when she was warm to Sansa, but her mental instability was made very apparent in random things setting her off.

Edited by PhoenixFlame

One little thing that bothered me in this episode: Sansa licking her fingers when eating the lemon cakes. Even in the Middle Ages, licking one's fingers was considered bad table manners, and someone as exquisitely drilled in etiquette and courtesy as Sansa would never do it, even while feeling relaxed in front of a family member she believed she could trust. No way.

...I thought I'd be more disturbed by the Hound backhanding Arya than I turned out to be. I did love Arya's water dancing, though.

Edited by Newstar

He's thinking of using his individual money to essentially pay off the interest rates/minimum payment to keep the IB from backstabing them.

No, that's absurd. If the mines had run dry that would be common knowledge, seeing as there would be thousands of unemployed miners, and many more people without work at every stage of the process. For that matter, Robb's men would have noticed when they took some of those mines during their campaign.

No, that's absurd. If the mines had run dry that would be common knowledge, seeing as there would be thousands of unemployed miners, and many more people without work at every stage of the process. For that matter, Robb's men would have noticed when they took some of those mines during their campaign.

Not every mine in the Westerlands are Lannister mines. And Tywin can right off one unproducing mine as a "reserve," and make sure miners are not jumping from mine to mine. So several mines could close, or their produce greatly lied about. Tywin's father proved their wealth is vulnerable by nearly bankrupting the house during a time of piece.

I would not be surprised if the Lannister's are bankrupted by series end. Not saying they won't bounce back, they collect taxes from a rich region and control a large city, but "rich as a Lannister." Will become a Rat Cook like message.

One little thing that bothered me in this episode: Sansa licking her fingers when eating the lemon cakes. Even in the Middle Ages, licking one's fingers was considered bad table manners, and someone as exquisitely drilled in etiquette and courtesy as Sansa would never do it, even while feeling relaxed in front of a family member she believed she could trust. No way.

...I thought I'd be more disturbed by the Hound backhanding Arya than I turned out to be. I did love Arya's water dancing, though.

What anout those archers constantly having their bows drawn ? They probably get tired from constanting holding a drawn bow. Edited by Gneisenau

For a second son that Kevan is pretty rich.

Sansa licking her fingers when eating the lemon cakes.

Hi,

Though it seems I already have part of the answer to my query, here it is : every monday night since the start of this season, I try to match our menu dinner with the episode we view that night.

So, please tell me, what's on the menu tonight ?

Hi,

Though it seems I already have part of the answer to my query, here it is : every monday night since the start of this season, I try to match our menu dinner with the episode we view that night.

So, please tell me, what's on the menu tonight ?

Lemons/lemoncakes and rabbit

So, re: Lysa/LF's noisy power-coupling, who plays patsy when the Moon Door opens in a couple of episodes (Mockingbird, perhaps?)? If memory serves, Tyrion remarks in Season 1 about the death of "the singer" after the raid on Cat's hostage party on the way to the Eyrie. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I can't imagine how LF will manage the already tenuous relationship with the Lords Declarant absent a suitable mark.

So, re: Lysa/LF's noisy power-coupling, who plays patsy when the Moon Door opens in a couple of episodes (Mockingbird, perhaps?)? If memory serves, Tyrion remarks in Season 1 about the death of "the singer" after the raid on Cat's hostage party on the way to the Eyrie. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I can't imagine how LF will manage the already tenuous relationship with the Lords Declarant absent a suitable mark.

I think the singer character who accompanied Cat and Tyrion to the Vale is the same character who gets his tongue ripped out in 1x10, and I thought that in the show he was named Marillion.

At any rate, unless it's going to be drastically rewritten, the Vale storyline needs some sort of character to serve as Littlefinger's patsy for Lysa's murder. I expect someone to be introduced to fulfill that purpose (hopefully no rape attempt on Sansa required).

Was I the only one who thought Jojen was a total badass for basically laughing in Karl's face when he told him how he was going to die? Jojen was money in this episode.

When they were stringing up Meera, Bran and Hodor were panicking and Jojen just sat there like he was holding pocket aces, I got the best feeling.

I think the singer character who accompanied Cat and Tyrion to the Vale is the same character who gets his tongue ripped out in 1x10, and I thought that in the show he was named Marillion.

At any rate, unless it's going to be drastically rewritten, the Vale storyline needs some sort of character to serve as Littlefinger's patsy for Lysa's murder. I expect someone to be introduced to fulfill that purpose (hopefully no rape attempt on Sansa required).

All the really need a random dude to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.