Karl Tanner and Locke Appreciation thread (Show Spoilers)

Now that is how you pull off show only characters. I realize Karl is weird merger between Dirk and Clubfoot Karl, and that Locke is a reimaging of Vargo Hoat, but they both seem so unique that it's better to take them as wholly different entities. But seriously, Gorman really fucking sold this role, and that climactic fight with Jon in the hut made the battle end on a real high note. The brutal choreography in conjunction with Karl's taunting add such hair raising tension to the scene. I think my favorite part was that Jon doesn't actually succeed in defeating Karl in single combat. Craster's daughter being the one to really turn the tides felt incredibly fitting, and more realistic than having Jon save the day outright. So yeah, I'm tipping my hat off to Gorman. This is the kind of book deviation I have no objections to, as they facilitate the creativity of the showrunners but remain authentically grounded in the atmosphere of Martin's universe.

In the case of Locke, I commend the actor's performance, as per usual, but I must say that I was a little disappointed in his death sequence. I guess a part of me was still hoping we might see Bran and the gang rescued by Coldhands, but it's clear now that's just not in the cards. On the whole, I'm sad to see these guys go, but glad that they didn't overstay their welcome, as it would have cheapened them had they been kept around too long.

Disappointed with Locke's death, too.

I would've liked to see warged-Hodor pull the guy's arms right out of their sockets. That would've been much more in line with the Goat's fate in the books, of course.

Kudos to the actor, though. He was so good, I almost didn't "mith" Vargo.

Didn't like Lockes demise...too quick. Also, because the actor was awesome. Why bring in an awesome actor just to kill him so quickly and without any real emphasis?

yeah, I too, was disappointed with the abrupt end to the Locke subplot. I wish they would have left him alive but injured. His death was like Joe's in The Walking Dead. They spent half a dozen episodes developing his character as if he's going to be a longterm wrench in the works, and then 'zip' he's dead in 5 seconds.

Locke's demise was quicker than I expected (Brienne's gonna need to find another ear to bite off!) But at least it eliminates the need to explain how he's going to try to get to Rickon after "committing" to the Watch/saying the words.

And Karl THE FOOKING LEGEND's demise was quicker than I wanted. Such a fun character, almost a shame to write off such a colorful character/portrayal so soon, but such is Game Of Thrones/ASOIAF. GRRM always makes his redshirts memorable in their own right.

Bran made the innocent Hodor kill a man with his own hands and Hodor looks very disturbed after realising what he did.

This.

Since the show has no easy way to let the viewers know that warging a fellow human is a huge no-no for wargs, they have to illustrate it in some way. And I think this works very well in that regard, even when it's obviously not as clear as it was in ADwD's prologue.

Locke's death was anti-climatic, considering all these threads we have about him being 'best buds' with Jon and a cooler version of Bowen Marsh.

However, I did like the irony behind Bran serving justice to the man who crippled the man who crippled him (Jaime). Oh, Karma does have a twisted sense of humour!

Karl was amazing and creepy and I'm glad he wasn't there to just make Jon look awesome when he killed him. Karl clearly was talented at combat and damn, how dare he spit on Jon!

Like I said last week, both talented actors really made their characters!

Really liked Locke and sad to see him go. I thought Vargo was funny in the books, but Locke was definitely a show change done right. He was built up with the right amount of cunning and ruthlessness, that I could have seen him getting the upper hand on Jon. The Gin Alley scrub though, not so much. The fact that he essentially beat Jon in a fight is pretty silly.

Didn't like Lockes demise...too quick. Also, because the actor was awesome. Why bring in an awesome actor just to kill him so quickly and without any real emphasis?

Yeah, I agree. A very uninteresting death for one of the shows' more entertaining bad guys. I liked his interactions at the Wall, too. Would have liked to have seen him stick around longer.

Locke's death was highly disappointing. I was really hoping he would have a heel turn moment but the writers went with the obvious tv audience expected route.

Locke's death was anti-climatic, considering all these threads we have about him being 'best buds' with Jon and a cooler version of Bowen Marsh.

Yep all that wasted potential. Oh well, I guess they were just throwing in an extended part for him because of the actors' performance anyway. Same with Burn Gorman.

Locke's death was highly disappointing. I was really hoping he would have a heel turn moment but the writers went with the obvious tv audience expected route.

Yep all that wasted potential. Oh well, I guess they were just throwing in an extended part for him because of the actors' performance anyway. Same with Burn Gorman.

Think it was more just a red herring for all viewers. Book readers and non book readers expected him to have a large role so it played against the entire audience's expectations.

I too was surprised and disappointed with Locke's death. The guy was awesome. I always enjoyed watching him on screen and trying to guess what crazy thing he'll do next. I wish he would've stuck around for a little longer.

Didn't care much for Karl. He was way too grimderp disney-villain-esque for me. I found him more annoying than anything, and I'm kinda glad he's gone. I get that Jon needs bad guys to go up against and what-not, but they should at least be realistically bad. Styr's got a good balance, I think. At least his wildling-aspect makes him more believable.

Archived