Karl Tanner and Locke Appreciation thread (Show Spoilers)

He was probably informed first, by Roose and Ramsay. He seems to be a smart guy, sorta "who are these kids I have to kill? How do they look like?".

BTW, Locke is the second "invented" character to go. First was Ros. Who's next? Myranda? Olyvar?

I don't think Ros counts as the first 'invented' character to die. There's XXD from season 2 Dany. Okay, they technically took the name from the books but he has nothing else in common with the book character. I'd call him an invented character.

Talisa is an invented character as well..

I don't think Ros counts as the first 'invented' character to die. There's XXD from season 2 Dany. Okay, they technically took the name from the books but he has nothing else in common with the book character. I'd call him an invented character.

Talisa is an invented character as well..

Well technically Locke was the invented replacer for Vargo Hoat - so all of those characters (Xaro, Talisa, Locke) were actually in the book but you're right - totally nothing like their book counterparts in the show. Ros was the only truly invented character who didn't exist in the books in any other name / form that I can think of actually - although there was one un-named whore from Winterfell that Theon was fond of if I remember correctly, wasn't there?

Ugh,no. Not that dracula's bride. What use is she?

Yeah I'm not saying it's a good choice of plot twists - but they've made that girl prominent in a few scenes now as Ramsay's sidekick so if they're going to do the fake Arya story line at all, I think she could be a candidate for it in the looks dept at least - but again, too old.

For me, the biggest adaptation disappointment of the entire season so far is that they killed off Locke. He was an entertaining character and I was hoping (and, to be honest expecting) him to stick around a little longer.

Continuing the deviation from the books, the scene also perhaps marks the point of the real loss of Bran's innocence. (Who does that leave as 'innocent'? - Sansa, Sam, Tommen, can't think of anyone else.) He used Hodor to kill a man who wasn't even trying to kill him (he was just kidnapping him). He could simply have knocked him unconscious instead of snapping his neck. Very disturbing. I wish he had only knocked him out, also because then we'd get to see more of Locke.

• 4 months later...

Jon would probably get killed if that Craster's wife didn't stab Karl from behind. Will Jon ever become a better swordsman just like his father Rhaegar was?

I agree, but IMHO fight with a longsword against two daggers is risky business...

The arc had its purpose, showing that Jon could step up and take charge. A stepping stone to his role in the next season, which could be an improvement in that Jon taking on the role of Lord Commander feels less like a Gary Stu moment (Check out the Anti-Author Terminology thread for more on this). Here, we have Night's Watchmen who have seen Jon's ability to lead, which combined with him taking charge of the Wall versus Mance Rayder gives credibility to his brothers' decision to elect him as Lord Commander.

• 6 months later...

Karl was a legend back in Gin Alley.

He could take any knight and how much you want to bet he could throw this ball over them mountains?

ANY KNIGHT.

Karl...

:frown5:

You were the one brother with the ethical temerity to call out Craster on his daughter fooking, wildling bastard ways. Jeor and Jon didn't have the courage to stand up to him. But you did, ser.

Now that is how you pull off show only characters. I realize Karl is weird merger between Dirk and Clubfoot Karl, and that Locke is a reimaging of Vargo Hoat, but they both seem so unique that it's better to take them as wholly different entities. But seriously, Gorman really fucking sold this role, and that climactic fight with Jon in the hut made the battle end on a real high note. The brutal choreography in conjunction with Karl's taunting add such hair raising tension to the scene. I think my favorite part was that Jon doesn't actually succeed in defeating Karl in single combat. Craster's daughter being the one to really turn the tides felt incredibly fitting, and more realistic than having Jon save the day outright. So yeah, I'm tipping my hat off to Gorman. This is the kind of book deviation I have no objections to, as they facilitate the creativity of the showrunners but remain authentically grounded in the atmosphere of Martin's universe.

In the case of Locke, I commend the actor's performance, as per usual, but I must say that I was a little disappointed in his death sequence. I guess a part of me was still hoping we might see Bran and the gang rescued by Coldhands, but it's clear now that's just not in the cards. On the whole, I'm sad to see these guys go, but glad that they didn't overstay their welcome, as it would have cheapened them had they been kept around too long.

Gorman was brilliant

I found it a bit corny when he started going on about Gin Alley, but that's a TV show and he's not responsible for the lines, but the vibe in which he delivered them ("any more commands for us Lord Commanda!?") and the vibe he gave off when he killed Craster last season was great in a creepy way - it was better when he stabbed Craster and seemingly appeared from nowhere with no idea who he was ("you are a bastard!") or his backstory, should have kept it that way

People may have wanted Vargo Hoat and fair enough in its own way, but in the role he was given the actor pulled off Locke really well, with what his character was it was convincing and you believed the animosity and conflict with Jaimie

The whole "have you seen me with a knife" actually made me think a fight between both Locke and Karl would have been quite fitting in a GRRM universe, and it would be a nice twist on a TV show because instead of 'goody vs baddy' which is how people like to paint everything people would be torn on who to support which would be fitting for this type of show

Mind you the bit where he spits in Jons face was pretty great/funny

• 2 weeks later...

Corny as shit, I know, but I was kinda hoping Locke would see a Wight and join team Jon. But I guess we have enough redemption arcs. Karl Tanner was just awesome though.

Archived