[BOOK SPOILERS] Ser Jorah

I feel like that opportunity was lost in the much-bemoaned season 2, and even season 3 somewhere (like on the ship, where it shoulda happened!). Dany is gonna be kissing Hizzle fo Shizzle and Daario. I guess D&D drew a line at Jorah.

It would be a really difficult scene to film and the show has a bad track record with ambiguity and what they meant; lacking the internal POV. Either they would make it look like Jorah sexually assaulted Dany or that she actually was interested in him.

They MIGHT, I must stress might, do it in episode 7. This is where Dany has sex with Daario by the look of the episode description. They could be trying to mirror what happens in ASOS where he kisses her but she then seeks sexual comfort with Irri (?); only instead they replace her with Daario. Or, they could have him kiss her AFTER shes already laid waste to Daario. I think Ian Glen said something at a recent premiere about picking the right moment to tell Dany something. Doing it after she is clearly with Daario would definetly count as a bad time...

He'll be banished, the writers will want to do Jorah and Tyrion travels next season. I don't know how they'll make it work at this point. My guess will be a whole new plot reason and betrayal (unintentional) will be created, and then Barristan will reveal that he does know a bit about Jorah's deals with Robert, thus sending Dany over the edge.

He'll be banished, the writers will want to do Jorah and Tyrion travels next season. I don't know how they'll make it work at this point. My guess will be a whole new plot reason and betrayal (unintentional) will be created, and then Barristan will reveal that he does know a bit about Jorah's deals with Robert, thus sending Dany over the edge.

Unrelated, but...god, everything is going so fast. Season 2 doesn't feel all that long ago. Now we're almost onto ADWD material.

I hope GRRM isn't feeling too much pressure :eek:

Yeah it seems to me they don't want Dany's character misinterpreted and keeping her 'reserved' for love only. In fact I doubt she kisses Hizdahr (I had to look up that spelling!) at all since it was a short-lived political marriage at most. If Dany kisses Jorah now, and then starts up her love affair with Dhaario, she'll look 'slutty' to some viewers and they don't want that at all - Dany's one of the 'pure' characters they've been building up thus far. In fact they are downplaying her mistakes a lot. I hesitate to say 'whitewashing' her character, she's always been pretty white but she has gone down the darker path in Meereen and I just don't see them taking her there on the show.

See bolded part.... you don't think they'll make her follow her path to the dark side in S5? Interesting. I can see it going either way, because they love to "purify" Dany & Tyrion, but isn't this integral for Dany next series? I mean, what does she do, if not make bad decision, followed by bad decision, etc.?

ETA: sorry, way off topic :P

See bolded part.... you don't think they'll make her follow her path to the dark side in S5? Interesting. I can see it going either way, because they love to "purify" Dany & Tyrion, but isn't this integral for Dany next series? I mean, what does she do, if not make bad decision, followed by bad decision, etc.?

ETA: sorry, way off topic :P

Yeah I know it's a bit off topic since the thread is about Ser Jorah's part in the story but it does tie in with Dany since of course now we have no real idea what they're going to do with her plot in Meereen going forward. Everything's up to the writer's interpretation at this stage because if they stick to the books entirely then we're all left hanging. If they improvise on the story or change it in any way then everyone's assuming there's a different ending.

But no, I don't see them making Dany nearly as dark as she was in the books during her Meereen phase. They're already making her a lot more innocent and even her self questioning of how she can possibly rule comes off sounding like her circumstances are to blame and not her ability to make good leadership decisions.

If Jorah is going to be banished, it could be possibly due to him taking the initiative and chaining up the dragons, after the farmer brings his child's bones to Dany.

That scene with Jorah and Barriston from last season seemed to indicate that Barristan knew nothing about Jorah's previous spying.

They're already making her a lot more innocent and even her self questioning of how she can possibly rule comes off sounding like her circumstances are to blame and not her ability to make good leadership decisions.

No ruler in ASoIaF has made that many good decisions so far. Absolutely no one. The one who came closest was Jon, and even he made a huge mistake by assuming that he could impose his will on veteran NW members who had been taught that the Wildlings were the enemy they were supposed to fight all along.

At least Dany's managed to stay alive, unlike Robert, Robb, Renly, Joffrey, Balon, the Old Bear and even Jon (as far as we know).

If Jorah is going to be banished, it could be possibly due to him taking the initiative and chaining up the dragons, after the farmer brings his child's bones to Dany.

That scene with Jorah and Barriston from last season seemed to indicate that Barristan knew nothing about Jorah's previous spying.

I pray to the Old Gods and the New that this isn't what happens. It's necessary to Dany's caharcter development and hopefully her continued development to chain up the dragons on her own command. Locking her children away has major repercussions for her as a ruler and a Targaryen , so I hope Jorah doesn't do it. That would make him overly anxious to please her (not that he isn't anyways though...)

Yeah I know it's a bit off topic since the thread is about Ser Jorah's part in the story but it does tie in with Dany since of course now we have no real idea what they're going to do with her plot in Meereen going forward. Everything's up to the writer's interpretation at this stage because if they stick to the books entirely then we're all left hanging. If they improvise on the story or change it in any way then everyone's assuming there's a different ending.

But no, I don't see them making Dany nearly as dark as she was in the books during her Meereen phase. They're already making her a lot more innocent and even her self questioning of how she can possibly rule comes off sounding like her circumstances are to blame and not her ability to make good leadership decisions.

Off topic but gods I hope they don't completely wash her. Her experiences all cultivate in her disappearance and wanderings in the Great Grass Sea. I want darker!Dany so, hopefully, if she does come out of the Dothraki Sea she has learned her lessons and finally gets her ass moving with the knowledge she can't please everyone.

It would be a really difficult scene to film and the show has a bad track record with ambiguity and what they meant; lacking the internal POV. Either they would make it look like Jorah sexually assaulted Dany or that she actually was interested in him.

They MIGHT, I must stress might, do it in episode 7. This is where Dany has sex with Daario by the look of the episode description. They could be trying to mirror what happens in ASOS where he kisses her but she then seeks sexual comfort with Irri (?); only instead they replace her with Daario. Or, they could have him kiss her AFTER shes already laid waste to Daario. I think Ian Glen said something at a recent premiere about picking the right moment to tell Dany something. Doing it after she is clearly with Daario would definetly count as a bad time...

I feel it should still happen for Jorah's characterization. Eh, it might make him look like a creeper, but even all the Unsullied watchers know he's practically head over heels for his Khaleesi, so I doubt it would shock them overly much if he makes a move. How it happens in regard to timing I'm not sure I care about much, i just would prefer it happen eventually before his banishment. It would make sense she goes to seek comfort in Daario, but she could even banish Jorah first and then go seek comfort in Daario for her 'loss'.

But who knows? Maybe it's in Iain Glen's contract that he's got to be in "x" number of episodes per season or something like that. It's always tricky with actors' contracts and that sort of thing.

I noticed this week in the opening credits that Iain Glen is the only main actor to be listed as "With Iain Glen". I don't know anything about actors and contracts, but I wondered if it had anything to do with Jorah being banished. Could that be a clue as to show Jorah's future?

I noticed this week in the opening credits that Iain Glen is the only main actor to be listed as "With Iain Glen". I don't know anything about actors and contracts, but I wondered if it had anything to do with Jorah being banished. Could that be a clue as to show Jorah's future?

A "With" or "And" credit is a special thing some actors' agents lobby for if the actor is a notable name but isn't able to be listed first in the credits. In S1 Peter Dinklage had the special "With" credit because obviously Sean Bean was listed first.

A "With" or "And" credit is a special thing some actors' agents lobby for if the actor is a notable name but isn't able to be listed first in the credits. In S1 Peter Dinklage had the special "With" credit because obviously Sean Bean was listed first.

Ahhh. It just seemed out of place to me with all the other opening credits. Almost like he wasn't equal to the other actors. And I never noticed the season 1 credits. I was too busy looking at the sigils.

I'm almost positive the whole Jorah banishment thing is related to Glen's contract, other filming commitments, etc. But I don't think Jorah will be gone for more than half a season (assuming Dany does banish him at all, that is).

I guess how many episodes he may be gone is entirely dependent on what D&D are planning to do with Tyrion's journey in Essos. I think it could be just 3, 4 eps. before he runs into Jorah at the pleasure house in Selhorys, and maybe another ep. or 2 in between, for a total of 5, 6 episodes in all.

At least, this is what I would do for storytelling purposes and TV time constraints.

Then there was that scene back in Quarth where the mysterious woman in the masque asked Jorah if he were going to betray Dany again, remember?

Another thing that makes me wonder is that in the books, Dany found out about Barristan and Jorah at the same time, then made them wade through the sewers to get into Meereen. But Dany knew about Barristan 'way back after he killed the Mantacore and Greyworm went through the sewers in Meereen. Makes me worry Jorah won't be 'banished' after all, and I'm really looking forward to his and Tyrion's storyline.

He needs to be banished. There are way too many people in Dany's entourage right now; it's important for her to be floundering next season without his advice; and Tyrion will need someone to travel with.

If Jorah is still reporting on Dany, it has to be because he thinks it's in her best interest (like he knows that Varys actually supports her). Then one of Dany's other men (likely Barristan) will somehow intercept one of his reports and tell Dany; Jorah will be unable to convince her that it's not a betrayal, and she'll banish him.

He needs to be banished. There are way too many people in Dany's entourage right now; it's important for her to be floundering next season without his advice; and Tyrion will need someone to travel with.

If Jorah is still reporting on Dany, it has to be because he thinks it's in her best interest (like he knows that Varys actually supports her). Then one of Dany's other men (likely Barristan) will somehow intercept one of his reports and tell Dany; Jorah will be unable to convince her that it's not a betrayal, and she'll banish him.

Unless Jorah messes with one of her babies. He continues to warn Dany about the dangers of her dragons, so I can't help but think Drogon has something to do with his banishment.

What if they played up the Barristan-Jorah antagonistic relationship? There is groundwork for it from S3, even though they haven't really touched on it this season.

Or maybe the Daario-Jorah thing. Was Jorah the one to bring up Joff's death? Maybe Daario could ask him how he knew, or something.

I'm convinced it'll happen. It's such beautiful poetic justice that the slaver becomes a slave. And also, Tyrion needs a sidekick!

That could be the way to do it.

I could see the two arguing over tactics with Dany then getting a bit too personal and calling each other out on stuff until Barristan brings out the big guns.

Also, I'm glad Jorah's stuck around so far but I hope there's enough time where he's gone to make meeting up with Tyrion all the more exciting. Unsullied fans will definitely recognize him instantly - especially considering it would only be what like 10-15 (very rough guess) episodes without him?

God speed GRRM!!

I tend to agree. I dont think Barriston knows he was spying, but he was more eluding to his slave trading. The way he worded it, almost saying that public opinion of him would force him to the sideline.

The man Knighted at the Battle of Pyke, Jorah Mormont second man through the doors, a well known man like Jorah being caught selling slaves would be not common knowledge but certainly out there. Him spying on the other hand, I dont think that would be something Varys nor Camp Dany would want to be known and it would only be her inner circle who would be privy to his betrayl.

Could news of Dany settling in for the long haul possibly come from the Iron Bank? They would obviously have a vested interest in Slavers Bay. We see Team Dragonstone is due for a meeting some bank executives re:massiveloan and Tywin has been setting up some massive iron bank involvement. Would it be a stretch to say a representative from the bank comes knocking in KL and Tywin tries to delay paying the loan back by saying they are under threat from the Tarygaryen girl with Dragons and the banker informs him that she is setting up shop in Mereen, you have nothing to worry about, you dont need gold give us our money?

Archived