[Book Spoilers] The Jon Arryn Reveal.

shiola

Thoughts?

I'm personally really bummed. I thought it was a huge part of the momentum in the "Only Cat" scene... And now that shock value is gone.

Just look at the show only viewers response - give them some credit!

Most people completely understood the ramifications of the information and loved it!

I thought it was well done.

The Only Cat scene will still be amazing.

Thoughts?

I'm personally really bummed. I thought it was a huge part of the momentum in the "Only Cat" scene... And now that shock value is gone.

I said it in the main thread but I think the show is probably going to mention it a couple times because it is very unlikely show watchers really remember I guy who only appeared once as a corpse. The episode reinforces that, since the the dialogue wouldn't have been different in episode ten.

I 100% understand why they did it, and I know it was for nonreaders. I just didn't like it anyway. I'm good at taking changes in stride and separating the show and the books completely, and I try very hard to stay that way, but I'm stubborn on this point.

I liked it. I thought the reveal in the book--done through a long villain expository monologue as clunky as anything you'd find in the cheesiest James Bond movies--was horribly executed. This isn't a huge improvement, but at least it gets that revelation out of the way so that the tension and the momentum in the Moon Door scene won't be deflated by Lysa giving a long speech where she explains exactly at great length what her deal is. Ditto for the scene with Sansa where Lysa shows just how crazy and jealous she can be.

I 100% understand why they did it, and I know it was for nonreaders. I just didn't like it anyway. I'm good at taking changes in stride and separating the show and the books completely, and I try very hard to stay that way, but I'm stubborn on this point.

exactly what i thought. it makes complete sense for them to do it now, especially because if they save for it episode 10 and Only Cat it might get overshadowed by some of the other big twists at the end of the season, but the tension of the Only Cat scene did make the reveal in the books much more intense. im disappointed but i also understand.

I have mixed feeling. On one hand thought it sucked that they chose to reveal it so early and just drop it in. On the other hand, they really do need to remind people of Jon Arryn. Besides, they will continue to reinforce and Sansa HAS to hear it as well.

My worry though is that they are rushing with Sansa's storyline. Convinced more and more that Only Cat will happen in episode 7, which sucks big time. :(

I have mixed feeling. On one hand thought it sucked that they chose to reveal it so early and just drop it in. On the other hand, they really do need to remind people of Jon Arryn. Besides, they will continue to reinforce and Sansa HAS to hear it as well.

My worry though is that they are rushing with Sansa's storyline. Convinced more and more that Only Cat will happen in episode 7, which sucks big time. :(

I am like... 90% confident it will be in episode 7. And I am 100% confident that that will crush me. I'll be pretty pissed.

I am like... 90% confident it will be in episode 7. And I am 100% confident that that will crush me. I'll be pretty pissed.

I had thought it would be in episode 10, personally, to match up with all the other "climaxes" that will likely take place in that episode (Tyrion murdering Shae and Tywin, e.g.). They also need to introduce some sort of Marillion-type character to serve as a patsy, and it would make for a heck of a busy episode if the Marillion-type character's introduction, the snow scene, the confrontation, and the Moon Door scene all took place in the same episode.

I liked it. I thought the reveal in the book--done through a long villain expository monologue as clunky as anything you'd find in the cheesiest James Bond movies--was horribly executed. This isn't a huge improvement, but at least it gets that revelation out of the way so that the tension and the momentum in the Moon Door scene won't be deflated by Lysa giving a long speech where she explains exactly at great length what her deal is. Ditto for the scene with Sansa where Lysa shows just how crazy and jealous she can be.

It really doesn't last that long in the books. And a monologue wouldn't be broken up with a lot of dialogue the way the Only Cat scene is. I guess I can see why it would be viewed as what you're describing, but I definitely disagree. It's a drunken lunatic raving, not a villianess explaining their top secret world domination plot.

Not a fan, honestly. I had this very vivid image of how that whole part went down in the books, with Lysa getting more and more histerical, spilling more and more secrets, with the music getting louder and louder (kinda like the part in The Dark Knight when Harvey Dent is pointing a gun at Gordon and Batman)

Eh, I don't know, at least they offered something plot-important in an otherwise uneventful episode, so I guess that's fine

I thought it would be in episode 10, personally, but damn, they're burning through Sansa's storyline wayyyyy faster than I thought they would.

I thought it would be in episode 10 til we found out 7 is named after Littlefinger, and add the Jon Arryn reveal this week.. Seems pretty likely now.

Not disliking it. Explains why Littlefinger is playing Lysa's "game" of marrying and loving her, because she knows too much. Also, is good to know that finally someone has LF grabbed by the balls. It was obvious that he didn't like her to openly say "I killed for you!!!" like she did.

Let's not forget this TV scene was just between Baelish and Lysa. In the books Sansa also hear's Lysa's confession. So when we get to the Moon Door scene we'll still have the info revealed to Sansa for the first time.

That's definitely true, and I realized it as well. I just don't think it packs the same punch though. It works better, to me, when it's a surprise to the character as well as the viewer.

Strangely, I'm not upset about the early Jon Arryn reveal necessarily. I'm upset about the omnipotence of Lysa's madness. I think what takes the "oh shit" out of "Only Cat" is front-loading Lysa's madness before it happens. She was a lot eviller to Sansa than she ever was to Cat in Season 1. She basically breastfed and gave the middle finger to Cat that she wouldn't help, while she's killing Sansa with lemon cakes tonight.

When you know someone is balloons crazy, you expect them to do just about anything. "Only Cat" isn't a reveal of just her as the murderer, but also a reveal and undeniable confirmation about just how far her insanity extends.

Just reposting my thoughts for reference that may have got lost in the other thread.

also found telling Robin Alayne=Sansa bizarre. Harmless, but they went out of their way to address it lol. Weird.

*Stops drinking to respond to this discussion*

I already voiced my complete and utter displeasure with this revelation being done now as opposed to later, but I will continue bitching now that you brought it up. :p

The original revelation in the Snow Castle scene was jaw dropping to me because it really crystallized two important things to me: 1) The Lannisters aren't the root of all evil and 2) Littlefinger is. ;) From that moment on, I truly respected the brilliance of LF and his ability to plunge 7 Kingdoms into a civil war without so much as lifting a sword. It was totally a 'paradigm shift' to me. That it has been revealed in an almost inconsequential manner and without the benefit of really letting it sink it...I tell you, it gets my goat! *Drinks*

The more I think about it, however, the more I'm convinced it'll be stated again in the Only Cat moment, not for the benefit of the viewer's knowledge...but for Sansa's. Meaning, get that shocking moment out of the way for us as viewers...and then, when Only Cat happens, we can really focus in on Sansa's reaction to it rather than being shocked by it. Ugh. I hope that made sense.

It felt rushed to me. As my non-reader boyfriend pointed out, mouth agape at her confession, "that's what got this whole thing started." Jon Arryn's death was what kicked all of this off, and I felt like Lysa's confession was a really anti-climactic moment. I hope they'll do it justice in the Moon Door scene.

I have my doubts about a Lady Stoneheart appearance. As much as I want to see it, I have a feeling that she may have been cut...

Archived