[Book Spoilers] The Jon Arryn Reveal.

shiola

On the one hand I'm sad, because that was really an epic reveal in the books with Lysa babbling hysterically away. On the other hand I can see why they did it this way, because it seems even many readers where so delighted/distracted that he killed Lysa then and there, that they didn't really get what was said before.

My show-watcher friends were personally all "who's Jon Arryn and why hasn't Khaleesi landed in Westeros"

That sounds like a problem on your friends' behalf, not a lack of explanation from the show. The Unsullied I've seen understood what it meant, but it wouldn't surprise me that more casual viewers wouldn't bat an eye at the exchange.

I'm fine with how it was revealed. It actually shocked me because I didn't expect it to be dropped right then, so I had a little chuckle to myself.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Sansa did the pushing? I could easily see Lysa being loose-lipped about what happened to Jon and Sansa finally deciding enough is enough.

That wouldn't make any sense; why would she kill Lysa but then go back to working with Littlefinger?

That wouldn't make any sense; why would she kill Lysa but then go back to working with Littlefinger?

Lysa would basically say "I did it" (in a more elaborative fashion) but not fully explain why. Sansa would keep to herself what really happened to Lysa (Petyr, Lysa attacked me, she went crazy!!) and without Littlefinger knowing, work to kill him from the inside out. Check LF's face, he basically wants Lysa gone and the power of the Vale for himself, her dying wouldn't upset him nearly as much as anyone knowing about the plot.

Thoughts?

I'm personally really bummed. I thought it was a huge part of the momentum in the "Only Cat" scene... And now that shock value is gone.

Same. Sansa doesn't know, but now the fans do, so the impact of the later Moon Door scene is lessened.

Also, tied to this is Lysa's earlier onset of craziness.

Thoughts?

I'm personally really bummed. I thought it was a huge part of the momentum in the "Only Cat" scene... And now that shock value is gone.

Yup the "Only Cat" scene was a double mind fuck, I'm sure it will still be good but the scene is already lessened

It's still valid because Sansa doesn't know, so seeing her shock will be like hearing it again for the first time

Only cat...would be better in ep 10 but i understand why they'd need to move it to ep.7. theres just too much going on in ep 10

Kinda insulting to the show watchers. My unsullied brother immediately knew the implications of the reveal.

It's not an insult to anyone, it's just such a minor plot point that hasn't been relevant to the show in 3 years. It's no surprise a lot of people wouldn't catch on.

It's not an insult to anyone, it's just such a minor plot point that hasn't been relevant to the show in 3 years. It's no surprise a lot of people wouldn't catch on.

Many people who only watch the show have seen all the episodes more than once. And in fact refresh their memory by watching them back to back before a new seasons starts. A minority, admittedly, but I imagine the majority of the 6-7 million who watch the show haven't even seen every episode, and it'd be a catastrophe to start catering to them (more than they already are)

Reading the reactions around the internet it seems most people did catch on :dunno:

Just look at the show only viewers response - give them some credit!

Most people completely understood the ramifications of the information and loved it!

I thought it was well done.

The Only Cat scene will still be amazing.

Yea at first I was let down that they downplayed it, but after seeing show watchers only jaws hit the floor. I guess they did a good job plus I think it'll probably be said again in the onlycat scene.

Well, I am glad that viewers are getting to see that it was Littlefinger who essentually started the war between Stark and Lannister. Ask yourselves this though, which I have presented in the book forums. The timing of Jon Arryn's death stopped him, Jon from telling Robert about the twincest. Littlefinger had to be doing Cersei's bidding or he, through spies, knew Jon was about to do this or even Jon confided in Littlefinger like Ned did. What do you think?

I didn't like it. It felt like inorganic, rushed exposition, and I wasn't really sold on the context.

I feel like GRRM picked his moment well to drop the bombshell. Lysa was a raving madwoman by the point she (almost offhandedly) confessed to the murder. There was an urgency to her situation and it felt like a good time she could reasonably let it slip, while here she was just listing off crimes to remind Littlefinger she'd committed them.

No way. My wife hasn't read the books, and she was S H O C K E D ! out of her chair. "What?!!" she screamed..."Pause it, we must discuss!" The reveal was perfectly shocking, big, revealing, and stage-setting for her. Those of us who have read the books may find it hard to accept, but there are lots of good ways to tell a similar story differently. This worked for me as a reader, and my wife as a newbie. I'm sure Only Cat will be as awesome!

Archived