[Book Spoilers] Jojen's Burning Hand

Newstar

I think the speech was directed at Bran. Now the simple explanation for the "fire" is that he saw Crasters Keep burning. But since the speech was directed at Bran it could mean that either Bran will end by fire or Bran might control fire (aka mount or warg a dragon) haven't seen anyone mention that yet.

Anyway I think fire in this scene symbolizes "Summer"... And Jojen's speech indicates that Bran will be the only survivor by the time "summer comes" or Bran will bring Summer back (ironic, since the motto of his house is "Winter is Coming").

Jojenpaste is not a thing. That was the first thing i thought. It looks like Jojen dies of illness and gets burned as to not become a wight. Hes seeing his own death.

I'd agree it's not a show thing, but I'm not sure if that says anything about the books as the two are branching off more and more. It seems like a difference they can work around and a minor enough plot point GRRM may just have forgotten to mention it. But yeah. In the show, I doubt he's paste.

Rewatch the scene people. Jojen was clearly talking about his own mortality. He was saying he didnt want to drink water because it doesnt matter, he knows hes toasted. Later Meera asked when would they know "the end"(meaning death), and Jojen saw himself basically deteriorating, and said they'll know.

Also, WATCH the interview Thomas did on Thronecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQLlWjSBT8E

He basically says Jojen will sacrifice himself to help Bran

Sorry if you dont like the Jojen paste...but come on. Its happening.

I personally am really fond JojenPaste, whether it is true/show!canon or not. For his burning hand though, my first and immediate interpretation was that he would sacrifice himself via JojenPaste (sorry if you don't like the theory), then the CotF would either burn his body so he couldn't become wightified, or he does become a wight and still ends up burned. If the fire is literal and not representative of something like Summer coming, then I hope Jojen's already dead and doesn't have to suffer being burned alive

He basically says Jojen will sacrifice himself to help Bran

Sorry if you dont like the Jojen paste...but come on. Its happening.

Pfff. Sacrificing himself to help Bran could mean a whole bevy of things. It could mean he lets himself get eaten by wights so Bran can live. It could mean blocking a swing from an Other for Bran. It could mean aliens kidnap him instead of Bran. Why does it have to mean Jojenpaste?

The Mel burning theory has some weight to it. If Mel finds that lot....D:

Pfff. Sacrificing himself to help Bran could mean a whole bevy of things. It could mean he lets himself get eaten by wights so Bran can live. It could mean blocking a swing from an Other for Bran. It could mean aliens kidnap him instead of Bran. Why does it have to mean Jojenpaste?

The Mel burning theory has some weight to it. If Mel finds that lot....D:

I'm pissed Jojen didn't sacrifice himself before the aliens took Benjen :angry2: Jojen needs to up his self-sacrificial game pronto

First, the fire could be metaphorical. Visions and prophecies are like this, they're not literal.

Second, I doubt, if it is literal, that means he will be burnt to not turn into a wight. That wouldn't be a vision of his death. It's like having a vision of my dead being burnt and stay away from the fire all my life only to slip with a banana peel and get cremated.

This has already been mentioned on this thread, but I wanted to second (or third) it. I'm pretty sure it was just a reference to Jon. Whether it was about Jon coming to save them immediately, or that Jon is end-game (which is what they were talking about) doesn't really matter. I think it was just a visual representing Jon's possibility of being AA/tPtwP, seeing as the show doesn't have much in the way of symbolism hinting at his parentage.

Or maybe the show writers thought it would look cool. :dunno:

I took it a bit differently than you guys apparently....

When Meera asks him about how -they- will know it's the end, he looks at his hand on fire, and says that you'll know...

I took this to mean:

1. Jojen and Meera die together.

2. They die by way of fire, while alive, so they are aware of the fact that they are set on fire (IE not undead zombies)

3. By virtue of being burned to death, I don't think there will be anything to make a paste with, unless the ashes are mixed with paste...

My first thought when seeing his hand aflame (through his own eyes, not the others ... the others couldn't see the flame) is that the size of the flame is an indication of his life essence ... his spirit if you will. The greater the flame, the more life he has. When the flame begins to decrease in size, it means his life force is becoming diminished.

Archived