(Book spoilers) So the Lannister gold has dried up?

Mr Smith

In a way Robb did get his vengeance. The Lannisters aren't dead, but he helped put the drain on their resources and thus the blood of their dynasty. If only he had lived a little longer, Tywin can ony hide the Lannisters state for so long.

It will all go to shit for non book readers when Tywin dies and Cersei goes into full idiot paranoid mode.

it is already going to shit, Stannis is already applying for a loan. Cersei won't have to be dumb/incompetant because the Lannisters were already in dire trouble.

Correct me if I am wrong but Robb, in his campaign of the west, captures the gold mines of Nunn's Deep, Pendric Hills and Castamere(which we know is directly controlled by the Lannisters) - so if all of these were dry wouldn't Robb/BF know and remark on the Lannister's lack of gold??

I think I agree, this scene basically made the Lannisters look like losers to me.

But what's the problem with that? If there is a constant in ASOIAF is that people is never what they seem to be.

Jaime, the handsome knight in a golden armor = asshole

Sandor, the gruesome ugly man who scares little girls = actually tries to protect one

Cersei, golden beautiful Queen = crazy as fuck.

The Lannisters, rich and powerful = broke.

Correct me if I am wrong but Robb, in his campaign of the west, captures the gold mines of Nunn's Deep, Pendric Hills and Castamere(which we know is directly controlled by the Lannisters) - so if all of these were dry wouldn't Robb/BF know and remark on the Lannister's lack of gold??

He probably figured that the Lannisters were keeping most of it's gold at Casterly Rock or at least really close to it.

But what's the problem with that? If there is a constant in ASOIAF is that people is never what they seem to be.

Jaime, the handsome knight in a golden armor = asshole

Sandor, the gruesome ugly man who scares little girls = actually tries to protect one

Cersei, golden beautiful Queen = crazy as fuck.

The Lannisters, rich and powerful = broke.

Because I would prefer that Robb wasn't defeated by losers. :P

it is already going to shit, Stannis is already applying for a loan. Cersei won't have to be dumb/incompetant because the Lannisters were already in dire trouble.

I am not convinced he will get his loan next week though. I think he may get rejected (or some half measure of some kind is taken) and Nestoris still goes to the Wall later. Stannis doesn't really have any collateral and the Lannisters haven't defaulted yet. More heavy foreshadowing for whats going to happen, while giving Stannis' plot some actual movement.

So I think he gets rejected next week, but the door is left open for when he eventually gets approved.

I think it also plays into the idea of power and the lies the realm is held up by theme that the show has pushed. The kingdoms are held together by the lie that the Lannister's have endless supplies of riches and they always pay their debts. The irony that it starts to come crashing down because they actually DON'T pay their debts is rather fun IMO.

How the Lannisters bankruptcy is going to affect Tyrion storyline later on, when he is "hiring" Second Sons with the gold of Casterly Rock?

Interesting point since apparently news travels very quickly in GoTland. So by that time people should know the Lannisters are not that rich.

How the Lannisters bankruptcy is going to affect Tyrion storyline later on, when he is "hiring" Second Sons with the gold of Casterly Rock?

Depends on where that storyline ends up I imagine. Tyrion won't know about the gold drying up odds are, and I don't think the rest of the world will know until the Iron Bank comes to collect, if even.

Whatever player Tyrion finally ends up behind could decide to honor the crown's debts to the Lannisters if it comes to that;

Just because the gold mines dried up, doesn't mean the Lannisters are broke. Tywin is thinking big picture, but I'm sure they probably have a large gold reserve and are actively collecting on debts owed to them by several parties (including the Crown). Three years is about the time frame of the show, so it's interesting that when all heck breaks loose, Tywin decides to get involved in continental politics after his self-imposed exile. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall and had spent the past 17/19 years investing/organizing/managing the dwindling mines in order to keep the Westerlands profitable.

Plus, with the war on, people might not bat an eye if the Westerlands cease minting for a while and instead fortify their borders and plump up their armies instead. I'm sure it's an open secret that some of the gold mines have dried up, but only Tywin and his closest financial advisors would know the full scope of what's going on financially at Casterly Rock.

This. With everything going on in Westeros now, I think the Lannisters' gold mines are the last thing people are worried about. Plus no more income does not equal poor/broke. At least not immediately. It certainly explains why Tywin is so eager for an alliance with the Tyrell's.

It should also be noted that this entire Iron Bank story line has not been played out in the book. It could in fact be the case that the Lannister mines have ran dry in the books. In fact, I think I remember a passive mention in one of the books, to the effect of "it is rumored that the mines below Casterly Rock still produce gold to this day." That is to say, it would actually be a revealing surprise if the show explicitly said they DID still produce gold.

Exactly. Maybe this is something that will come up in TWOW or ADOS? Either way, it certainly made for stunning TV. I had not been expecting that, but it certainly makes a lot the Lannisters' actions look a lot more plausible.

This. With everything going on in Westeros now, I think the Lannisters' gold mines are the last thing people are worried about. Plus no more income does not equal poor/broke. At least not immediately. It certainly explains why Tywin is so eager for an alliance with the Tyrell's.

Exactly. Maybe this is something that will come up in TWOW or ADOS? Either way, it certainly made for stunning TV. I had not been expecting that, but it certainly makes a lot the Lannisters' actions look a lot more plausible.

Exactly, running a government isn't the same as running a personal account. You can run a government on a deficit, it just isn't sustainable, especially if the people decide to collect at once (which is exactly what will happen).

The thing is the show emphasized too much the Lannister gold, without mentioning that the Reach actually have more productive resources and are quite wealthy themselves. Lannisters would be like owning 1 trillion dollars, whereas the reach is like owning the 10 largest corporations of the world.

Exactly, running a government isn't the same as running a personal account. You can run a government on a deficit, it just isn't sustainable, especially if the people decide to collect at once (which is exactly what will happen).

The Iron Throne's debt is the personal debt of the King.

Archived