Small questions v.10080

Angalin

So the secrets of Valyrian steel are lost and can't be replicated.

What's up with Maester's that study magic and forge a link of Valyrian steel?

It's a little nebulous, but we are told there are people who can still re-forge Valyrian Steel (including Tobho Mott who learned the art in Qohor.) I have no idea how this works, since we are told that regular fire can't melt Valyrian Steel. Magic is involved.

It's also possible the Citadel just has a supply of these links, and "forge" is used in the metaphorical sense, they "forge" it by earning it through learning. We know not many Maesters have these links and they could be recycled when Maesters die.

It's a little nebulous, but we are told there are people who can still re-forge Valyrian Steel (including Tobho Mott who learned the art in Qohor.) I have no idea how this works, since we are told that regular fire can't melt Valyrian Steel. Magic is involved.

It's also possible the Citadel just has a supply of these links, and "forge" is used in the metaphorical sense, they "forge" it by earning it through learning. We know not many Maesters have these links and they could be recycled when Maesters die.

Doesn't Tobho say he learned the spells?

afaik, only three characters have hints in the books :

Brienne with Dunk's shield

Hodor, Old Nan's great grandson, through Bran's vision

Small Paul with this quote from aSoS Prologue :

"I don't want to hurt no bird," the big man said. "But that's a talking bird. What if he tells what he did?"

Lark the Sisterman laughed. "Small Paul, thick as a castle wall," he mocked.

I never picked up on Small Paul. Are there any other clues?

Doesn't Tobho say he learned the spells?

He tells Ned as much:

Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

Perhaps he meant it took spells to remake them, as opposed to, he knows the spells to make them. If he did he'd be the richest armorer in Westeros.

But some readers speculate about our favorite dogs...

Yeah, I know, but there are theories about all kinds of stuff, and I thought that about Meris, I'd find at least one person, who thinks it's possible. As I said, sad emoticon :(

He tells Ned as much:

Perhaps he meant it took spells to remake them, as opposed to, he knows the spells to make them. If he did he'd be the richest armorer in Westeros.

Double post, sorry, but I think he feeds them bullshit. He is a businessman, of course. It was said by Martin that maesters do reforge existing Valyrian steel for the chains, and they certainly don't use/believe in spells. I think it's just a specific skill that is hard, but no spells are involved (reforging).

Double post, sorry, but I think he feeds them bullshit. He is a businessman, of course. It was said by Martin that maesters do reforge existing Valyrian steel for the chains, and they certainly don't use/believe in spells. I think it's just a specific skill that is hard, but no spells are involved (reforging).

I think you're right there is an SSM where someone asks GRRM if Gendry learned to reforge VS from Tobho Mott and he doesn't give definite answer so it's likely just technique rather than magic. Or it could be that that is just one of those parts that he wrote before he had everything hammered out in his head.(pun intended) :)

I think you're right there is an SSM where someone asks GRRM if Gendry learned to reforge VS from Tobho Mott and he doesn't give definite answer so it's likely just technique rather than magic. Or it could be that that is just one of those parts that he wrote before he had everything hammered out in his head.(pun intended) :)

It was something like "If there is no Valyrian steel left, how do maester get their VS on their chains?" And he was like, "You think you got me, right? They reforge them, it's not the same as forging them from scracth" ;)

This may not be a small question, and I haven't had a chance to look at all the threads yet, but...

Is it definitively stated that Jojen Reed is dead? Jojen paste theory aside, I don't remember it being said one way or another in Bran's chapters, just that he was ill and fading.

I've only read the books once, though, and fully admit that I could have missed something.

This may not be a small question, and I haven't had a chance to look at all the threads yet, but...

Is it definitively stated that Jojen Reed is dead? Jojen paste theory aside, I don't remember it being said one way or another in Bran's chapters, just that he was ill and fading.

I've only read the books once, though, and fully admit that I could have missed something.

Theories aside, there's no indication in the text that he is dead. He's listed as alive in the appendix.

I actually read Jojen paste theory before I read Dance (I know I know, spoilers..:( ) so was rather disappointed when I read the chapter and saw none of said clues. As far as I am concerned, Jojen and Meera were simply off exploring, nothing unusual with that

As an aside Elio and Linda, in response to a crackpot, made a mention of HoBran and Brandor last night on Thronecast. You all deserve to hear this :rofl:

He tells Ned as much:

I'm certain remaking was what was meant here.

And even if he did know how to make them, he would need the right kind of steel for that, and that was lost when Valyria was lost.

Tobho Mott is the guy who reforged Ice, so I'm pretty sure he isn't just all talks, and actually knows what he is doing :)

As to the maesters chain. The Valyrian link does not need to be changed. It can be left the way it was, with people attaching other links to it (if you understand what I mean). That would require no work on the Valyrian Steel, and would allow you to add it to your chain. Instead of opening up (for lack of a better word) the Valyrian Steel link, you open up the two links that need to be on the opposite sites of the Valyrian link, place them in the Valyrian link, and hammer/do-whatever-is-needed to shut them close again, and voilà.. a chain with a Valyrian Steel link.

Perhaps if you explain why you think that Pretty Meris is a descendant of Dunks..?

I'm certain remaking was what was meant here.

And even if he did know how to make them, he would need the right kind of steel for that, and that was lost when Valyria was lost.

Tobho Mott is the guy who reforged Ice, so I'm pretty sure he isn't just all talks, and actually knows what he is doing :)

As to the maesters chain. The Valyrian link does not need to be changed. It can be left the way it was, with people attaching other links to it (if you understand what I mean). That would require no work on the Valyrian Steel, and would allow you to add it to your chain. Instead of opening up (for lack of a better word) the Valyrian Steel link, you open up the two links that need to be on the opposite sites of the Valyrian link, place them in the Valyrian link, and hammer/do-whatever-is-needed to shut them close again, and voilà.. a chain with a Valyrian Steel link.

Nothing really about Meris, only that she is from Westeros, and her height matches.

About Tobho - I never meant that he's all talk, only that the magic part is bull. "He knows the spells" and what not. I claim that there are no spells involved in reforging VS.

Save for Brienne do we have any other candidates on who Dunk's descendant might be?

Besides Brienne, Hodor other candidates include but not limited to The Mountain and the Hound (which I don't really see other then height) Erryk and Arryk ( aka Left and Right) Q of T's guards.

Okay, I'm seeing shots of a GoT graphic novel online, are these legit or fan-created? It looks like it is based on the show more than the book.

I am not sure what you saw, but the official GoT comic book (written by Daniel Abraham) is MUCH closer to the books than the series. Tyrion has missmatches eyes and does sommersaults, Theon has long dark hair, Targs have purple eyes, etc.

Archived