Small questions v.10080

Angalin

And in the asoiaf-present time stories, an example of stories about people's nature, and the actual nature of those people, are the rumours about Daenerys (which, for as far as we read in her POVs, totally not true :P )

The stories told about Bloodraven seem to be the same kind of stories, fitting in with the situation in the Seven Kingdoms from that moment.

I think Bloodraven may have actually encouraged them in his case though:

"Then I remembered this one time I heard my father talking about something Lord Bloodraven said, about how it was better to be frightening than frightened, so I told them that my father had sent us here to spy for him, that he was on his way here with an army, that His Lordship had best release me and give up this treason, or it would mean his head." He smiled a shy smile. "It worked better than I thought it would, ser."

In other words Mystery Knight Spoiler:

People would be more likely to pick a fight with Maynard Plumm, than they would with Bloodraven. ;)

I think Bloodraven may have actually encouraged them in his case though:

Very much possible. Though perhaps he did not encourage all of them.. I doubt he would want people to be calling him a kinslayer and such blaming him for the deaths of monarchs and those who would have been monarchs (they were blaming him for the still births of Valarrs sons)

Very much possible. Though perhaps he did not encourage all of them.. I doubt he would want people to be calling him a kinslayer and such blaming him for the deaths of monarchs and those who would have been monarchs (they were blaming him for the still births of Valarrs sons)

Well, not to that extreme, no. But you have to take the bad with the worse I guess.

Just to add to what RT said, in the Sworn Sword, GRRM seems to be painting us a picture of this seemingly sinister character, yet The Mystery Knight comes out and shows us someone wholly different from what the smallfolk say. It's just a way of showing that what characters in the stories think about someone is not always a perfect representation of who(or what) that person really is. :)

Says him. I still think the dude is creepy. And i fear for Jojen. But I'm more of the ignorant peasant type. :)

Says him. I still think the dude is creepy. And i fear for Jojen. But I'm more of the ignorant peasant type. :)

I merely meant in general, like Robb's warg army, what we hear through one character is not necessarily an accurate potrayal of a particular situation. Though direwolf riding wargs would definitely have been awesome :)

I merely meant in general, like Robb's warg army, what we hear through one character is not necessarily an accurate potrayal of a particular situation. Though direwolf riding wargs would definitely have been awesome :)

But there is truth (of the sort one finds in a fantasy fiction) in those rumors. I think it's more likely than not that Robb was warging Grey Wind.

But there is truth (of the sort one finds in a fantasy fiction) in those rumors. I think it's more likely than not that Robb was warging Grey Wind.

True, maybe Bloodraven was warging some of those random birds mentioned in D&E(I can hope anyway) :)

Do we know why the Gold Cloaks apparently never returned for Gendry?

Perhaps, if they had had enough time, they would have come across Yoren and his group again. But Yoren and his group were caught by Lannsiter men rather quickly after the encounter, and that's when Gendry disappeared, for them at least (not for us, since Arya disappeared with him, and we have Arya POVs)

Is Brienne's surname Tarth? Selwyn Tarth is referred to as Selwyn Tarth but Brienne is called Brienne of Tarth. I never understood why.

Yeah her surname is Tarth, but Tarth is also the island. So it could go either way.

Is Brienne's surname Tarth? Selwyn Tarth is referred to as Selwyn Tarth but Brienne is called Brienne of Tarth. I never understood why.

According to recent additions to the wiki, Brienne's app entry is Brienne Tarth. The island, like RumHam said, is also called Tarth, so probably, the term "Brienne of Tarth" refers to the fact that Brienne is from the island Tarth.

Regarding Brienne of Tarth:

It seeems to be a trend that kinghts who are known primarily for their knightly feats, instead of for their noble status, are widely know by their name plus a "the ..." or a "of ..."

We have Duncan the Tall, Barristan the Bold, Bonifer the Good,...., and then Arlan of Pennytree, Donnel of Duskendale, Patreck of King's Mountain, Malegorn of Redpool, Kennos of Kayce,...

I suppose the name Brienne of Tarth (and Brienne the Beauty/Brienne the Blue) tries to highlight her "knight-like" attitude.

In ACoK, when Stannis reveals the twincest and the Small Council gets the raven, there is a meeting:

“Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest,” Littlefinger reminded them.

Which red priest was that?

In ACoK, when Stannis reveals the twincest and the Small Council gets the raven, there is a meeting:

“Varys told us some years past that Lady Selyse had taken up with a red priest,” Littlefinger reminded them.

Can't it be Melisandre?

Melisandre, isn't it? (Priest being gender-neutral in this sense) She used Selyse to get close to Stannis and didn't get much influence on him until the recent times.

I think many of us are familiar with the tale of how Orys Baratheon (Aegon I's bastard brother) became the first Storm Lord, but I'll recap: Orys slew Argilac the Arrogant, the last Storm King. After the battle, Argella Durrandon, the daughter of Argilac, declared herself the Storm Queen and continued to hold Storm's End until her household turned against her to avoid the same fate as Harrenhal. They delivered her to Orys, naked and chained. Orys, however, covered her with his cloak and treated her chivalrously. So my question is: Is that how the wedding cloak became a custom in Westeros in the faith of the Seven? Or did it predate the invasion? Really weird and not really important, but I'm curious none-the-less.

That would be Melissandre indeed.. There are no other Red Priests at Dragonstone :)

I think many of us are familiar with the tale of how Orys Baratheon (Aegon I's bastard brother) became the first Storm Lord, but I'll recap: Orys slew Argilac the Arrogant, the last Storm King. After the battle, Argella Durrandon, the daughter of Argilac, declared herself the Storm Queen and continued to hold Storm's End until her household turned against her to avoid the same fate as Harrenhal. They delivered her to Orys, naked and chained. Orys, however, covered her with his cloak and treated her chivalrously. So my question is: Is that how the wedding cloak became a custom in Westeros in the faith of the Seven? Or did it predate the invasion? Really weird and not really important, but I'm curious none-the-less.

I doubt that the Seven took up a costum that was used by one man who had only recently joined their faith. The Faith rebelled after Aegon I died, so why would they do something that Aegon's bastard half-brother did?

Naked, Argella had lost all her power, similar to how Cersei has lost hers after her walk of shame, as Kevan remembers. In clothes, Cersei had been a goddess, but naked, the small folk could see how she was nothing other then them. Perhaps for Argella it was the same, and by cloaking her, Orys restored (part of) her honour.

Without knowing of any marriages in detail that were made before the Conquest, we of course can't be certain. But it seems highly unlikely that Orys caused that..

I doubt that the Seven took up a costum that was used by one man who had only recently joined their faith. The Faith rebelled after Aegon I died, so why would they do something that Aegon's bastard half-brother did?

After the conquest the Faith supported Aegon's claim, which is why he was crowned by the Faith in the Sept at Oldtown, and it was from that date he counted his reign. Wasn't it just the Warrior's Sons and Poor Fellows who lead the rebellion along with a few disgruntled Lords who thought that Aenys wasn't fit to rule because he was born of incest? Then Maegar the Cruel succeeded Aenys and disbanded them a put a bounty on their heads. I didn't realize it was the Faith as a whole that opposed their rule.

Archived