Small questions v.10080

Angalin

After the conquest the Faith supported Aegon's claim, which is why he was crowned by the Faith in the Sept at Oldtown, and it was from that date he counted his reign. Wasn't it just the Warrior's Sons and Poor Fellows who lead the rebellion along with a few disgruntled Lords who thought that Aenys wasn't fit to rule because he was born of incest? Then Maegar the Cruel succeeded Aenys and disbanded them a put a bounty on their heads. I didn't realize it was the Faith as a whole that opposed their rule.

The Targaryens were practicing incest for god knows how long before Aegon married his sisters. So he's still sorta born of incest even though his mother was a Velaryon. I would bet that they just saw Aegon's death as an opportunity. Both because they viewed Aenys as weak and because Balerion was riderless.

“I have felt from the beginning that Stannis was a greater danger than all the others combined. Yet he does nothing. Oh, Varys hears his whispers. Stannis is building ships, Stannis is hiring sellswords, Stannis is bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai. What does it mean? Is any of it true?”

This is from ACoK. Is Tywin referring to an old report or did Mel come not long before the comet? Besides, there is difference between a red priest and a shadowbinder from Asshai.

After the conquest the Faith supported Aegon's claim, which is why he was crowned by the Faith in the Sept at Oldtown, and it was from that date he counted his reign. Wasn't it just the Warrior's Sons and Poor Fellows who lead the rebellion along with a few disgruntled Lords who thought that Aenys wasn't fit to rule because he was born of incest? Then Maegar the Cruel succeeded Aenys and disbanded them a put a bounty on their heads. I didn't realize it was the Faith as a whole that opposed their rule.

The war was called the Faith Millitant uprising. Of course the priests and such didn't fight themselves, the Faith has fighting orders for that, but they supported the rebellion fully, drawin back their support from the Targaryens. Aegon had died, Rhaenys was dead, Balerion had no rider, Meraxes was no longer alive, and on the throne sat a weak King.

I can even vaguely recall Maegor mounting his dragon (in the beginning of his own reign) , mounting his dragon (Balerion) and burning the members of the Faith in KL in the sept they used back then alive... That was from a reading, IIRC.

I doubt that the Seven took up a costum that was used by one man who had only recently joined their faith. The Faith rebelled after Aegon I died, so why would they do something that Aegon's bastard half-brother did?

Without knowing of any marriages in detail that were made before the Conquest, we of course can't be certain. But it seems highly unlikely that Orys caused that..

It's not uncommon for a religion to pick up customs from other religions or particular places. After all, to give an example, pagan's symbols are nowadays accepted as part of the christian religion. It could be that after that moment, other knights started to imitate Orys, and slowly became part of the marriege act, as a symbol of respect and protection to the bride.

But that's just speculation, because as you said, until Martin provides us more info, we can't be sure of anything.

Regarding Brienne of Tarth:

It seeems to be a trend that kinghts who are known primarily for their knightly feats, instead of for their noble status, are widely know by their name plus a "the ..." or a "of ..."

We have Duncan the Tall, Barristan the Bold, Bonifer the Good,...., and then Arlan of Pennytree, Donnel of Duskendale, Patreck of King's Mountain, Malegorn of Redpool, Kennos of Kayce,...

I suppose the name Brienne of Tarth (and Brienne the Beauty/Brienne the Blue) tries to highlight her "knight-like" attitude.

I think that in GoT Tyrion is called My Lord of Lannister. Maybe Brienne of Tarth is just the short version of My Lady (Brienne) of Tarth. But it also makes sense that she's called like that as other knights are called after their hometown.

I have felt from the beginning that Stannis was a greater danger than all the others combined. Yet he does nothing. Oh, Varys hears his whispers. Stannis is building ships, Stannis is hiring sellswords, Stannis is bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai. What does it mean? Is any of it true?

This is from ACoK. Is Tywin referring to an old report or did Mel come not long before the comet? Besides, there is difference between a red priest and a shadowbinder from Asshai.
But Mel is both.

But Mel is both.

Exactly. Besides, we learn from Varys that the priest Selyse had taken up several years ago, now also has Stannis as a supporter, showing us that the mentioned priest is, in fact, Melissandre.

“I have felt from the beginning that Stannis was a greater danger than all the others combined. Yet he does nothing. Oh, Varys hears his whispers. Stannis is building ships, Stannis is hiring sellswords, Stannis is bringing a shadowbinder from Asshai. What does it mean? Is any of it true?”

Just curious, which chapter is this passage in ? I want to take a closer look, but I can't seem to find it.

Exactly. Besides, we learn from Varys that the priest Selyse had taken up several years ago, now also has Stannis as a supporter, showing us that the mentioned priest is, in fact, Melissandre.

Just curious, which chapter is this passage in ? I want to take a closer look, but I can't seem to find it.

One of the last Tyrion chapters in Game.

If Lysa is supposed to have forbidden the Knights of the Vale entering the Hand's Tourney, then how did Yohn Royce and his sons enter?

Also, what is Yohn Royce's heir called? I only remember Robar and Waymar.

If Lysa is supposed to have forbidden the Knights of the Vale entering the Hand's Tourney, then how did Yohn Royce and his sons enter?

Also, what is Yohn Royce's heir called? I only remember Robar and Waymar.

I don't recall this. I only recall Lysa forbidding the Vale from joining Robb. Yohn Royce's heir is Ser Andar.

I don't recall this. I only recall Lysa forbidding the Vale from joining Robb. Yohn Royce's heir is Ser Andar.

Its in... Catelyn IV, A Game of Thrones I think. Tje chapter where she arrives at the Vale.anyway. Brynden tells her that Lysa forbade the Knights of the Vale entering the tourney because she wanted them.close to home.

Thanks you, I keep thinking that Albar (Nestor Royce's heoir) is thr same person as Andar Royce (Yohn Royce's heir.) :p

Its in... Catelyn IV, A Game of Thrones I think. Tje chapter where she arrives at the Vale.anyway. Brynden tells her that Lysa forbade the Knights of the Vale entering the tourney because she wanted them.close to home.

Yep. You're right.

Bronze Yohn probably just ignored Lysa's orders. It was only him and his two sons at the tourney. Can't remember if any other knights from the Vale attended.

Yep. You're right.

Bronze Yohn probably just ignored Lysa's orders. It was only him and his two sons at the tourney. Can't remember if any other knights from the Vale attended.

There was Ser Hugh, of whom no songs would be sung, but he'd already stayed behind when Lysa took everyone else back to the Eyrie.

It is known that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Could a Karstark fulfill this role?

Such as Alys if she has to retreat there from the others

Mmm... No. I don't think so. But then again if that's the best you can do, that's the best you can do.

We know that Daemon Targaryen (Rheanyra's husband during Dance of Dragons) had Dark Sister. How about Blackfyre during Dance of Dragons? I don't think it was mentioned in tPatQ, but it would make sense that Aegon II had it, if it is supposed to go from king to king. Or did Rhaenyra had it, since she was technically Heir to the Iron Throne?

Archived