Small questions v.10080

Angalin

But even if it is not known by the grand public, it is still known by someone no? I mean there has to be some people questioning why three kings guard were there. I just find it very strange considering that this whole story is very much on spies and scheming and eyes everywhere for the most part, that something such as this would go completely unnoticed by everyone and no one questions it? I mean we know so much about everything else but this. Very strange.

But even if it is not known by the grand public, it is still known by someone no? I mean there has to be some people questioning why three kings guard were there. I just find it very strange considering that this whole story is very much on spies and scheming and eyes everywhere for the most part, that something such as this would go completely unnoticed by everyone and no one questions it? I mean we know so much about everything else but this. Very strange.

Guarding the price of Prince Rhaegar, who had been raping her, according to Robert ? ;)

The only people who knew/know was Ned and Howland. Also, we don't know what story, if any, Ned gave to Robert and/or Barristan concerning the three KG. If you wish to have a more in-depth discussion regarding this I think you would be better served posting your question(s) in the R+L=J pinned topic.

If Ned reports back that they 'died in battle, on the border of Dorne' or some such, who would question the honorable and truthful Lord of Winterfell? For that matter, who is there to question?

No one in the books besides Ned refers to it as the ToJ; as far as we know, no one even knows that there was a tower involved.

Lastly, the nature of the POV of books, 3rd person limited, any number of people might have thought about it, we just don't know.

Jaime, Cersei, and Barristan are possible POVs to bring it up in the future.

It was public knowledge...

Ned would not speak of the mother, not so much as a word, but a castle has no secrets, and Catelyn heard her maids repeating tales they heard from the lips of her husband's soldiers. They whispered of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, deadliest of the seven knights of Aerys's Kingsguard, and of how their young lord had slain him in single combat. And they told how afterward Ned had carried Ser Arthur's sword back to the beautiful young sister who awaited him in a castle called Starfall on the shores of the SummerSea. The Lady Ashara Dayne, tall and fair, with haunting violet eyes.

Do any houses have green and silver colors?

Re-reading The Mystery Knight and the mention of green and silver just reminded me of your question. Not exactly a house, but a hedge knight :

Ser Uthor [underleaf] wore green enamel plate and silvery chain mail. Streamers of green and grey silk flowed from his rounded bascinet, and his green shield bore a silver snail.

Something that keeps nagging at me every time I read the books is this:

When Jon sends Val beyond the Wall to look for Tormund and his people, Val is described as having grey eyes; but at her return, her eyes are blue. Also Tormund tells Jon how the Whigts have been following them and killing some of the wildings, however, Val just made the same journey, in reverse, by herself, without any "problem". What's up with Val?

When Jon sends Val beyond the Wall to look for Tormund and his people, Val is described as having grey eyes; but at her return, her eyes are blue. Also Tormund tells Jon how the Whigts have been following them and killing some of the wildings, however, Val just made the same journey, in reverse, by herself, without any "problem". What's up with Val?

George has stated this was just a mistake I believe, but it doesn't seem to be in the SSM, I'll keep looking though.

edt It has been discussed before if you're interested HERE

IIRC, Martin said that sometimes he forgets details as eye colour, and his notes get messed up.

Regarding Val's ability to return to the Wall in due time and without any problem, is open to discussion. Here is a thread about a theory.

I'm a little rusty on the religions. Are there "heavens" for the various religions, or things like it?

In the seven's faith there are seven hells... So I suppose there are seven paradises :dunno:

Acording to HBO!Mel, the only hell is the one we're living in, so I guess after being purified by fire, you get to share your time in heaven with R'hllor.

As to the old gods, there's a kind of after life for skinchangers, so I have no idea where do they stand in this matter.

According to the HoBaW, after the God of Many Names gives you the gift, you get relief. So whether your relief comes from the finality of death, or because your soul is sent somewhere else, it depends on you.

You do mean in the story? I have not read anything that said anyone in story ask any question like that. Remember that the Battle of the Trident, Sack of Kingslanding, and the Siege of Storms End were all happening about the same time, spread over half the kingdoms.

It was public knowledge...

It was public knowledge that Ned had defeated SoM Dayne, but nothing says anyone (not there) knew of the ToJ.

You may want to check out the Heresy threads.

If that was true, Val wouldn't have passed through the wall

Did We ever learn the name of Lord Tytos' "common woman" that Tywin ordered to perform the walk of shame to the docks of Lannisport?

After Arya saves Jaqen, Rorge and Biter from the fire (Amory Lorch is at the gates when Yoren is taking them to the Wall) and Jaqen confronts her at Harrenhal, he says something about "The Red God must have his due," or something like that.

Just seems like an odd choice of words, excepting the fact that they were about to get burned, of course. But if Arya had saved them from being beheaded, would he have said the Warrior must have his due, or whatever? Am I missing something that you wiser ones didn't?

Did We ever learn the name of Lord Tytos' "common woman" that Tywin ordered to perform the walk of shame to the docks of Lannisport?

After Arya saves Jaqen, Rorge and Biter from the fire (Amory Lorch is at the gates when Yoren is taking them to the Wall) and Jaqen confronts her at Harrenhal, he says something about "The Red God must have his due," or something like that.

Just seems like an odd choice of words, excepting the fact that they were about to get burned, of course. But if Arya had saved them from being beheaded, would he have said the Warrior must have his due, or whatever? Am I missing something that you wiser ones didn't?

We don't know the name of Tytos' lover, nor the name of his wife, yet.

Jaqen seems to follow the Red God, to whom you sacrifice by burning someone. Jaqen and the other two would have burned, had Arya not saves them. Jaqen must have believed that the dire was the work of the Red God, and that Arya had taken three deaths from the Red God, and those should thus be returned.

Had it happened any other way (without fire) Jaqen most likely would have responded very differently

Does anyone know where the discussion on controversial character vs. controversial chapter for Sansa's Winds chapter was discussed? Or even better, whether a real conclusion was reached?

*bump*

Archived