Vikings #4, On to Season 3

Black Wolf Smith

To be fair to the character of Ragnar as he is portrayed on Vikings (he's a fictional composite, it seems, in the legends) -- he didn't start with having a lot of servants and slaves. In season one, at the very beginning it was him, Lagertha and their two children. His first slave was Athelstan, from that first, Lindisfarne raid and burning, as well as the other booty to which he was entitled, of which Earl Haraldson steals by far the greatest portion.

The early Romans also prided themselves on having warrior skill as well as being farmers. It's not in the least unknown in such ages, when getting land to produce was at least equally important as defending it. Without each person having land in production nobody was going to eat. Stores were few and far between, and somebody had to produce whatever was sold in markets.

• 4 weeks later...

And the degree of historical work put into the show is amazing !

Each scene is very pedagogic and teaches a lot about vikings, their culture, their ships, their religions, the politics of England, the way people look at their past, etc, etc without ever drowning the plot and the characters.

It's definitly an amazing TV show in my opinion !

Now, if Katheryn Winnick could just sneak away from the set a couple of weeks to come and play Val, it'd be perfect.

Or... she's welcome to sneak away and come to my house anyday ! ^^

What amazes me about this show, is that its on the History channel... it's nice to know good original programming can come from just about anywhere.

Yes, and we haven't seen a sign of either Hitler or monument building aliens yet. Hopefully season 3 stays strong.

And the degree of historical work put into the show is amazing !

Each scene is very pedagogic and teaches a lot about vikings, their culture, their ships, their religions, the politics of England, the way people look at their past, etc, etc without ever drowning the plot and the characters.

It's definitly an amazing TV show in my opinion !

Now, if Katheryn Winnick could just sneak away from the set a couple of weeks to come and play Val, it'd be perfect.

Or... she's welcome to sneak away and come to my house anyday ! ^^

It is important to note that a lot of what they teach is wrong, though. You should look at this show more as entertainment than a history lesson, even if they do make a better effort with the history part than what for example Hollywood tends to do.

I wouldnt say it is wrong but it is romanticized. It's up to the viewer to filter everything.

But as a Metalhead I've long been fascinated by Nordic, Celt and Germanic folklore and lore so I'm usually able to spot the simplifications and deviations in the Vikings culture.

I wouldnt say it is wrong but it is romanticized. It's up to the viewer to filter everything.

But as a Metalhead I've long been fascinated by Nordic, Celt and Germanic folklore and lore so I'm usually able to spot the simplifications and deviations in the Vikings culture.

Nah, a lot of stuff is plain wrong. Like the depiction of Anglo Saxon society, Norse political life, how people dressed both during peace and war (hint: not like parkbench alcoholics as in Vikings) the battle scenes are stupid, and so on. The environment is also hilariously wrong for where the story takes place, but that at least can be somewhat excused because there were other Vikings who lived in areas that looked like that. As for the other stuff it is not romanticized, because it is often actually much less cool than it should be.

The religion is where they make the most effort I would say, though even there they make some strange decisions. The episode at Uppsala must have been as much of a mushroom trip for the directors as for the TV characters, that's the only way to explain it...

The show is on History Channel. Not sure if you're familiar with that particular channel.

Yeah. Basically, History Channel in the past was fixated first with Hitler, and then later with "Ancient Aliens" being responsible for building various impressive buildings around the world. Like the Pyramids.

One episode of Ancient Aliens i particularly remember was where they did a History Channel super-combo and claimed that Hitler was helped by nazi sympathizing aliens during WW2. Hence why the Nazis had awesome space age military technology like... slightly better machine guns, cool uniforms, and big tanks that broke down all the time. Looks like the entire episode is on youtube actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7kcWt02fnk

Anyway, what this means is that "Vikings" is much better than what has come out of History Channel in the past.

Nah, a lot of stuff is plain wrong. Like the depiction of Anglo Saxon society, Norse political life, how people dressed both during peace and war (hint: not like parkbench alcoholics as in Vikings) the battle scenes are stupid, and so on. The environment is also hilariously wrong for where the story takes place, but that at least can be somewhat excused because there were other Vikings who lived in areas that looked like that. As for the other stuff it is not romanticized, because it is often actually much less cool than it should be.

The religion is where they make the most effort I would say, though even there they make some strange decisions. The episode at Uppsala must have been as much of a mushroom trip for the directors as for the TV characters, that's the only way to explain it...

Any specific examples of how they what would be right if the things you listed on the show are wrong? Sincere question as I really would like to know the differences and how we know them for that matter.

Most the things I google (however accurate that tends to be) from the show actually seem fairly accurate for "as much as we know" about Vikings. Not that everything is right for that particular time and place though.

The trailer shows all our -- my? -- favorite characters, which indicates they all have important parts to play.

I want to see a whole episode of nothing but Legartha in her cloak, riding her white horse while the snow falls. I'm such a fantasist! :cheers:

Archived