[Book Spoilers] Missing Character

I hope they do a documentary/behind the scenes of why they changes some stuff for the show.

They may, but this one is easy to sum up: 10 hrs of screen time vs. 1,040 page novels. Anything that may be viewed as extraneous is on the chopping block.

He is on the island of misfit characters.....him, Belwas, patchface, gatehouse Ami, Benjen......oh wait, he disappeared in the damn books too!

Quoted for emphasis.

The only thing that has me clinging to hope is how long the show took to intro Sir Dantos' role...I just want to see Coldhands on screen. I guess GRRM told the show runners he doesn't have a further role in the books...

I wouldn't be surprised if the show becomes increasingly unhinged from the books. Not only are the show's departures from the books increasingly major, but the producers don't seem to be concerned about the virtually 100% certainty that the show will hit its allotted 7 seasons before the 7th book is finished.

Remember GRRM is a TV guy - he knows all about the way you change written material to fit it into a TV show. I'll bet he has in mind an alternate ending that would work for TV and that won't spoil the book ending at all. That's my prediction, anyway.

Even if I'm wrong about that, though, just because X happens in the show doesn't mean Y won't happen in the books. I definitely wouldn't rule out Coldhands playing a major role in the books just because he doesn't appear in the show (assuming he doesn't). (Personally, I always saw him as a bit part guy, but I could be wrong about that.)

I could've swore coldhands was cut...not sure if it's just for this season or all the way through. Maybe they are just holding back and will bring him in later...this is a huge cast so I can see them holding off until they absolutely introduce him.

Long shot here but I dont know if Rast was among the body burned at CK. Wonder if he'll come back as a wight.

Actually I wondered the same thing. My sense was that he had not. When someone counted dead bodies at CK and figured out it was Rast who was missing, they must have thought he'd gotten away, not knowing Ghost was even there, much less that he'd killed Rast. I always worry about dead unburned bodies. Weren't there 4 dead bodies at the end of ADWD that were stored down in the ice lockers under the Wall?

The one I miss from the show the most is Mormont's Raven, but I'm an animal lover first and foremost, so the missing Coldhands doesn't seem to bother me as much as some. What I wondered is, if he does show up, what'll the reaction be? The non-readers won't have had the years to delve into the mystery of CH the way the readers did, so I'd be more interested on 'reader reaction', myself.

For that reason alone, I can only hope he's going to make an appearance soon. ;)

I got suddenly VERY excited at the end of the episode when Rast was running away through the forest and we hear ravens, I was convinced we were going to see Coldhands then, and it would have been a cool introduction. But no :-(

I thought this exact thing! In fact while watching it with my non-reading wife, I said something like "I know who he's about to meet!" before Ghost showed up. Not that I minded seeing him die by direwolf bite of course.

Coldhands isn't missing, he's in the books where you can always go back and find him whenever you want.

thank you for that very helpful comment as it's not like any of us actually get excited or feel joy when one of favourite series of books is brought to screen, oh wait...

They aren't showing coldhands Because its Benjen Stark,on screen it would be so damn obvious

its him they are delaying it, before anyone says oh but the actor who plays Benjen Stark is not listed. They kept Kevin spacey's name

off the opening credits on the movie se7en to keep his characters Identity secret.It might just be a personal preference but it would be

such a crappy change to cut him from the story.

The one I miss from the show the most is Mormont's Raven [...]

This. I've always thought the raven said very relevant things.

Btw for those of you who believe in the CH=NK theory, we have effectively seen him, if HBO is to be believed.

I loved the raven in the books, but a talking bird would not have fit the tenor of the show any more than a cartwheeling circus freak who only speaks in rhyme always being in the same room with Stannis.

Archived