The future of Craster's wives

Queen Mothers of the Forest.

For all their troubles, the Others really do need to set them up with a palace.

Green, translucent crystal, with ice- tipped spires rising hundreds of feet.

Their past-time, weaving tapestry,

their threads, one hundred shades of color,

from the scalped hair of rapists through-out the Kingdoms.

Girl power.

I do think it's a little strange that Jon simply let them go. Somebody pointed this out in a thread on the imdb boards yesterday.

Going with the story, it's not unlikely that Karl and his men talked about what things would be like back at the wall, once the remainder got back, including a mention of the fact that there was hardly anybody left. Since preventing Karl and his men from telling Mance there's only 100 men left at the wall was the singular reason for Jon to go on his fieldtrip, it's not altogether unlikely that Craster's wives might have overheard something to the effect. It may have also been mentioned when Mormont was still alive. Since Craster's wives will almost certainly come across parts of the wildling army, it doesn't seem like a good idea to just let them go.

I do think it's a little strange that Jon simply let them go. Somebody pointed this out in a thread on the imdb boards yesterday.

Going with the story, it's not unlikely that Karl and his men talked about what things would be like back at the wall, once the remainder got back, including a mention of the fact that there was hardly anybody left. Since preventing Karl and his men from telling Mance there's only 100 men left at the wall was the singular reason for Jon to go on his fieldtrip, it's not altogether unlikely that Craster's wives might have overheard something to the effect. It may have also been mentioned when Mormont was still alive. Since Craster's wives will almost certainly come across parts of the wildling army, it doesn't seem like a good idea to just let them go.

Absolutely seconded.

As I see it, they basically have 2 choices - go south with Jon. Or try and find Mance.

But OMG, some of them have never left Crasters their whole lives! Even the rest has been living there for years with almost none contact (not for them at least) with the outside world. How would they know how to find Mance? It is ridiculous.

Not to mention that it seems blue-eyes are camping just around the corner, waiting for next baby boy to pop out. What is supposed to happen now, with NW gone and Crasters burnt to the ground? Are they just going for an easy trek through wilderness?

Another thing that annoyed me was the burning center pillar of the building, which is shown falling in the direction of bystanders and in the next moment there is nothing lying in front of the burning house. :D :D

It shows Jon respects wildlings and their choices.

Does anyone think they'll go to Hardhome, and the main one who was talking to Jon at the end is Mother Mole?

I hadn't considered this, but I think it is a perfect idea. I dont think it will be mentioned though until season 5 (if at all). With all of the recent changes and cuts, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hardhome gets the ax. By having Crastor's wives leave though, I think first, it shows Jon's respect, and second, it leaves the door open for Hardhome should HBO decide to use it later.

It shows Jon respects wildlings and their choices.

Exactly, good simple explanation. If Jon were to force those women to do anything against their will, then he's no better than the men they've already been abused / controlled by thus far.

He pretty much had to let them go or take them prisoner and the Night's Watch doesn't do that, it's not their job.

We may never hear of them again but I wonder if they will take the place of the wildling spearwives in the book and take up in one of the castles along the Wall. Mother Mole is another option...I hope they avoid Hardhome. Somehow I think Hardhome may not be a story line HBO adopts. Too much detail, not enough time, won't tie in with the main plot.

Logically they should all die within a few days.

They have never ventured far from Craster's Keep, which they just burned down. They are a group of women with no apparent militant training or survival skills. There is quite literally no people around outside of Mance's army, which they don't seem to want to go to. There is virtually no game around, and considering the Show version of North of the Wall is a permanently frozen wasteland, can't be much vegetation.

Their choosing to wander off into the wilderness instead of following their sister-wife/daughter/sister/aunt/niece to a nice ice-zombie free zone screams of the writers wanting this arc to exist in a bubble. With no lasting effects on anything they didn't design it to specifically do so.

But yeah, having her be Mother Mole would be a nice touch. I doubt they include that unless it is more important than it seems to be though.

I tried to glean some information that might be clues to whether or not Craster's lead wife would be turned into Mother Mole on the show. There's really not much info on the wiki about her - and what little we know about her - she was with Mance Rayder's army long before the wives of Craster would have gone out into the wilderness. Of course that doesn't prevent them from changing the story to match both women merged into one, they've done it before with characters on the show. Also, unless the whole Hardhome journey ends well (which we have no idea at the end of ADWD) then we have no idea if it would be important enough to even add that story to the show or not.

From the wiki:

Mother Mole is a wildling leader and woods witch who is given to prophecy.[1] She makes her home in a burrow beneath a hollow tree.[2]

Recent Events

A Dance with Dragons

After the defeat of Mance Rayder at the Battle of Castle Black, Mother Mole claims to have had a vision of a fleet of ships coming to carry the wildlings away to safety across the narrow sea.[2] Thousands of those who fled the battle are desperate enough to believe her. She and her followers go east.[1] Mother Mole is heard to preach that the free folk will find salvation where once they found damnation.

Mother Mole leads thousands of wildlings to Hardhome, to pray and await salvation from across the sea.

No survival skills? How do you think they have been surviving all that time if they didn't have any survival skills?

I don't think Craster did much in the way of "helping" his women run the place. I think it's more likely they managed everything themselves while he sat around being waited on hand and foot.

They will know how to hunt and cook, make shelter, build fires. They will know as much "first aid" as it's possible to know given the circumstances. All of this is stuff they will have needed to know in order to live their day to day lives at Craster's Keep.

Jon and the Nights Watch have no duty to protect them, no authority to make them go to Castle Black. And after what they have been through I doubt anything the white walkers or the others can do to them will scare them much. Death is just death and they've been through worse.

Whether they join with Mance or not, I like how the show left them. They are actually free for the first time in their lives.

my first thought was that they would be the first of the spearwives to get to Castle Black, but now that I think about it, they probably don't know how to fight. the wildling women are fighters, but it's not like these women have had any experience beyond homesteading at Craster's. (of course, one of them helped kill Karl, so maybe they do know something).

No survival skills? How do you think they have been surviving all that time if they didn't have any survival skills?

I don't think Craster did much in the way of "helping" his women run the place. I think it's more likely they managed everything themselves while he sat around being waited on hand and foot.

They will know how to hunt and cook, make shelter, build fires. They will know as much "first aid" as it's possible to know given the circumstances. All of this is stuff they will have needed to know in order to live their day to day lives at Craster's Keep.

Jon and the Nights Watch have no duty to protect them, no authority to make them go to Castle Black. And after what they have been through I doubt anything the white walkers or the others can do to them will scare them much. Death is just death and they've been through worse.

Whether they join with Mance or not, I like how the show left them. They are actually free for the first time in their lives.

Surviving horrific mental and physical torture doesn't equal an ability to hunt, forage, or survive on little to no food, water, rest, or heat.

I doubt Craster simply sat around. He must have been pretty fearsome considering he defends his keep and women from his fellow free folk.

They might know how to hunt, maybe. It would make more sense that Craster hunted given you don't give people you torture training on how to use weapons. This is ASOIAF so who knows. Hunting wasn't a necessity in summer either, Craster had livestock.

If I remember correctly, Gilly remarks on never being far from the Keep.

These women are not expierenced in life in the wilderness. Let alone in the awful conditions the land Beyond the Wall is on the show.

Archived