The future of Craster's wives

I tried to glean some information that might be clues to whether or not Craster's lead wife would be turned into Mother Mole on the show. There's really not much info on the wiki about her - and what little we know about her - she was with Mance Rayder's army long before the wives of Craster would have gone out into the wilderness. Of course that doesn't prevent them from changing the story to match both women merged into one, they've done it before with characters on the show. Also, unless the whole Hardhome journey ends well (which we have no idea at the end of ADWD) then we have no idea if it would be important enough to even add that story to the show or not.

From the wiki:

Mother Mole is a wildling leader and woods witch who is given to prophecy.[1] She makes her home in a burrow beneath a hollow tree.[2]

Recent Events

A Dance with Dragons

After the defeat of Mance Rayder at the Battle of Castle Black, Mother Mole claims to have had a vision of a fleet of ships coming to carry the wildlings away to safety across the narrow sea.[2] Thousands of those who fled the battle are desperate enough to believe her. She and her followers go east.[1] Mother Mole is heard to preach that the free folk will find salvation where once they found damnation.

Mother Mole leads thousands of wildlings to Hardhome, to pray and await salvation from across the sea.

Thank you for this, Envie!

Thank you for this, Envie!

You're welcome but it took more wiki reading for me to really remember what happened since the Mother Mole entry doesn't say much. I'm doing a re-read of ADWD now but haven't gotten to this part of it yet. Here's the information about Hardhome. I'd totally forgotten that after Mother Mole leads the wildlings there, things go terribly bad for them so lets hope Craster's wives are not in that bunch.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Hardhome

Am I the only one thinking they might be planning to travel north to meet the rest of their family? As in, their children and brothers? A bunch of really angry women, upset with all mankind, and connections with... royalty of some sort?

Did anyone notice that when Jon Snow and the NW descended upon Craster's keep at night all those heads on spikes?

I can't tell exactly, but they looked to be recently dead which means that they would have been some of Craster's wives.

As to the fate of the wives that lived they would, imho, make excellent spearwives.

I do think it's a little strange that Jon simply let them go. Somebody pointed this out in a thread on the imdb boards yesterday.

Going with the story, it's not unlikely that Karl and his men talked about what things would be like back at the wall, once the remainder got back, including a mention of the fact that there was hardly anybody left. Since preventing Karl and his men from telling Mance there's only 100 men left at the wall was the singular reason for Jon to go on his fieldtrip, it's not altogether unlikely that Craster's wives might have overheard something to the effect. It may have also been mentioned when Mormont was still alive. Since Craster's wives will almost certainly come across parts of the wildling army, it doesn't seem like a good idea to just let them go.

This. As much as I liked Jon respecting their choice not to let another man run their lives, I couldn't help but wonder whether letting anybody get out of CK alive was really such a good idea.

I hadn't considered this, but I think it is a perfect idea. I dont think it will be mentioned though until season 5 (if at all). With all of the recent changes and cuts, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hardhome gets the ax. By having Crastor's wives leave though, I think first, it shows Jon's respect, and second, it leaves the door open for Hardhome should HBO decide to use it later.

Agreed. If Hardhome is in, it's likely that they'll have made their way there. Barring that, they probably died in the wilderness (either getting killed by the White Walkers, the wildlife or the elements).

This. As much as I liked Jon respecting their choice not to let another man run their lives, I couldn't help but wonder whether letting anybody get out of CK alive was really such a good idea.

We're talking about Jon Snow here, Eddard Stark's son in all the ways that matter. There was no way he was going to do anything like capture or kill those women after all they had been through.

When faced with the ruthlessly pragmatic choice and the honorable one, it's pretty obvious which one he will choose.

Craster's wives might have a bargain with the white walkers, although I like the Mother Mole idea better, and the whole Hardhome subplot might be more important than some think. In Arya's Blind Beth chapter, she overhears sailors from Lys discussing the ships that were confiscated (along with their cargo of Hardhome slaves, who were freed) when storms drove them into Braavos. The sailors think more ships will be making for Hardhome because slaves are becoming more expensive and harder to find--ships from Lys, and likely Volantis. So the Hardhome wildlings will likely be rescued by slavers, not Jon, and end up as freedmen in Arya's and Dany's arcs, where they will perhaps transmit news of the Second Long Night and the Others to both Arya and Dany (who by then should have Tyrion on hand to confirm that Jorah's father sent a raven supporting this story back in season 2?). Having Mother Mole be played by the same actress as Craster's old wife would be a nice easter egg.

Then again, you just can't expect the show's inventions to hold up under scrutiny the way GRRM's plotting does, because they usually don't.

Craster's wives might have a bargain with the white walkers, although I like the Mother Mole idea better, and the whole Hardhome subplot might be more important than some think. In Arya's Blind Beth chapter, she overhears sailors from Lys discussing the ships that were confiscated (along with their cargo of Hardhome slaves, who were freed) when storms drove them into Braavos. The sailors think more ships will be making for Hardhome because slaves are becoming more expensive and harder to find--ships from Lys, and likely Volantis. So the Hardhome wildlings will likely be rescued by slavers, not Jon, and end up as freedmen in Arya's and Dany's arcs, where they will perhaps transmit news of the Second Long Night and the Others to both Arya and Dany (who by then should have Tyrion on hand to confirm that Jorah's father sent a raven supporting this story back in season 2?). Having Mother Mole be played by the same actress as Craster's old wife would be a nice easter egg.

Then again, you just can't expect the show's inventions to hold up under scrutiny the way GRRM's plotting does, because they usually don't.

You brought up a theory I read once long ago on these forums before the show came out and I had forgotten about completely. It was speculated that perhaps some of the wildlings taken as slaves at Hardhome eventually make their way to Dany after being freed because they've heard she's the "Mother" of slaves and breaker of chains, etc and once there, she hears first hand how the Others have returned which gives her the final motivation to leave Essos and head to Westeros as there's something bigger than the Iron Throne to conquer with her dragons and the prophesies etc. --- This has nothing to do with Craster's wives unless THEY are the ones to find Dany and join team Targaryen in the Mother Mole / Hardhome role since that was Mother Mole's prophecy of finding "salvation across the sea" ...

Does anyone think they'll go to Hardhome, and the main one who was talking to Jon at the end is Mother Mole?

This is my first guess.

Otherwise the show might use then to help bring the wildlings to Jon's side after the battle.

But I would prefer if she became Mother Mole. Way more cool story potential.

One question... Did this actress appeared in this episode?

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/09/12/another-actress-joins-the-cast/

Jane McGrath.

Her character was supposed to be wildling named Sissy.

Yes, she was the wildling Karl shoved over and then got her revenge by stabbing him during the fight with Jon Snow. She's absolutely gorgeous of course - they dirtied her up and did a good job of making her look pretty terrible (bruises, scrapes, nappy hair) in the show.

It was a nonsensical attempt at a girl power moment. I am sure they must hate the Night's Watch but it is better than just going off to die.

I very much doubt it.

The show used the opportunity to feature a new character, one we already saw helping Gilly escape, and chances are we will see her again. Since the Mother Mole thread is rather important in the books, I think it is quite likely we will see these women head to Hardhome, either die there or be captured there by slavers, end up in Braavos, and the rest of those events we don't know yet in the books.

Archived