The Good Wife 2: The Good Fight Season 2

Mladen

You get to be first because it seems our time zones allow it. By the time I'm ready to post the site is overloaded due to that other series that runs episodes on Sunday night. :) Yeah, I kinda got to think about it all a bit which includes the best thinking which is waking up and running things through while waiting to fall back asleep.

You mean the time zone in which when the show is aired is 3/4 am? :) I am obsessed with this show, TBH, so I don't mind staying awake all night to get to watch it, along that other show that is causing overloads around here :)

That is one of the reasons I hate Mondays.

The writers don't know what to do with Kalinda at all.

Hmm, IDK whether I would agree on this. When the season started I thought her loyalties would be conflicted and it worked. After that huge event, it gave her also, like everyone else, time to deal with it. But, now, I am not sure. She does seem to take care of Diane. So, maybe that is the new deal?

Eli was up to his best in this episode too.

I concur.

Also, people, and I forgot to mention this: working with Elsabeth Tascioni is difficult and you want out of it? Talking about things you never thought you would hear... :)

You mean the time zone in which when the show is aired is 3/4 am? :) I am obsessed with this show, TBH, so I don't mind staying awake all night to get to watch it, along that other show that is causing overloads around here :)

That is one of the reasons I hate Mondays.

Hmm, IDK whether I would agree on this. When the season started I thought her loyalties would be conflicted and it worked. After that huge event, it gave her also, like everyone else, time to deal with it. But, now, I am not sure. She does seem to take care of Diane. So, maybe that is the new deal?

I concur.

Also, people, and I forgot to mention this: working with Elsabeth Tascioni is difficult and you want out of it? Talking about things you never thought you would hear... :)

You are one dedicated watcher, all right! I used to do those all nighters back when reading fiction was my everything and I'd stay up all night to finish. (By now I've read so many thousands and thousands of novels of every kind, there are very few that work for me, and even fewer that hold my interest to The End. :) )

I also thought that the Rainmaker found working with Tascioni was difficult was interesting -- another lovely little twist. I'd never thought about it before, but yes, working daily with Tascioni as partner or even boss, would be deeply trying. Which in fact is why I've always been approving that this character isn't a regular on the show -- a little Tascioni, while fun, goes a long way -- more would make my brain go splah.

What did you make of Cary saying to Kalinda: "We're not doing this any more." What exactly is this that they're not doing anymore? It wasn't clear to me, if it was sex or spying or what.

Hah, Mladen, I was wondering why was that you are always the first to post after the episode is aired. Man, what are you going to do after the season finale? I usually watch TGW on Mondays, or even Tuesdays, if we with my wife decide TGoT gets priority. We're not able to watch more than one episode of any show at the time on weekdays.

It was a very solid episode. I laughed a lot. I really like Canning and I still don't get why he is plotting against Diane, especially if it's true that he is dying.

Eli was indeed at his best and doing what he does best - analyzing and understanding. But I must say I felt the action with Peter and the intern was quite cheap though. Really? Once again? He's not THAT stupid, is he?

I kinda think he is that stupid, especially when he's resentful that Alicia might be living up to her end of their bargain that each of them can do what they want. Men are unbelievably stupid in this area. (Whose idea is it again, that women are too emotional and blind to manage and run important things that aren't the home?) He also believes in his right to be hurt that Alicia might be finding some entertainment. Because, you know, women are incapable of having sex for entertainment like men. They always must fall deeply in love and that destroys the marriage, unlike the husband's constant philandering with every woman he can get to stop long enough -- by waving money at her or any other means -- to entertain him! :bang: :bs:

:cheers: :)

And that's Canning too -- he cannot NOT plot -- because that is who he is. Maybe even more so if he's dying (I'm still not certain about that -- he's capable of planting false evidence) -- he's the sort to be deeply resentful that other people are not dying and have loyal employees, so let's take her down!

With Canning, I think it's almost that - if he is dying - this is his way of having fun. This is number one on his bucket list. If you or I had a year to live, we might travel the world, write a novel, go skydiving, tell people we love them...Louis Canning will plot and scheme to bring down the law firm he works at.

You are one dedicated watcher, all right!

Luckily, this board accepted me for who I am.

Hah, Mladen, I was wondering why was that you are always the first to post after the episode is aired. Man, what are you going to do after the season finale?

Oh, please, don't torment me... I already cheated TGW with Scandal... The eminent end of season is driving me crazy. I will be spending the pause on much needed psychotherapy, and then hopefully changing this addiction with something less destructive - alcohol, gambling or drugs*... That would help me until late September.

*disclaimer; I fully understand the pain and suffering if addiction diseases. To anyone who might be offended by that poor joke, I offer my sincerest apology

What did you make of Cary saying to Kalinda: "We're not doing this any more." What exactly is this that they're not doing anymore? It wasn't clear to me, if it was sex or spying or what.

A little bit of both, I would say. They make such interesting couple. There is some rather powerfully passionate dynamics between those two that I find completely captivating.

With Canning, I think it's almost that - if he is dying - this is his way of having fun. This is number one on his bucket list. If you or I had a year to live, we might travel the world, write a novel, go skydiving, tell people we love them...Louis Canning will plot and scheme to bring down the law firm he works at.

So true...

I kinda think he is that stupid, especially when he's resentful that Alicia might be living up to her end of their bargain that each of them can do what they want. Men are unbelievably stupid in this area. (Whose idea is it again, that women are too emotional and blind to manage and run important things that aren't the home?) He also believes in his right to be hurt that Alicia might be finding some entertainment. Because, you know, women are incapable of having sex for entertainment like men. They always must fall deeply in love and that destroys the marriage, unlike the husband's constant philandering with every woman he can get to stop long enough -- by waving money at her or any other means -- to entertain him! :bang: :bs:

Preach it!!! :cheers:

Huge The Good Wife fan, but this is my first time posting here.

Before Will died, I was sure that we were going to end up with FLAG... Florick, Lockhart, Agos, and Gardner in the end.

But now it looks like Dianne will be battling for her position in her own firm. While I look forward to Dianne kicking some butt over at LG, in the end I think she will join FA (or is it AF?) and bring a whole lot of big clients with her. ALF will be born! (No word yet an whether any cats will be eaten.)

Quite frankly, Florick Agos needs Dianne to manage day to day operations, and they need the influx of big name clients [read here: cash] she'd bring with her. Dianne has always been a favorite (and Christine Baranski is amazing,) so I might be biased.

I win the internet.

Just watched the episode with the mountain climbing case and the libel tourism that meant it was tried in the UK. Plus points for covering an issue that was very relevant in the UK at the time, plus points for using Eddie Izzard, but HUGE MINUS POINTS for being unable to do rudimentary time zone calculations! There is no way that it would be morning in the UK and evening in Chicago when the time difference is only 6 hours. Other way round, fools! This saddened me, since it's a fairly easy detail to get right...

ST

This one felt a bit weird. It kinda was all over the place in terms of the plots. The intricate webs of office politics should have been dealt more deeply and more extensively like the Bond subplot in Season 2. Now, that was one hell of a battle. This was a bit out of TGW forte. It's like they remembered too late the direction they were heading and tried to pull it off with one episode. Too many things were put. It's not bad, like it sucked. It's more like it felt weird and not expected.

The juggling between mummy duties and the job is done nicely. I like how this show doesn't do classic work mum vs home stay mum showdown, and teach us how it is difficult to have everything. This show was always more elegant in the expression of that issue. Alicia being at work never meant that kids felt unloved and troublesome. We never had those typical "you are never here for me" outbursts that we see all over the TV. We have a working mother who is rather very good in juggling with the personal and professional life. She may not bake the cake and lasagnas, but she will order them, come to her son's graduation and make sure he knows how much she loves him. And that is the essence of motherhood. Not the cakes and recitals, but the stability and love child can feel. And that is why TGW does the "working mother" theme so brilliantly.

On the other hand, we have office drama.

I sensed the trouble between Alicia and Carey from the beginning. These two are not Diane and Will, and they never were. Diane and Will were complementing each other, and always made their differences in approach work for the benefit of the firm. With Alicia and Carey, we have almost fundamental differences in approach. It started even before Florrick/Agos was founded, during those meetings where Alicia felt like it's not right. And several times, we have seen the differences between them working against them. So, this was almost natural conclusion of this season's dynamics between them. They worked well for a while, but we should never forget that from day one of this show they represented two different things. Not two sides of the same coin like Will and Diane, but two things, two approaches, and almost two philosophies.

LGC conundrum is also something that we knew is coming. Diane in this episode was all over the place, from merge, to management of LGC to the case and State Attorney's race. Heck, even New Zealand was mentioned... But, what I like about Diane is that she is never beaten. She may feel tired, she may feel like she has no option, she may feel lonely and abandoned due to Will's death, but she is never beaten. And that is the thing with the people like her, the intelligent people whom some thought they have won them. Diane's perhaps not as bitch as Canning is, but she surely outsmarted him with the offer to Florrick/Agos. She solved the entire thing with such simplicity, that you have to love it. And nobody expressed it better than Robyn and her "holly crap". For that is how you throw a towel and end the pointless feud and survive to see the act 3.

Nice episode. Jackie and Veronica were nice touch to this episode, and Finn, oh Finn... Finally, Eli had to shake the boat with that offer... And just when we thought everything is solved.

I thought it was great. A ton of stuff crammed into one day's time. All handled very well. That they didn't bother with dragging Cary's play to Canning into next season, to me, speaks volumes that they want the team of Alicia and Cary to succeed.

It did have the feel of something being set up for a sixth season that wasn't wholly expected when season five began though.

I win the internet.

:bowdown: :cheers:

And, if I may say, I'm very happy you were right ;)

But I'm not entirely sure on how I feel about that cliffhanger.

If Alicia agrees to run... On one hand, I'm happy for Eli for finally managing to get the candidate he's always wanted and deserved, and I would love to see their interactions under those new circumstances. On the other, I just want to see Alicia and Diane kicking some ass together again! Well, I suppose there is still time for that to happen. And it is, in a way, the natural conclusion to Alicia's story, to have her go political for good, though that makes her too Hillary. And since she was having her doubts about continuing to be a lawyer... That would also be nice because, then, Finn would manage to keep his job and Alicia would already have one friend in that office who wasn't on her side just because of Peter.

As for the rest, I agree with the previous comments, especially Mladen, always making brilliant points :cheers:

There's something I've been wondering for a while, and this episode was particularly insistent on bringing that up: does the whole lawyer community, or whatever it's called, of Chicago know about Will+Alicia?

On a completely unrelated note, why is everyone changing their avatars to soccer-related stuff? For the World Cup?

I half-watched the episode while procrastinating and will have another kick at the can later. I think the producers' plan is to go seven seasons, so all this plotting may be setting up some final moves.

Lady O, there's no fever like board WC fever. :)

Woo. Terrific final episode, with very nice potential story line for next season. However, is it even possible legally? Is it politically wise if it is legal?

Having Alicia run for - occupy the state attorney's office while her husband is the governor of the state? Did everyone else enjoy as much as I did, Eli's ever-intensifying love face as he looked at Alicia and the solution to all his problems emerged in

his own mind?

They sure were in a hurry to move him out, weren't they?

Zack, that is. And why must they wait a half year to see him? That doesn't sound like any parents I know, particularly the parents who are as well-heeled as Alicia and Peter. OTOH, perhaps Zack is happy to get outta dodge, considering the fraught states of mind of the adults in his life, particularly in this "weird year."

This is what I, this particular, individual watcher, has always wanted, though I am aware others have their own druthers:

Diane Lockhart joining Alicia and Cary's firm. This is particularly good if Alicia does run for office.

But what happens to Kalinda then?

And I truly truly truly loathe Creepy Canning. I want to see

him taken DOWN, by DIANE! He's not behaving like anybody who has got two months to live. For one thing he'd be too sick to be buzzing about the firm the way he does, plotting, promising, being a complete you know what. Kalinda may have found something he planted. He's like that. His face when Diane mentioned to him that he was dying so why is he doing this looked like a guy who could hardly keep it to himself that he'd tricked them all. Also, what good is a managing partner who is out of commission as soon as he would be if he had two months to live? Shoot, he shouldn't even be alive when season six starts if he hasn't lied.

The Jackie - Veronica throw downs were worthy of them both. The bit we got to see of Peter was also fine.

But Alicia, you are indeed right: This was on heck of weird year. This was a final episode worthy-weird of the whole season.

Wouldn't endorsing your wife for State's Attorney as Governor one nepotism too far though?

That said, I've always maintained Alicia going into politics in her own right was always a plot line begging to happen.

Perhaps next season we'll return to a major plot line from the first season?

Considering how very angry Cary was with Alicia, and how angry she was with him, over the potential merger -- seeming no room for flex, no point for negotiation, the nasty rivalry set up for them during their first year hire, as to which of them will be kept on, and the nasty tricks Cary was playing on Alicia, comes roaring back to mind. This was particularly so when Cary went so far as to inform on his own partner to Creep Canning. How can Alicia forgive that and keep working with him? What would this mean for Diane if she joins the firm -- and, presumably, Kalinda comes with her? When Cary is already deeply hurt and angry from her use of him -- though how didn't he know that was up with her, because she's played sex, or at least come-on with him in other seasons to get info, right down to going into his phone.

If Cary and Alicia fall out, I shall be sorry. Cary looked so much older, that kind of withering thing that happens to men's faces who have perpetually boyish features for so long -- you see it in Canning's face too.

As for the rest, I agree with the previous comments, especially Mladen, always making brilliant points :cheers:

Thank you Lady Octarina. You are so kind... And I needed today this, since I had clash with particularly nasty "person" who questioned my ability to read.

But what happens to Kalinda then?

According to an interview Robert and Michelle King had

She is going with Diane.

Wouldn't endorsing your wife for State's Attorney as Governor one nepotism too far though?

That said, I've always maintained Alicia going into politics in her own right was always a plot line begging to happen.

That is why I think it will never happen. I mean, that wasn't a good idea to begin with. I agree with you, for I just don't want to see Alicia as Melly from Scandal. She needs to be independent and I think that she has made huge step towards it.

Eli's face in that last minute, when it became clear what he would propose to Alicia, was alone better than 99% of everything in TV.

I still adamantly believe that Alicia's 'NO' when Peter said to her "we are all we have" is the best moment of this entire season.

BTW, I have been looking in chances of TGW on this year's Emmys. They will go with as many categories as possible. Margulies and Baranski are the closest, but the list goes on and on. I am truly surprised that almost every major guest star of this show has a potential to be nominated.

What do we know: The States Attorney Office remains a viable source of stories, though I believe it is still Finn who ends up there somehow. Cary and Alicia aren't likely to stay mad long, mom is coming and she's bringing a big sister to officiate, but really Cary and Alicia belong working together, even add they seemed so far apart in the first season. Not knowing if Fox is coming back at all, are there any villains left? Any dragons to slay?

Archived