The Good Wife 2: The Good Fight Season 2

Mladen

• 1 month later...

Okay, that was an interesting episode. As indifferent as I might be to the trials and tribulations of Cary Agos, I liked how they handled all his scenes in this one. But the moment I had the most fun was Alicia preparing for her debate. Everything about those scenes was just great, particularly how delicious it was to watch her debating with Finn, and showing her true opinions about Peter. Oh, let's not forget the possible end of the Eli-Elfman marriage. Okay, but Alicia's latest impulsive action? Terrible idea, but if it results in Eli just taking over for good as her campaign manager, I'm good.

Kalinda, of course, wins, as far as terrible ideas goes. I'm thinking our guess is sounding more and more likely...

But now I'm left wondering what will happen to Bishop. I mean,

Mike Colter has been cast as Luke Cage for three Netflix shows where he'll be either the main character, or one of them (and some of them will be released this year, won't they?). I can't see him having the time, or interest, perhaps, to continue showing up on TGW. So maybe they're killing Bishop too? Or putting him away, in prison, for good?

That was actually a great episode. Harken back to older seasons worth the Cory case, but having said case be so close to the main cast.

The clock ticking in the background of the hotel room with Cary wad just menacing.

I cannot make up my mind as to the fate of Kalinda or Bishop.

Yes, that was a great episode. I've no doubt the gun they hung above Kalinda's head will fire up one way or another. For a moment I wondered if Kalinda might take the job Bishop offered Cary in Barcelona, but he specifically said he needed a lawyer, so I guess even the best investigator wouldn't do.

I'm a bit perplexed about Alicia's impulse to kiss Elfman and have no idea if they're going to follow this trail in any way.

I have fears that They are going to have Kalinda going out as a sacrifice for Cary, and that is not how we do these days. Writing a woman sacrificing her life for the sake of a man's life and career is particularly wrong-footed in a contemporary series -- and during this particular season's arc of Alicia putting the Good Wife behind her. Surely there are more creative ways to write a person out of a show other than have her die? Especially when Will has already died.

Then there is the faked evidence . . . ironically, probably how Kalinda goes out is the reversal, She's going to get the prison sentence she helped Cary be dismissed from.

In meantime I hope everyone's holiday season / hiatus was enjoyable!

Oh, the joys of US TV shows returning...

First things first, so I have to cheer that Matthew Goode ends up with Mary Crawley now, right? The last scene of this episode was so fascinating... I have cheered for the wrong guy apparently :)

Episode was thoroughly enjoyable... Liked the entire prison counselor (that is one occupation I discovered on US TV. Well, that, and "Celine Dion hand choreographer" :))

And I would agree with Zorral, since this episode was ultimate "abandoning Good wife role", especially politically. I liked this... I missed TGW.

The prison counselor was played by Domenick Lombardozzi, who as Herc, was one of the no-so good, not-so-honest, and not so-smart Baltimore cops in The Wire. Every time you see this actor he's in this kind of role, as can be seen on IMDB -- even as Dominick, in Entourage he was and ex-con and a pita.

A superior episode brought low by the final three minutes. Ugh.

The ending wasn't that bad. Saint Alicia had to finally shed her supposed halo. Throughout the show she has claimed simple, noble aspirations, e.g. to support her family, but her emerging ambition was her real priority. Having set up the question many times of why she wants to run, she finally admits and owns the ambition. And it clearly separates her from the law firm, setting up next season when she will be the SA and we'll only occasionally see Lockhart, Agos, Lee & Assoc defending their clients. The campaign-centric cast has been moving to the fore over this season.

I don't understand why Alicia can't see past her ambition. Wanting to win is not enough, you need to want the prize too. Why would an ambitious lawyer who is a named partner in a growing firm (having practiced for only six years) want to throw aside her firm to become a SA? I could see why Diane at the end of her career would have left for the state supreme court, but not Alicia for the SA. And does Alicia really think there are lots of lawyers who'll leave $400k jobs to be ASAs? I think Prady called her on that.

Peter's wish to be effective really mirrored Alicia's pragmatic position in her impromptu debate with Prady.

Good episode all around and I liked that they tackled the Ferguson story. I'm not sure why they are bothering to bring back David Lee (even though we miss his amoral deviousness) unless Alicia hires him soon to divorce Peter.

The ending wasn't that bad. Saint Alicia had to finally shed her supposed halo. Throughout the show she has claimed simple, noble aspirations, e.g. to support her family, but her emerging ambition was her real priority. Having set up the question many times of why she wants to run, she finally admits and owns the ambition. And it clearly separates her from the law firm, setting up next season when she will be the SA and we'll only occasionally see Lockhart, Agos, Lee & Assoc defending their clients. The campaign-centric cast has been moving to the fore over this season.

I don't understand why Alicia can't see past her ambition. Wanting to win is not enough, you need to want the prize too. Why would an ambitious lawyer who is a named partner in a growing firm (having practiced for only six years) want to throw aside her firm to become a SA? I could see why Diane at the end of her career would have left for the state supreme court, but not Alicia for the SA. And does Alicia really think there are lots of lawyers who'll leave $400k jobs to be ASAs? I think Prady called her on that.

Peter's wish to be effective really mirrored Alicia's pragmatic position in her impromptu debate with Prady.

Good episode all around and I liked that they tackled the Ferguson story. I'm not sure why they are bothering to bring back David Lee (even though we miss his amoral deviousness) unless Alicia hires him soon to divorce Peter.

It wasn't what happened that wad my issue, it was the way it did. The page felt contrived. She got angry that they were doing what beefed to be done for the firm, but she ignored/brushed off Cary's similar and just as valid concerns when Alicia went and brought Diane in while he was wrapped up in jail.

It was something that deserved more than the minutes if screen time. They needed to explore what was going on a little more before Alicia was forced to confront reality.

It wasn't what happened that wad my issue, it was the way it did. The page felt contrived. She got angry that they were doing what beefed to be done for the firm, but she ignored/brushed off Cary's similar and just as valid concerns when Alicia went and brought Diane in while he was wrapped up in jail.

It was something that deserved more than the minutes if screen time. They needed to explore what was going on a little more before Alicia was forced to confront reality.

I agree with that. The whole episode was rushed. They tackled a huge issue in very little time and then right at the end they contrived a sudden, overly-dramatic separation from her old life. I have a feeling they spent ages trying to work out how to fit everything in.

The entire B plot was a throw-away.

I feel the same about the ending, but for different reasons. It felt a bit disconnected. I mean, Alicia pulled gender card for no good reason. The writing here was a bit off. She went into "warrior princess" mode when the argument wasn't even made. The issue was a different matter.

I am so lucky that here in Serbia we don't have these type of political debates... We usually have only one debate per elections, with attempts to expand it... These debates looked so horrible and I kinda liked the informal conversation Prady and Alicia had in the kitchen.

And Johnny/Alicia seems so great now... Apparently we got the "male energy" after Will... Not in Finn though, but nonetheless we got it.

I wouldn't say it was a superior episode. I felt their handling of the whole race issue left much to be desired. Yes, someone calls out Alicia and Prady for discussing why African Americans would/wouldn't riot. Yes, the irony of two white candidates for a post discussing their plans to increase representation is noted. But its by some nameless character who works in the kitchen, who we will never see again. They could have done better, especially given how urgent an issue this is. The shoehorning of the Florrick/Agos/Lockhart stuff only made things worse, by giving them even less time to delve into these issues.

I could be wrong, but I think the fact that the guy calling them out was nameless wad kinda the point. Juxtaposed with Eli's assistant putting a named face to another side of the issue. I think they handled it well, if too quickly.

The kitchen staff of color -- and of different groups -- debating each other and calling out the two white candidates was the best of this episode. This criticism was one our ciricles were making and still are making, from the terrible events of Ferguson, to all the terrible events that followed bang-bang-bang-bang of cops killing unarmed black people.

All these white people talking with each other about what people of color think, should do, want to do blahblahblahblah, in the media and everywhere else. That this is what is going on shows at least as clearly as the shootings do that the systemic white supremacy police state in place prior to the Civil Rights era has returned and re-invigorated by the so-called war on terrorism and the war on everyone who doesn't have a private helicopter at their disposal.

Alicia's run at the State Attorney office feels, after this episode, as taking the place of the will she / won't she of her sex life. Does she want him? Or him? Which, honestly? I at least, much prefer to the fixation on which male will Alicia become sexually involved with next.

As well, the Alicia as Mama Bear feeling Grace is being put into a rotten situation by that @$$ha@t "journalist" was Alicia at her best. Not tongue-tie here, no deer caught in the headlights. She leaped, all claws and fangs in play, and eviscerated the guy. If the people in the audience had any interest at all in the 'real' Alicia, that's as real as it can get.

As well, the Alicia as Mama Bear feeling Grace is being put into a rotten situation by that @$$ha@t "journalist" was Alicia at her best. Not tongue-tie here, no deer caught in the headlights. She leaped, all claws and fangs in play, and eviscerated the guy. If the people in the audience had any interest at all in the 'real' Alicia, that's as real as it can get.

I agree with you, but do you think this was a bit repetitive? I mean, I remember when Alicia was testifying so Peter would be released out of prison when she had to say to prosecutor "My son is listening this."

• 1 month later...

And, we are back... Imagine my happiness to see that the new episode was aired last night...

With this episode I can finally say that TGW changed its policy of unlikable opponents. For more than 5 years, the show has awful tendency to make unlikable characters oppose to Peter, Alicia, Will and Diane. Every single opponent has been thoroughly disgusting person. From Castro to Childs, Derek Bond to Matthew Perry's character, even Wendy, all of them have been utterly hated or at least annoying. And that is why you have to like Frank Prady. Just because he is polite, decent human being. He is not a monster opposing the other side. He is just a man who thinks differently. And, btw, as Prady was speaking about loneliness in campaigning, I could literally hear Galadriel's "to bear the ring of power, is to be alone..." :)

Also, what happened to David Lee? Is he in or is he out? Didn't Diane and Cary hired him last episode? Why would he be sabotaging them now? Scratch that, it's David Lee we are talking about...

Archived