The Good Wife 2: The Good Fight Season 2

Mladen

I liked it a lot, though I seem to be in the minority. 

Of course ambiguous because life isn't a neat television arc. The almost-this-is-a-dream sense was realistic too, considering how much stress everyone's been under for so long, and in this particular sequence, how sleep deprived. Only Diane rose above it in the final scene, standing at Peter's press conference in a metal-silver suit that may as well have been a suit of armor. That she bitch slapped Alicia, yah -- and a lot less lethal for them both than a sword or halberd. It's Diane's life that was destroyed in that courtroom case. 

Diane's life was destroyed by the Floricks standing together for the sake of family and career. Nor for the first time was Diane screwed over by the Floricks, though nothing this emotionally and personally devastating. Alicia was fortunate that Diane is so intelligent she didn't use a weapon beyond her hand. 

Though, lets face it, Diane also was always willing to use and jettison Alicia for the sake her firm, when it was financially and professionally useful . . . . Nevertheless, the destruction of Diane's marriage by the Floricks for their own sake is merely the canary in the coal mine telling we the audience how many lives along the way have been damaged for the sake of Peter's ambition. 

The only thing -- never has a bitch slap improved a woman's hair before, leaving Alicia looking much, much better after that. Why o why those hideous wigs for season 7?

@Zorral, I think the fact that this has never been a physical show (except for Kalinda's problems in early seasons) is what actually threw off many people. But, boy, was that powerful. When you see someone as composed and intelligent as Diane doing something like that, it truly makes you think. And I have to say, for me, it worked perfectly.

What I am not so sure about is the lack of any resolution. I mean, there are a bit too much unanswered questions. We discussed about political future, about Alicia's choices, but in a way, we got no definite answers regarding those.

But, I felt the power of that slap. And it really worked for me. Baranski was truly amazing and she is currently my pick for the best supporting actress on TV this year. 

Yeah, it was a fun ride... 

The crumbling of all her world was there fo all the world to see in Diane's face when Luca went to cross Kurt. In front of that judge who disliked Diane already.  And he knows and so does everyone else in the courtroom, and soon everybody else too.  While Kurt felt betrayed by her.

Mirroring Alicia's devastation in the first season's episodes, dealing with infidelity's endless revelations: in public.

It's almost as though the real story of "End" is Diane's.  What is she going to do now?  We know Alicia will be fine, option choices already dangling in front of her.  I'd like to see what happens with Diane now.

Finally caught up and watched the last episode.  They sure were channeling their inner Cormac McCarthy for that one.

I guess they felt unsure how to leave it, so better to let everyone just make up their own minds how it winds up?

On 5/9/2016 at 0:31 AM, Zorral said:

It's almost as though the real story of "End" is Diane's.  What is she going to do now?  We know Alicia will be fine, option choices already dangling in front of her.  I'd like to see what happens with Diane now.

You will have the chance...

http://www.thewrap.com/the-good-wife-spinoff-officially-goes-to-cbs-all-access/

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Risto said:

Just watched the first episode...

And it was good. Seriously good. Not perfect and I am not sure about Rose Leslie, but it has a very strong potential. 

There are two episodes. I thought they were both good.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

There are two episodes. I thought they were both good.

Yeap, I watched the second one too. It was very good.

Spoiler

One may think that this is another go at the story already told in "The Good Wife" but I find this essentially different. Diane's fall from grace was much harder to swallow, because it truly hit you that sometimes life is not fair. But, in Alicia's case, it was taking her out of the comfortable life she had, in many ways, liberating her from the golden cage she has put herself into. On the other hand, with Diane, we see total destruction of everything that she has worked for. There is a wonderful moment when she said that everything is gone in a second. Long-standing career, wealth, future. It beautifully parallels the nationwide shock of Trump's victory, so beautifully seen in the first scene of Episode 1.

It is the story old as time itself. How the mighty can fall... And I love this deconstruction of composed Diane, just as I enjoyed throughout the years deconstruction of Alicia's composure. You know it's bad when the only reaction of such well-educated, well-bred woman like her is the F word.

BTW, @Kyoshi, nice to see you again... You have been missed :D 

On 12/22/2016 at 1:30 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I actually liked the teaser...makes it even more frustrating that this is a digital series. That's so just fucking dumb...

I think it may be because they want to be a bit more grittier. There are F words and some nudity.

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You have convinced me to feel badly that can't watch it.  Wonder if it will show up on dvd eventually.

I really like it. It is not groundbreaking but it has a good story and it is a beloved character with what can be an a very solid arc. I am not that fan of spin-offs, but this one can actually work.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

I really like it. It is not groundbreaking but it has a good story and it is a beloved character with what can be an a very solid arc. I am not that fan of spin-offs, but this one can actually work.

I love dependably interesting quality shows like this.  You have made me even more sad that I'm not seeing it.

I suppose . . . I'll . . . survive!  I'll survive!  I Will Survive!  :D

But I do love that Diane Lockhart.

Archived