HBO's "The Leftovers"

Khal-a-bunga

So I went and read the book, and now I wonder more than before where they go with the story. The show writers completely made up the supernatural aspect of the show's storyline, but I don't see the benefit of a whole new cast of characters, so I am assuming that we get to continue our characters storyline, complete with the supernatural aspect.

There really was no supernatural aspects of the show except for the disappearance. Everything else can be attributed to either people looking for the supernatural or insanity.

Yeah, the significance of Dog Killer Guy and him handing over his truck at the beginning of the season and the NG issue are all still mysteries. As of course is where these visions are coming from for the Garvey men and where the hell Everybody went that day. But the latter I am guessing is not meant to be explained. Like so many wrote in here earlier, this is a show about dealing with tragedy--the aftermath.

This show was simply awesome.

Agreed, and if I may elaborate--I found the characters, for the most part, compelling and the series as a whole was emotionally gripping. I thought the finale was a masterpiece which really put together a lot of pieces for Nora and the Garvey family. In the end this season was really was a story about a father getting a second chance. The lead ups for some of the characters were very, very slow--especially with Mama Garvey (forget her name)

• 2 weeks later...

I've started reading the book and it is really good. There was a lot about the show that really didn't make sense but in the book it does. Being able to read the thoughts of the GR and the history of Holy Wayne really opens up the story. I highly recommend it to anyone who liked the show.

• 2 weeks later...

So there was something that I found very confusing that was cleared up as I've read the book. I'm wondering though if maybe I just missed it in the show. To you people out there that haven't read the book, did you understand why the police were after Holy Wayne, and why Tom was charged with hiding the girl?

So there was something that I found very confusing that was cleared up as I've read the book. I'm wondering though if maybe I just missed it in the show. To you people out there that haven't read the book, did you understand why the police were after Holy Wayne, and why Tom was charged with hiding the girl?

It was only vaguely referenced in the show... wasn't the pretext something like Asian sex trafficking combined with an ATF that had gone murderously insane? I never really understood the "ATF can now just murder people" angle of the show, though.

Yeah, haven't read the book, but from what I understood in the show, the answer to "cults" and "sects" after the Departure became extremely harsh. They don't bother anymore with civil rights, they just kill them.

This and the (borderline pedo) trafficking in girls added to the pretexts for shutting Wayne's organization down.

Maybe there was more than that in the book?

The main reason was because of the Senator, so the charges were not only about underage girls but also of a political nature. They wanted to wipe out any cults, though, so every little bit of illegal action in the cult was brought up as something to kill them all. Tom was charged with hiding that girl as others were charged with hiding the other girls. First Tom thought the girl was special, but as it turns out he tried that with possibly all that girls.

I haven't read the book, but I do remember that the first scene in episode two shows the reason.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Season 2 Cast/location news. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/08/big-castlocation-changes-for-the-leftovers-season-2

Got nervous about Nora not being back when I saw the headline, but according to this Carrie Coon is coming back.

Cool. .... I was watching the movie Gone Girl.... and I didn't realize it was CC playing ben Affleck's sister... I IMDB'ed her only to discover that this was the same actress I fell for in the Leftovers.

Cool. .... I was watching the movie Gone Girl.... and I didn't realize it was CC playing ben Affleck's sister... I IMDB'ed her only to discover that this was the same actress I fell for in the Leftovers.

She was great in Gone Girl. Between her, Kim Dickens, and Rosamund Pike, Affleck really took a back seat to the actresses in that movie.

Carrie Coon :wub:

• 1 month later...

Archived