R+L=J v 81

Stubby

I recall reading someone post here... I think it might have been stateofdissipation.. that they believe Rhaegar was at the Red Keep when Brandon stormed in but hid because he was afraid of him. Thoughts?

Might have been me.

My take is this. Littlefinger had every right to challenge Brandon to a duel over Catelyn. And Brandon had every right to kill him. Cat asked Brandon to spare Littlefinger but Littlefinger ran his mouth (falsely) about deflowering Catelyn and Brandon gutted him for it -- but let him live because Catelyn asked him to.

By the same token, Brandon had even more right to challenge Rhaegar to a duel when Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna--even if Lyanna wanted to go. This is because House Stark, not Lyanna or Rhaegar, had the right to choose who Lyanna would marry. This is clear from the fact that Ned had to marry Cat for duty when he probably wanted to marry someone else; and because Ned never consulted Sansa when he first betrothed her to Joffrey and then decided to break off the betrothal (which, incidentally, leads me to think that of Lyanna told Ned she went willingly, Ned would have been horrified at her actions and would have blamed her almost as much as he blamed Rhaegar).

I think Rhaegar was hiding in the Red Keep when Brandon rode up to challenge him and Rhaegar was too much of a coward to come out and fight. Instead he let Brandon be seized by overwhelming numbers while he slipped out the back door.

Something to brighten your mood:

Do you know why GRRM doesn't use twitter?

They restricted him to 140 characters and he killed them all off.

It helps, but I'm still reeling :(

OK, one more dose then:

JKR and GRRM meet up for coffee and they're talking about their books. GRRM asks: "So, Ron and Ginny are lovers?"

JKR says, "What? No! They're brother and sister!"

I hope Your Grace is feeling better now :P

I think Rhaegar was hiding in the Red Keep when Brandon rode up to challenge him and Rhaegar was too much of a coward to come out and fight. Instead he let Brandon be seized by overwhelming numbers while he slipped out the back door.

Except Rhaegar was at the ToJ. If he was at the RK, things wouldn't have escalated the way they did with Rickard burned and Brandon strangled. He also would have nothing to fear given he was with KG who were sworn to defend him plus men-at-arms in the RK. He could have talked to Brandon, and explained everything.

Something to brighten your mood:

Do you know why GRRM doesn't use twitter?

They restricted him to 140 characters and he killed them all off.

OK, one more dose then:

JKR and GRRM meet up for coffee and they're talking about their books. GRRM asks: "So, Ron and Ginny are lovers?"

Well done.

Seriously people. Anyone who didn't get that R+L=J on the first read wasn't paying attention. Jon isn't dead either. In case no one has noticed, some people tend to not stay dead.

Well, I've only read the books once (so far), and all the R+L hints I've gotten have been through threads and posts where the specific hints have been pointed out. And I have to admit, what I got out of it was that R+L=x, but I don't think that x=Jon. But that's just me, and I like reading these threads regardless of that.

And I don't think Jon is dead. Him losing consciousness and not feeling the fourth knife does not equal death in my books. He could simply be in a coma.

Well, there's a lot of issues with the Ashara = Septa Lemore theory but I guess it's possible? I'd peg it as unlikely.

This was my thinking on it. I think Ned knows that Ashara went through a lot of shit in a very small amount of time, and didn't want her name dragged into it. Also I think Ned may have been trying to dissuade Cat from playing a guessing game to figure out Jon's mother. The last thing he wants is anyone perceiving it as a mystery. Better to lie and say it was Wylla and be done with it.

That's a good analysis... yet again, what bothers me is that it makes no sense to be only speculating her death (body never found).

Either way, I find Ashara's affiliation with the Targs as a default. (I can't say that I can understand an affiliation with the starks if not for the harrenhal...)

Maybe she cannot be septa Lemore... but I cannot think of her as dead... if that was the case (and I mean without a specific reason for later in the series) why to have Barristan mention her after such a long time in the books.

As for JC's thinking of Lemore, I would say that especially in those books people tend to think with what they accept at the time as true (eg. Theon=Reek, Arya=Salty,Mercy,Blind Girl... etc) rather than their true affiliation....

yet again, even if lemore is not ashara, i think there is a reason for her to exist,....

If it was Brandon in some way that caused her suicide, why did Ashara wait a year to kill herself. While we know that news travels slowly in Westeros, it does not go that slowly. That does not add up. (At least to me.)

Ashara would have know about both Brandon's death and Ned's marriage to Catelyn by the time Ned get to Starfall.

Makes sense that Ned would not want to besmirch Ashara's name no matter what.

Because losing only a lover didn't drive her over the edge. It was losing all: lover, brother, child, (possibly friends as well, due to the Sack).

Either she was saddened due to Brandons death, or due to Neds marriage, but not both.

OK, one more dose then:

Um... I've seen fanfics that are Ron/Ginny... It doesn't stop fans.

That's a good analysis... yet again, what bothers me is that it makes no sense to be only speculating her death (body never found).

Either way, I find Ashara's affiliation with the Targs as a default. (I can't say that I can understand an affiliation with the starks if not for the harrenhal...)

Maybe she cannot be septa Lemore... but I cannot think of her as dead... if that was the case (and I mean without a specific reason for later in the series) why to have Barristan mention her after such a long time in the books.

As for JC's thinking of Lemore, I would say that especially in those books people tend to think with what they accept at the time as true (eg. Theon=Reek, Arya=Salty,Mercy,Blind Girl... etc) rather than their true affiliation....

yet again, even if lemore is not ashara, i think there is a reason for her to exist,....

Well Jon Con (or was it someone else of the crew) calls her Lady Lemore at one point, so... there is that. I think Lemore is not who she claims and that she is a lady of some sorts. As for being Ashara... I don't know, I'm more inclined to "no" at this point.

Just ducking in for a random question.

Do we know whatever happened to Rickards Maester? The one that Lady D seemed to not like very much.

Just speculating if he was up to no good and Ned found out about and "fired" him.

Edit: I'm hearing that Neds mother has been confirmed, and she was Rickards second cousin, Lyarra, so when GRRM responded to the question, "who was Neds mother," and he replied, "Lady Stark," he wasn't kidding.

(Interesting dynamics for Jon then if true).

Archived