[Books & Show Spoilers] the Viper

I had never heard of him, but I trusted in D&D to make a good choice for such a part. I agree that TV Oberyn is better, but that's simply because they gave him a lot more screen time than he did in the books. In the books, he was around for the intro to Tyrion outside the city, had a background role at the wedding and then was at Tyrion's trial, and then we had the duel.

I disagree that Pedro was better simply because of more screen time. I think his amazing acting talent made him better than GRRM could have imagined.

I had never heard of him, but I trusted in D&D to make a good choice for such a part. I agree that TV Oberyn is better, but that's simply because they gave him a lot more screen time than he did in the books. In the books, he was around for the intro to Tyrion outside the city, had a background role at the wedding and then was at Tyrion's trial, and then we had the duel.

because subtly is one of GRRM's stronger qualities as a writer, and something the producers of this show completely lack. Similar to Robb Stark the Viper had a reputation that was delivered through the eyes of his perceivers. You KNEW the Red Viper was a total badass, but it wasn't shown to you in the books, you gathered it over time.. Apparently subtle character building doesn't translate into a tv show.

I guess.

because subtly is one of GRRM's stronger qualities as a writer, and something the producers of this show completely lack. Similar to Robb Stark the Viper had a reputation that was delivered through the eyes of his perceivers. You KNEW the Red Viper was a total badass, but it wasn't shown to you in the books, you gathered it over time.. Apparently subtle character building doesn't translate into a tv show.

I guess.

100% agree with you. It is only now I am in my first re-read, and thanks to this forum that I have been able to get all the subtle hints and exposition GRRM drops in lots of chapters.

Realizing Viper was basically Game of Thrones Boba Fett x a million is actually only fully realized A. After his death B. With the ripples that it causes in other peoples chapters C. In all the subtle hints and info we get from other characters

You are completely spot on my friend.

For example, whenever he, and Dorne in general were introduced I rolled my eyes, and went this whole plot sucks, stick with what works GRRM! Now, I would say that Dorne is arguably the realm of the 7 Kingdoms I want to spend more time in! Lol.

Great post.

About how Oberyn will die, Lena and Pedro (Cersei and Oberyn) were on a magazine together, and there was -> this interesting picture. I saw someone speculate that they might be hinting at Oberyn's death, and that would mean it stays the same as in the books. I don't really know what to think of that, but it would be pretty crafty.

I'm starting to think that Lena and Pedro got along pretty well in real life. Whenever I see both of them in the pictures they seem to have such a great time.

I guess.

TV is a visual medium. If you build a character up like that with very little time everyone would be saying "Show don't tell."

TV is a visual medium. If you build a character up like that with very little time everyone would be saying "Show don't tell."

I understand that tv is a different medium. They had to show him fight early on to let viewers in on his skill and they (sort of) did. But they could have then thrown in a few lines from other characters discussing his abilities and reputation. Maybe have Jaime talk about him a bit. Build him up slowly over the course of a few episodes and then have him talk to Tyrion in his cell before the trial. Instead they chose to show him twirl that spear like Darth Maul at the start of the combat because...oh yeah he's a bad ass.

As for Robb Stark, that's a whole other conversation.

Well, considering almost everyone in the audience loved him to bits, I'd say whatever the writers/producers did + his incredible acting worked.

I have seen dozens of comments on reddit today from book readers that said that they liked him as a character in the book but they loved him in the show. I am one of them.

I just watched inside the episode, which I always love for D&D's take on things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3vgeMijCc and at 8:55 the word "poisoned" is used referring to the Mountain - if I hadn't known the story it would have been a WTF moment. I don't remember it being explicit in the book. So I'm glad D&D are keeping with the book. How hard would it be for viewers only to make the connection between the duel and the sudden appearance of a new KG member in a future season? Especially if they keep the same actor.

Okay, I still need to re-read the chapter before I address this in the book threads, but actually seeing the fight on screen made me realize something that never quite stood out to me on the page:

Oberyn's carelessness around The Mountain reaches horror-movie levels of stupidity and it sort of cheapens his death a little in my eyes.

Again, maybe re-reading the chapter will make me realize that this is just how it was portrayed on screen, but seeing it all play out (to my memory) more or less how it was on the page, I was struck by just how stupid it would be for a seasoned fighter like Oberyn to be so careless around Ser Gregor.

Don't get me wrong, thematically it all makes sense that his bloodlust and unquenched desire for vengeance is what does him in. But it just seems like the way it played out required Oberyn to not just become blinded by his rage but actually flat out careless and stupid, on a level normally reserved for horror movie victims and members of House Stark.

Archived