[Books & Show Spoilers] the Viper

I'm all for adaptations trying to improve the source material when required and I do think Oberyn's death was a mistake. I know it's probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Martin was wrong by sacrificing a very colorful and engaging character just for a moment of shock.

That said, Oberyn surviving would have huge repercussions and it would be a very, very significant deviation, so he has to die

If only there were other interesting characters!

He didn't do it for a moment of shock. He did it because it was necessary for the plot (you practically admitted as much). If Oberyn lived, Tyrion would've been found innocent, and there would be no escaping and no going to Essos.

Well, using poison in a trial by combat is illegal tho. In that case he would've been found guilty too and both of them would have to flee.

i would feel the same if Gregor doesn't say it with real vehemence before smashing Oberyn's skull in...last few mountains barely had lines, hopefully we get an idea of Hafthor's acting skills in ep 7

Oberyn will be cut in half instead of his face being smashed in

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

is that confirmed or a hunch? if confirmed, then must begin the hunt for D&D! :tantrum:

Either that or the Mountain won't get his famous lines. In the season 4 premiere Oberyn says that Elia got "split in half" by his greatsword.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

is that confirmed or a hunch? if confirmed, then must begin the hunt for D&D! :tantrum:

None of it is confirmed it's just another fan speculation based on a single line from premiere which imho has absolutely no connection with anything other than putting emphasis on how brutal Mountain is.

I honestly have no clue why it's up for discussion that the Viper will live or not...

I'm not sure which is more puzzling - that discussion or discussion over Shae's fate. I know showrunners change stuff but these two are major events. They can change details but not the outcome.

I'm not sure which is more puzzling - that discussion or discussion over Shae's fate. I know showrunners change stuff but these two are major events. They can change details but not the outcome.

Exactly, these two HAVE to die. Shae will most definitley die, the only question everyone should be asking is HOW these two characters will die. I can see Oberyn taking a sword through his stomach and up his rib cage for some reason. Shae I can see dying with Tyrion just choking her with his own hands.

None of it is confirmed it's just another fan speculation based on a single line from premiere which imho has absolutely no connection with anything other than putting emphasis on how brutal Mountain is.

There would be no logical reason for that scene to be in if it doesn't happen. Don't say it is there to make the Mountain seem more brutal, crushing her head with his bare hands is brutal enough. Add to that that Pedro Pascal interview where he says they change some things but stick overall to the books after talking about the duel... Don't make this seem like an impossible scenario

There would be no logical reason for that scene to be in if it doesn't happen. Don't say it is there to make the Mountain seem more brutal, crushing her head with his bare hands is brutal enough. Add to that that Pedro Pascal interview where he says they change some things but stick overall to the books after talking about the duel... Don't make this seem like an impossible scenario

Tv audience has no idea of this. They changed it in the show. Hence the line about the sword.

Yes they might have changed some things but in no way did he indicate they chanced the way he dies.

I'm not. You do seem convinced this is 100% what will happen though, I'm just pointing out that one line in premiere is not enough.

lot of stuff happen that end up having no logical reason for being there....

Yara declaring in S3 that she's going to save theon....

Xaro Xohan Doxos being proved as having no real treasures in his vault S2...

Warlock of Qarth attempting 1 weak assed assassination attempt on Dany in S3...

Grey Worm/Messindei tutoring session....

you get my meaning...D&D make some odd choices sometimes...i'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for Oberyn's head to be crushed....

yes i just realized how horrible that sounded....but i meant it in the best way...honest :blushing:

thanks, puts my mind at ease :cheers:

All I'm saying is that it's speculation, but it may as well be true :/

lot of stuff happen that end up having no logical reason for being there....

Yara declaring in S3 that she's going to save theon....

Xaro Xohan Doxos being proved as having no real treasures in his vault S2...

Warlock of Qarth attempting 1 weak assed assassination attempt on Dany in S3...

Grey Worm/Messindei tutoring session....

you get my meaning...D&D make some odd choices sometimes...i'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for Oberyn's head to be crushed....

yes i just realized how horrible that sounded....but i meant it in the best way...honest :blushing:

For me slashing him with a sword doesn't come close to what happened in the books. They do change stuff around but Gregor basically treating a good, heroic man like Oberyn like a rag doll and destroying his face is what adds to the huge shock of the scene. There needs to be some distinction between the deaths of some nameless men he kills in Sunday's episode with his sword and this.

For me slashing him with a sword doesn't come close to what happened in the books. They do change stuff around but Gregor basically treating a good, heroic man like Oberyn like a rag doll and destroying his face is what adds to the huge shock of the scene. There needs to be some distinction between the deaths of some nameless men he kills in Sunday's episode with his sword and this.

:agree: it should be the most brutal, slow, agonizing death....not just that he beat him, but he basically obliterated him....if Gregor is known for killing a man for snoring, he wouldn't just chop a man in half for trying to kill him...crushing/breaking/destroying him with his bare hands, that fits

How the hell is Oberyn going to full on beat Gregor with him nearly dying on the floor and then get cut in two with a sword?

Why SerArrthurHeath, you must be unsullied? :read:

Oberyn isn't call "The Red Viper" for nothing. ;)

Why SerArrthurHeath, you must be unsullied? :read: ... ;) .

Nah, the way he dies in the book makes sense, being in a dominant position but being too confident and being pulled to the floor and killed could happen. Gregor getting his sword back and getting into a position to cut down Oberyn? Far less likely

Archived