A Compendium of Theories v.2

Angalin

• 2 weeks later...

In the v.1 iteration of this thread, someone kindly posted a link to my Dragonfly hypothesis. Since I can't find a link back to v.1, I am reposting the link here -

A Dragonfly Among the Reeds- Is Howland Reed the Grandson of Duncan the Small?

with humble aspirations that it may someday make the front page.

• 2 weeks later...

Mance and Melisandre ( if she saw Reek in the flames) or Ramsay or Roose is more likely. That's a question I can't wait to have answered, either way it's a obvious sign of how desperate and hopeless Roose Bolton's cause is now that they lost the feigned Arya. The North will switch sides, and all houses want the treacherous Freys to reap what they have sewn. Mayhaps Lord Walder will live forever though. Unlikely... I believe Roose and or Walder will be murdered by their own kin.

Either way I know Roose is going down soon, he held Harrenhall after Tywin and Tywin is dead so Lord Bolton will soon be claimed by the curse of Harren the Black.

Mance and Melisandre ( if she saw Reek in the flames) or Ramsay or Roose is more likely. That's a question I can't wait to have answered, either way it's a obvious sign of how desperate and hopeless Roose Bolton's cause is now that they lost the feigned Arya. The North will switch sides, and all houses want the treacherous Freys to reap what they have sewn. Mayhaps Lord Walder will live forever though. Unlikely... I believe Roose and or Walder will be murdered by their own kin.

Either way I know Roose is going down soon, he held Harrenhall after Tywin and Tywin is dead so Lord Bolton will soon be claimed by the curse of Harren the Black.

I think the letter did come from Ramsay with

How could Stannis write the pink letter, he would of had to know about Reek, and when we see Stannis and Theon together in TWOW sample chapter he (Theon) is keeping his mouth shut about everything even the mummer Arya Jeyne Pool.

I believe Mance or Ramsay wrote it. In the Theon preview chapter, when Stannis was speaking with Ser Justin Massey, he tells Ser Justin that even he hears that Stannis is dead, he should continue with his mission and obtain as many soldiers as he can, which to me only means that Stannis plans to fake his death. It's possible Ramsay went around celebrating his supposed victory over Stannis. Mance overheard this and convinced someone with access to Ramsay's chambers to write the letter or Ramsay wrote the letter himself.

The main objection to Mance writing the letter (as it is with Ramsey too) seems to be the heads on spikes reference as not being in context for a wilding (or a Bolton), but I don't recall ever finding out where in Westeros Mance lived before he took the black.

Think I'm right in saying (text not in front of me) that Mance was a wildling orphan who was raised by the NW so he doesn't really know Westeros at all I imagine, apart from maybe some parts of the north?

Think I'm right in saying (text not in front of me) that Mance was a wildling orphan who was raised by the NW so he doesn't really know Westeros at all I imagine, apart from maybe some parts of the north?

Even if that is the case (which I highly doubt), Mance should have learned in Winterfell what Ramsay would do to his foes.

Edited by AntZ

Even if that is the case (which I highly doubt), Mance should have learned in Winterfell what Ramsay would do to his foes.

No he's right, Mance was raised by the black brothers. But they're all Westerosi, and we know Mance travelled through at least the north since he was at Winterfell when Robert visited in GoT.

He would know about as much as any normal person in Westeros about their head-spiking traditions, and since he's been in wildling land for most of the last few years he might not be too knowledgeable of Ramsay's reviving of the old Bolton tradition.

Edited by Lord Fauntleroy

In the v.1 iteration of this thread, someone kindly posted a link to my Dragonfly hypothesis. Since I can't find a link back to v.1, I am reposting the link here -

A Dragonfly Among the Reeds- Is Howland Reed the Grandson of Duncan the Small?

with humble aspirations that it may someday make the front page.

I certainly hope so! I agree that it is somewhat strange that v.1 is not linked, nor is the founder of the project (Full Faced Braavosi) given any credit, in the OP.

Anyway, for posterity... here is the link to the original

Edited by Lady Gwynhyfvar

The main objection to Mance writing the letter (as it is with Ramsey too) seems to be the heads on spikes reference as not being in context for a wilding (or a Bolton), but I don't recall ever finding out where in Westeros Mance lived before he took the black.

Sorry dude, but the Weeper puts three heads on spikes after he cuts their eyes out in Dance with Dragons

I scanned the list, didn't see any that popped out of me, but some of the theories have ambiguous names and there are a lot of them - could someone tell me which of the theories include the idea that when Lyanna left with Rhaegar, it was either someone else glamoured to appear as Rhaegar or someone was warging Rhaegar (preferably the former).

Re: the pink letter, I think there is a good chance Mance wrote it. The argument that he would not have been able to write it because of his origins ignores that he appears to be a skilled bard with a broad knowledge of poetry and songs from south of the Wall - even if he is just a wildling orphan, he's travelled at least as far south as Winterfell, and maybe farther. There's a good chance that he has an eidetic memory or at least memory enhancing techniques as a musician, so if he's ever got access to a maester's library (for instance, when he visited Winterfell) he could have absorbed a lot of information very quickly.