Angalin

A Compendium of Theories v.2

Alright, so I got a half-baked one, but I still think it might be significant. And I'm not sure whether I can claim credit for it, because although I don't think I've ever seen it before I "came up with it", I can't be certain.

I think that the prophecy/curse of Mirri Maz Duur is coming to a close.

To recap: after Dany has the godswife save Khal Drogo's life only for him to end up in a coma, Daenerys asks, "When will he be as he was?", to which follows:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

The line that has me convinced is the one about the sun. I find it sort of transparent that it refers to Quentyn Martell. He hails from Dorne in Westeros, travels east to Meereen, and promptly gets himself killed. I believe this qualifies as "rises in the west and sets in the east". Now, as for the rest, that's why I say my theory is half-baked - my ideas are as vague as they come. "The seas go dry" could refer to the Ironborn, who are getting increasingly significant, or perhaps to the arid Dothraki Sea, or to something else entirely. "The mountains blow in the wind like leaves" point me to the Mountain, who may or may not already be sort of dead, and may or may not be set up for a second death. Or it might mean some literal mountains getting destroyed, which Euron Greyjoy's supposed prepared blood magic sacrifice cataclysm shenanigans can easily cause. And the line about wombs and children confounds me utterly. It could mean the dragons, or literal children which we are yet to see. Or to something else which I hope you fellows can spot where I haven't. Or it might be the loose thread that causes this whole theory to unravel.

Thoughts?

@Bastard of Starfall Welcome to the forums. You'll find that this thread is not the best place to start a debate on a new theory. I'd advise you to start a new, separated thread, with your theory as subject. Good luck.

The Ironborn have been the Children's primary antagonist. Their power resides with the sea and their Drowned God. The Children called down the comet and resulting tsunami to sever the Iron Islands from the mainland. The Ironborn then turned to raiding for a living, so the Children turned to ice magic to try and freeze their water magic out, but that didn't stop the Ironborn from practicing magic. It just froze their water magic and they created white walker soldiers.

The First Men were enlisted to help. They could round up any Ironborn humans during daylight hours and imprison them in cells until the Wall could be built - keeping them separated and unable to make the sacrifices necessary to work magic. After the Wall was built the water magic of the Ironborn was contained and warded with woven layers of ice magic.

Fast forward to Harren the Black who built Harrenhal in the Riverlands to mock the old gods. He clear cut all the weirwoods and dug up any greenseers he found. The surviving remnant of Children fled beyond the Wall into the cave where they now reside. Fire magic was summoned to deal with Harren by way of Aegon the Conqueror and Harrenhal was destroyed. The Targaryens united six of the kingdoms and made alliances with the seventh. Peace was restored for 300 years.

The Citadel and their maesters have been working on reducing the strength of the fire magic over the last 300 years. By having a maester in every great House they are fighting a war of propaganda teaching children a warped history so that they think historical threats and stories were so far in the past as to be legends and myths, gremlins and snarks. The dragons have died out, each generation reduced in size, either by confinement or poisoning or both. Once the Targaryens were weakened enough, they saw their chance and plotted a scheme where they pinned the blame for a kidnapping on the heir apparent in order to have a "just cause" to rally the Houses, take the Iron Throne, and install an Andal king.

Back to the Ironborn - Damphair has a terrible memory of Euron and a squeaky hinge - the Wall is a hinge, and hinges hold doors. Somehow the wards holding the water magic were unwoven and opened releasing the Ironborn's Drowned God into the North. Ice magic is still holding the Wall up as a barrier, but the water magic was released, albeit frozen. The wildlings are descendants of Ironborn and still have the knowledge to create white walkers. They're only pretending to flee, when really the white walkers and wights are their vanguard. Euron has sent Victarion to intercept Dany and her dragons so that they cannot be used against his frozen Drowned God when it breaks free of the Wall.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:07 PM, animalia said:

OK this may sound crazy but could the Others be named for the philosophy of the other, and if so what does that say about their true motives?

Not crazy at all! This occurred to me as well, though not as fully as a certain YouTuber who discusses this quite explicitly in a number of his "tinfoily" videos...